Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
funny problem with Webster dictionaries

Hi all, since the 2.1.1 release I have a problem that only applies to the webster dictionary: if I use it and try and type in a word, the keyboard that pops up is the one for the non touch models, while my device is a 903. If I go back to e.g. the Oxford dictionary, all is well, i.e. I get the standard qwerty keyboard - it is just the Webseter dictionaries (I've got two versions).

I have tried resetting the device, as well as deleting and copying the dictionary files again. Bear in mind that up to the 2.1.2 FW all was well - has anybody else encountered this problem? Have you got any tips to sort this out?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
Hi Paola,
I don't know if something it's changed in last firmwares, but since the keyboard is actually embedded with the dictionary with a source file that contains two keyboards, one for the 602/902 series and one for the 603/903 separated by a blank line, my guess is that the firmware you're using is encountering some error when checking for the last keyboard, providing you the first keyboard type.
If the Webster's is one of those downloaded from the pocketbook dictionary thread, maybe there is need of a newer dictionary converter to get rid of the problem...
Or maybe I'm wrong.
I'd be glad to try your file with my old 2.0.5 firmware if you'll provide me a download link.
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi preempalver, many thanks for this - I presume I cannot modify the line of code in question in the dictionary? So if I understand you I should convert teh dictionaries from "dic" to "dic"?
I have a bandwith problem now to upload the dictionaries, but I can definitely do it tomorrow evening, and I'd be grateful if you could check the dictionaries for me. Many thanks and k !
Old 12-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
paola
Wizard

thanks preempalver, here are the two links to the two versions of the webster dictionary:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19955182/MerriamWebster.dic
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19955182/Webster1913.dic

How can I get rid of the code telling the device is a non touch one?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
Well, you can't, unless you have the text source for the dictionaries.
I can confirm the behaviour you observed even with my PB603 fw 2.0.5, for both the files you've provided here.

For the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate I had a text source and I've been able to recompile the dictionary, though.
I'm afraid at the time I tinkered a lot with the original text formatting, so it's not as clean as the one you have, but the touch keyboard it's working for me, at least. I'm confident that the voices are the same.

For the 1913 version, I've never found a source to play with, so far.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Merriam-Webster's Collegiate.zip (8.42 MB, 116 views)
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
Hi Paola,
I have tried your files on my pb903 with fw 2.1.2(RC6) and I can confirm the same behavior as your pb903 .
I have a few different (weight in mb) webster dictionary file, which work well on my pb903 and open the right keyboard. I don't know if I can post them here (copyright etc.???, tell me if I can I'll do it) or if you want, I can send them you by email.
Sorry, my bad English
nausica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
paola
Wizard

preempalver, nausica, many thanks - I'll see if I find the source of the two dictionaries I have, and post them.
Nausica, the webster is out of copyright, so there is no problem posting it, but it is probably too large a file: I can pm you my email, of if you have something like Dropbox to upload it to, I can download it there.
Anyhow, thanks and karma to both!
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
nausica
Connoisseur
nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!nausica has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Energy Reader Pro
Ciao Paola,
Oh, I have the Dropbox but I haven't used it at all.
Now, I'm uploading the dictionaries, goes a little slow, and then I'll put the link here, just as you did, okay?
I hope I'll be able to do it right
Thanks for the karma

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39132661/en%...ge_and_1_0.dic
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39132661/en%...llegiate11.dic
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39132661/en%...nabridged3.dic
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39132661/mwc.dic
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39132661/webster_1913.dic

Last edited by nausica; 12-13-2011 at 05:31 PM.
nausica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
paola
Wizard

nausica, thanks a million - and in the meantime rummaging in my computer I've found a number of the original Pocketbook dictionaries, and they also all seem to work - so now I've got plenty of them
again, thanks a lot!