Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
Mr. Coconut
Mr. Coconut began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505
Prs505 not seeing all books

I have a prs505, which I love dearly. I have a sizeable collection of texts that I maintain, most of which are scanned archival documents (I am a historian), but also some books I purchased and a collection of journal articles. I use an 8GB SDHC card to accommodate a total of around 520 texts.

For the past few weeks, I have been unable to normally add new texts. I would transfer an article and it would simply not show up in the reader at all. I normally do this via calibre, but I also tried the sony software. With the latter, I have been able to transfer these texts if I do them one by one and even then, sometimes they do not show up.

I have tried several options, including wiping the SD card and transfering the whole library anew: the result of that is invariably that it will take a long time for the reader to index them, but then only shows a portion of the texts I transferred: about half of them. The results are the same using calibre and sony software. I did a soft reset as well as a hard reset, and even simply transferred all the texts manually, to no avail.

I tried using a different card (also 8GB SDHC) with the exact same results. It's driving me crazy. The whole point of owning this thing is so that I can carry a large library of stuff with me.

Any suggestions?
Mr. Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
What are the formats of the files that are not showing on the reader?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Mr. Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
What are the formats of the files that are not showing on the reader?
Sadly, that includes PDF, LRF, LRX, and EPUB. Of all of these, some will appear and others will not. It does not appear to be related to the format.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Do you put all files in the card's root directory? How many files are already in the root? Do the file work if you put them into internal memory?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Mr. Coconut

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Do you put all files in the card's root directory? How many files are already in the root? Do the file work if you put them into internal memory?
I tried a variety of things, including:
1) formating card, and transfering all files anew with calibre.
2) formating card, and transfering all files anew with Sony's software.
3) formating card, and transfering all files anew manually into the root directory.

Tried all three with two different cards.

The results are the same in each case. Out of 511 files, about 269 show up. Not always the same ones. I cannot attempt this with the built-in memory, since it is not large enough. I could transfer some of them, but that defeats the purpose. All of the files themselves do work: I have tried random selections of files that failed to show up and transfered only those, in which case they work just fine.

I should point out that each time, regardless of the method of transfer (sony software, calibre, manual), all the files are physically present on the card. The prs505 just fails to see all of them.

I'm probably going to have to ditch it and go for an Iliad instead, because this is driving me batty. I just hate wasting the money.
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 AM   #6
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Coconut View Post
Sadly, that includes PDF, LRF, LRX, and EPUB. Of all of these, some will appear and others will not. It does not appear to be related to the format.
It might be choking on one of the books in there (badly formatted or something like that). Try eliminating it by only loading the PDFs. See what happens. Then only the LRFs. See what happens. And so on.

Aside from this, I have found the SDHC support a little wonky at the best of times, I have had better results with memorystick.

Oh, and before you start doing the tests with single format files, first format the internal memory of the reader. A clean start does wonders sometimes.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote