Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
Xiaopangzi
Enthusiast
Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.Xiaopangzi 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: kindle k3, prs-t2
Post Who killed the bookstore?

Insightful and enjoyable read:

Who killed the bookstore? A Fairview attorney, and his Kindle
Xiaopangzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Me in a nutshell....almost. The exception: I do still think that paper books are for readers. I do not see myself abandoning them altogether.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
pietrocrazy
Connoisseur
pietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enoughpietrocrazy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quite premature, since bookstores aren't actually dead yet (and I doubt they ever will be). They're suffering now, to be sure, but so are a lot of businesses nowadays. I don't think there's enough evidence now to attribute it to ereaders.
pietrocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
I browse the aisles, grab a cup at the coffee shop, and make mental notes of new and interesting titles. Then I go home and see what I can get on my Kindle. I love bookstores for the experience they offer, but I don't really want to buy my books in them.
This has probably hurt bookstores more than anything. It's not the Kindle itself that is hurting bookstores but the fact that you can get cheaper books at places like Amazon, Half.com, etc. People just aren't getting books from bookstores. They like the experience of the bookstore but not buying books from bookstores. E-Books are just helping to speed up the process.

I admit that when I first heard about the trouble Borders and to a lesser extent, Barnes & Noble were having, I was sad. Now, however, I think I'm resigned to it. I still don't buy from Amazon and I won't buy a Kindle. However, if the Borders near me goes belly up, I'll just go to Barnes & Noble and buy e-Books. If both chains get greatly reduced or even go away, I suppose it'll be poetic justice for what they did to the independents anyway. *shrugs*
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I see a lot of myself in this article. I too will mourn bookstores when they're gone, even though I not longer use them.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
well, i would think that bookstores may evolve to make room for these changes. tbh, the world's resources are not unlimited, and if there is any way to help trees, i would take that route. we buy our bond paper from sellers who farm their own trees.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
E-readers didn't kill Borders. Amazon killed Borders. Just like Borders killed mall bookstores and mall bookstores killed independent bookstores (except for the few that survived to be killed by Borders). Borders (and to a lesser extent B&N) have been bleeding for a long time.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
That was a fun article. I'm new to eReading and have a Kobo, not a Kindle, so I'm not really like the writer. I haven't been purchasing as many books as I used to for several reasons. One of these is that I've had a grown-up job with a long commute for almost 6 years now and, before that, I had a job and grad school. But it isn't even that so much. I discovered the Internet and audiobooks, which may or may not count in this equation, and became addicted to both so I spend much, much less time reading.

That is why I got an eReader, actually. I have hopes it will get me away from multitasking so much and get me away from the computer screen. I grew up loving to read. This carried into my early adulthood. I still read 2-4 books in a week when I am on vacation at a cousin's in Cambridge, MA. I love the Harvard bookstore. When I am on vacation, I am less worried about what I should be doing in the way of errands, housecleaning, or yardwork. Also, I don't bring my computer with me.

Anway, I think bookstores are in trouble for several reasons and eReaders are the least of those, though they do play a part. People spend time on the Internet they used to spend reading. Amazon is cheaper than bookstores and the economy has been bad for a couple of years. Books are a bit of a luxury. If you're a reader and you're hurting financially, you can go to the library.

And if my neighbor doesn't return my beautiful, hardcover edition of Neil Gaiman's Graveyard Book, I am not going to be happy.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #9
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Interesting article which says it all. I too love bookstores and love browsing them, but it's the reading experience that I'm after. I have always used my local library to feed my habit, could never afford to buy pbooks to do it, and generally don't want to keep a book after I've read it any way. The exception is a book on some activity or hobby that I pursue, than I'll buy the book because I know I want to use it often and it probably has big colour pictures that I want too. Unless the ereader is as big as a book it won't be able to display pictures as well as a pbook and that would defeat the purpose for me, which is to have lots of books in a small device. I'm also unconvinced that it's ebooks which are hurting bookshops, it's the availability of cheap pbooks on line that's having the biggest effect, at least where I live. And I still use the library a lot too, that's not just cheap it's free.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #10
FastPop
FastPop began at the beginning.

Device: none
We will always have bookstores and libraries. It's form and format will just change.
FastPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 AM   #11
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Stephen King!

I'm actually somewhat serious. Once books moved to the Blockbuster model, where only a handful of book titles make up most of the book sales, bookstores became largely irrelevant.

Really, I think it was that ruling about taxes and back stock that moved books to this model. They just couldn't afford to keep a large catalog in print any more. So they didn't. So why go to a bookstore if the selection is terrible? As same as you'd find in a Target or Wal-mart or even a grocery store?
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:10 AM   #12
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I love Amazon.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 AM   #13
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I love Amazon.
same here. i just don't love the additional $2 someone suggested that they wished that "free" delivery by whispernet should have been optional to avoid the $2 for those using the kindle wifi or other devices. i agree
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Haven't set foot in a bookstore since the 90's. Don't see any need for them to even exist anymore.

Long live the Net
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
For me, there are two types of books -- those that you want to keep for display in a bookshelf or coffee table, and loan to friends in exchange for their loaners; and those disposable, quick-reads for fun that you never care to read again. Most of my reading material is devoid of pictures, so screen size is a non-issue, and when it is, my big 24" computer monitor suffices quite well.

I do not have a Borders or Barnes & Noble within 75 miles of me, so I won't miss them.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote