Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
My 2 cents worth on the jetBook

I couldn't resist the $179-shipped Fry's deal and got a jetBook. I have tried a few formats and am on Chapter 3 of a Tom Swift book in PDF format from Feedbooks. The PDF is a "custom" version with values that I found on the jetBook formum site. It is extremely readable. I also flashed it with the update as soon as I got it charged up.

My likes:
  • The thing is georgous!
  • The size. It is much smaller than a normal 6-inch reader.
  • The screen. Mine is perfect. It has one of the issues described in another thread.
  • A lot of people would say the instant page turns, but the "flashy" page turns of e-ink don't bother me.
  • Books can be deleted directly in the jetBook.
  • File folders for organizing books.
  • PDF works well, especially when custom formatted.
  • Mobi works well. Non-DRMed of course.
  • I think RTF works OK with tweaking of the input file. The one I tried treated the entire book as one paragraph. I am pretty sure I can fix that in the original file, but haven't tried yet.
  • Battery life compared to my Touch. I still read on it, but the battery life is so short that it's annoying. I expect to get a couple of days reading on the jetBook.

Things I don't like:
  • No DRM support. Not a real big deal for me because I format shift most books anyway.
  • Mixed results from epub books. I tried a couple that I generated via Calibre and they both stopped after the table of contents, which was 4 page in one book and 6 pages in the other. I've crossed epub off my list for reading on the jetBook.
  • HTML support. It is not listed specs, but I did have one HTML book open. Others did not. This would be a welcome feature for me!
  • Battery life. It is not in the same ballpark as an e-ink device!
  • The book list is updated only when the SD card is inserted while the unit is on. I always turn my EZ Reader of to take out the SD card.
  • The wife hasn't seen it yet and I'll pay dearly when she finds out I have yet another ebook reader!

My conclusions are that I like it. It is not as good as the current e-ink devices, but that is mostly from a software stand point. The jetBook with better software below the $200 could be a killer machine! The jetBook with better software at +-$200 would be a killer machine! By software, I mean formats that work and DRM; the general user interface with search, deleting files, etc. is fine. I have been doubtful about 5-inch readers, but now I firmly believe that they will do well in the marketplace! I believe that the magic price point for mass reader acceptance is $199. 5-inch readers could be that item!

Last edited by smithno; 04-29-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Updated my likes.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Good summary. Thank you for the review. Alas, you convinced me I don't really need to spend that much money for an extra 1-1/2" of reading space. I guess I'll stick to my PDA for now.

It's a shame, because my favorite ebook reader was my ancient Compaq Aero 1550 PDA, which had a screen similar to the jetBook. It was easily readable under almost all lighting conditions. The ones you couldn't read it in, you probably shouldn't be reading in anyway. I was sorely tempted by the BB&B announcement, but the closest BB&B store in New England with jetBooks is in Somerville, MA, and I was just not that motivated.

Sigh. Maybe when the price drops below $150.

Thanks,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Hi smithno,
Thank you for your review! I downloaded several books in ePub format from Gutenberg.org and some of them were illustrated. I had no problems to open it.
Did you try ePub books from Gutenberg.org?
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
Good summary. Thank you for the review. Alas, you convinced me I don't really need to spend that much money for an extra 1-1/2" of reading space. I guess I'll stick to my PDA for now.

It's a shame, because my favorite ebook reader was my ancient Compaq Aero 1550 PDA, which had a screen similar to the jetBook. It was easily readable under almost all lighting conditions. The ones you couldn't read it in, you probably shouldn't be reading in anyway. I was sorely tempted by the BB&B announcement, but the closest BB&B store in New England with jetBooks is in Somerville, MA, and I was just not that motivated.

Sigh. Maybe when the price drops below $150.

Thanks,
Jack Tingle
$150 price looks unreal but NewEgg.com sell it for $199.95 and they don't charge taxes.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Thanks for the review. Mine should arrive today~
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 04:59 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
You do realize that the 1-1/2" addition gives twice the reading area? It is a significant difference. There are also several 5" E-INK devices becoming available and if 1-1/2" isn't enough you might go with an eBookwise 1150 with a 2" larger screen and even cheaper.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You do realize that the 1-1/2" addition gives twice the reading area? It is a significant difference...
Dale
Well, no it isn't a significant difference to me, not at $200. Doubling the reading space is nice, but you also double the weight, and now have to keep track of 2 pieces of hardware. I just got my PDA and my cell phone to be one object. Paying to go backward to 2 hunks of plastic is a disadvantage. Doubling the reading area just isn't enough.

It's too bad, but my current system works OK. The improvement (the game) is not worth the cost (the candle), to mangle a quote.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Is the Jetbook backlit?
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Is the Jetbook backlit?
No, it is not backlit and never will be.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM   #10
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No, it is not backlit and never will be.
That's a shame. I won't buy an LCD unless its backlit.

Thanks for your oh-so-complete answer. If I remember correctly, you are the guy that gets all irratated when anyone just mentions LCD or backlight.

Why would this be any better than e-Ink then? My PRS-505 has a ton more battery power. The only reason I can see getting LCD is to have a backlight. I would likely recommend getting an ebookwise-1150 if you don't want e-Ink. I can't see paying nearly $200 on an LCD device that doesn't work in the dark. Better yet, I'm still waiting for an answer on that 4.3" PMP in the other thread. Only $70 bucks!

I went back to reading on my Nokia 770 for the time being. The PRS-505 just sits there. I don't much like the light for it (which actually makes it worse than reading on an LCD), and since I read mostly in the dark, I'm just looking for the right device.

Last edited by ColdSun; 05-06-2009 at 07:46 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:11 AM   #11
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Is the Jetbook backlit?
The detailed information about jetBook screen available here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
Old 05-29-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
profnachos
Connoisseur
profnachos began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithno View Post
The PDF is a "custom" version with values that I found on the jetBook formum site. It is extremely readable.
Could you elaborate on that? What do you mean a "custom" version?
profnachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 AM   #13
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
I would also be curious to know, as a potential Jetbook buyer.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #14
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
I'd really like to know also. I have many ebooks in PDF format and I own the full Acrobat program, so I can edit the PDFs. But I have no idea if/how to change the page size and font type/size. It would be wonderful if I could format the PDF books for the jetBook screen without margins, etc. I know next-to-nothing about Acrobat editing.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #15
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I'd really like to know also. I have many ebooks in PDF format and I own the full Acrobat program, so I can edit the PDFs. But I have no idea if/how to change the page size and font type/size. It would be wonderful if I could format the PDF books for the jetBook screen without margins, etc. I know next-to-nothing about Acrobat editing.
See the User’s Guide to Creating PDFs for the Sony® Reader attached.
It can be used for jetBook screen too in case if you use 5" settings instead of 6" size.

I hope it will help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sony-pdf.pdf (1,010.9 KB, 755 views)

Tags
jetbook, opinion