Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #16
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Does anyone know of a really good keyboard case which either flips comfortably back to use the iPad in a tablet mode (eg standing up making a speech, etc), or which it's very quick and easy to remove the iPad from multiple times a day (less preferred option)? It's ok if the keyboard's small, but it shouldn't have too bizarre a layout. iPad 4, kid going to high school next year.

Right now I'm thinking of just sending him with his current case, which is a good one with 360 spin and adjustable tilt, and a separate Apple Bluetooth keyboard which I have lying around. He's interested in a folio keyboard case, but much perusal of review sites leaves me pretty unsatisfied with the current options that I can find.
Yeah, the Clamcase does that well. It is pretty pricey as far as keyboards go. My only issue is that it's pretty stiff and will scare you into thinking you broke it. But you can stand it up like a laptop, flip the keyboard over to the back, and adjust it so you can watch something on it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:59 AM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I read reviews of the Clamcase where the people had bought it and used it for more than a day or two (unlike the tech review sites), and quite a few of them were pretty abysmal - hinges cracking within a couple months, etc. It also says it tips easily when used in "laptop" mode, difficult to get the right viewing angle when typing, and that it's too heavy to hold one-handed when flipped back.

I'd also really prefer one that you can spin the iPad to portrait mode when typing, but they seem very few and far between for some reason.

Last edited by meeera; 09-08-2014 at 01:04 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2014, 04:13 AM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Does anyone know of a really good keyboard case which either flips comfortably back to use the iPad in a tablet mode (eg standing up making a speech, etc), or which it's very quick and easy to remove the iPad from multiple times a day (less preferred option)? It's ok if the keyboard's small, but it shouldn't have too bizarre a layout. iPad 4, kid going to high school next year.

Right now I'm thinking of just sending him with his current case, which is a good one with 360 spin and adjustable tilt, and a separate Apple Bluetooth keyboard which I have lying around. He's interested in a folio keyboard case, but much perusal of review sites leaves me pretty unsatisfied with the current options that I can find.
If he's going to use it on a desk, the following is excellent and well balanced, because the ipad is located about 1/3 along the keyboard. No overbalancing. Its what i have.
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/produc...keyboard-cover
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #19
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
If he's going to use it on a desk, the following is excellent and well balanced, because the ipad is located about 1/3 along the keyboard. No overbalancing. Its what i have.
http://www.logitech.com/en-au/produc...keyboard-cover
That's one of the ones that made it to my desultory shortlist - good to have a personal recommendation. Is it quite light and usable when you pick it up and fold it back?

ETA - hang on, I think I remember why I crossed it off - it doesn't actually protect the iPad, does it? Bear in mind this has to go into a 12-year-old's schoolbag every day.

Last edited by meeera; 09-08-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:32 AM   #20
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
That's one of the ones that made it to my desultory shortlist - good to have a personal recommendation. Is it quite light and usable when you pick it up and fold it back?

ETA - hang on, I think I remember why I crossed it off - it doesn't actually protect the iPad, does it? Bear in mind this has to go into a 12-year-old's schoolbag every day.
No, it probably wont be any more protective than an Apple smartcover. Its subject to the same movement etc, and potentially could turn on the ipad in his bag. To be honest I really can't think of too many covers that will do the job properly and effectively for a schoolboy. Like the apple Smart Cover, its attached with a very similar connecting piece, and is easily detached. I usually carry that all inside a neoprene zippered slipcase, if I am taking it away from home in my shoulder bag.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Does a 12-year-old actually need to take a computer to school? I'm afraid I'm rather out of touch with current education methods!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #22
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I'd be very interested in such a device.

Still trying to find a replacement for my Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121 --- which I think I'm going to go back to after giving up on my ThinkPad X61 (convertible) Tablet.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #23
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does a 12-year-old actually need to take a computer to school? I'm afraid I'm rather out of touch with current education methods!
Yeah, it's the "new thing". They think that incorporating technology in education helps because it's more engaging. I think it's possible, but a lot of school districts are not being very smart about it and are frustrated because they've lost control.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

It seems to be well supported and to be working well at the school he's going to. I'm pretty happy about it, since he types far better than he hand-writes, for Reasons, so it removes a pointless, unnecessary frustration. The teachers communicate regularly with parents by email, the library has both electronic resources and paper books, kids generate work electronically and submit assignments electronically (using Dropbox for example), you can order food in advance from the canteen and pay online so the kids don't have to carry cash, and so on and so on. Plenty of learning of real-world skills is going on there and plenty of potential for improved communication as well as convenience.

His current non-keyboard case is quite protective - the iPad back snaps into a pretty thick shell, and the front flip cover is somewhat padded also. There's a wide firm elastic strap to secure it closed.

Last edited by meeera; 09-08-2014 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:51 PM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
From what I've read, Apple's research has shown that a touch screen device with a keyboard isn't very ergonomic. In general, people prefer to have the mouse/trackpad right next to the keyboard so they don't have to move their hand large distances...
That's the main reason, why I've sold my Google Chromebook Pixel.
Everything worked like a charm.
But I simply couldn't make much use of the touchscreen. Why lean over the keyboard and touch the display, if the touchpad is so much closer?
For that reason, I find Surface Pro much more convenient. I can prop it up and have a keyboard almost as good as the one on MacBook Air or Chromebook Pixel. But I easily can detach the keyboard and use Surface Pro as a full blown tablet..
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #26
Rps
Grammar and Grandpa!
Rps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one handRps can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD, iPad Air
Quote:
I have a Surface Pro and find that the combination of touchscreen and keyboard works well. I use the keyboard/touchpad for tasks that need precision, and the touchscreen for things like scrolling through a web page, or tapping a button.
From what I have noticed with my friends who have the 12. Inch Samsung, I would agree with HarryT here.

While I have an iPad Air, I struggled with getting an iPad or ab MBA. What I really wanted as a tab version of the MBA, and if Apple doesn't move in that direction they may be in trouble. I have used both the Samsung and the Pro and both would work quite nicely in an office environment.
Rps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yep, in the USA they often do. The little buggers are packing laptops, iPads, and iPhones. It is a wonder they get around to actually learning anything. In my day we had to use slide rules in math class. Even in college we were not allowed to use the new TI electronic pocket calculators that had just hit the market. The profs were afraid we would program the answers into them. Now a days though USA school kids rely on computers and calculators. That is why McDonald's and other fast food restaurants have to use special cash registers with pictures on them instead of numbers! The kids who work at McDonald's cannot add numbers. I think we went way overboard in the use of computerized aids for school kids because now they cannot even add well, much less work calculus equations.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #28
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I have a Surface Pro and find that the combination of touchscreen and keyboard works well. I use the keyboard/touchpad for tasks that need precision, and the touchscreen for things like scrolling through a web page, or tapping a button.
I've got a Lenovo Yoga 2 11 that is similar in that it runs Win 8.1 but has the touchscreen. I do pretty much the same as you do on the SP. I do notice that the touchscreen seems more accurate than on my iPad. But I like the Yoga because it has the built in keyboard but can also be folded over to form a tablet.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yep, in the USA they often do. The little buggers are packing laptops, iPads, and iPhones. It is a wonder they get around to actually learning anything. In my day we had to use slide rules in math class. Even in college we were not allowed to use the new TI electronic pocket calculators that had just hit the market. The profs were afraid we would program the answers into them. Now a days though USA school kids rely on computers and calculators. That is why McDonald's and other fast food restaurants have to use special cash registers with pictures on them instead of numbers! The kids who work at McDonald's cannot add numbers. I think we went way overboard in the use of computerized aids for school kids because now they cannot even add well, much less work calculus equations.
I'm pretty supremely unconcerned about any of that. He can already do arithmetic just fine, thanks, being the end of Australian primary school with some quality teaching and learning having taken place. His last lot of formal testing they were allowed to use calculators for one portion, and he didn't bother, just for a challenge.

Any teacher with a clue is aware of things like How Calculators Work. The tests at the moment tend to have one portion with calculators allowed, and one not, so that kids both learn head/paper calculations and learn to use appropriate tools. The tech isn't a problem; some teaching methods may be. There have always been illiterate and innumerate kids out there. It's also possible that these days, they're expected to function in environments they would not have been expected to function in in the past.

Back in my day, most high school students graduated without even knowing how to touch-type. They were completely unprepared for the modern world!!1!

Last edited by meeera; 09-09-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I'm pretty supremely unconcerned about any of that. He can already do arithmetic just fine, thanks, being the end of Australian primary school with some quality teaching and learning having taken place. His last lot of formal testing they were allowed to use calculators for one portion, and he didn't bother, just for a challenge.

Any teacher with a clue is aware of things like How Calculators Work. The tests at the moment tend to have one portion with calculators allowed, and one not, so that kids both learn head/paper calculations and learn to use appropriate tools. The tech isn't a problem; some teaching methods may be. There have always been illiterate and innumerate kids out there. It's also possible that these days, they're expected to function in environments they would not have been expected to function in in the past.

Back in my day, most high school students graduated without even knowing how to touch-type. They were completely unprepared for the modern world!!1!
Just a comment: You are in Australia and I was referring to the American (USA) school system. So chill out please. Two separate systems, two separate cultures. In USA we now have what we call "helicopter moms" because they hover over their children and do everything for them and complain if they get a 98 instead of a 100 and sue the schools for any reason if their precious little brat isn't treated like a prince or princess. The helicopter moms do their brats's homework for them, try to go on job interviews with them, etc. etc. As a result we now have a generation of Millennial college grads who cannot perform the jobs they were hired for. Even new nurse graduates are so poorly prepared that hospitals have to retrain them themselves. I'm glad Australia, and most of the rest of the world, does education much better than we do here. The American education system is a big mess, as are the helicopter moms.