Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #361
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Now that Google is really jumping in with multiple Nexus devices, I have no intention of buying non-Nexus again. Last year at this time, that wasn't the case.
Indeed. Especially when you can get a Nexus at about 1/2 the price of competing devices. With Google setting a new benchmark in prices, I hope other manufacturers follow suit and stop asking $600+ for high-end smartphones and tablets.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #362
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Indeed. Especially when you can get a Nexus at about 1/2 the price of competing devices. With Google setting a new benchmark in prices, I hope other manufacturers follow suit and stop asking $600+ for high-end smartphones and tablets.
It's outrageous what everyone else charges for unlocked devices.

Given a choice between a 32GB iPod touch 5 for $300 and a 16GB Nexus 4 for $350, I'll choose the Nexus 4 any day.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #363
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
It is what it is - a crippled Android device, but not as crippled as my iPod touch. The market for media players isn't that great and options are severely limited.

Now that Google is really jumping in with multiple Nexus devices, I have no intention of buying non-Nexus again. Last year at this time, that wasn't the case.

As to media players; the next time I'm in the market for one, I'll seriously consider an unlocked Nexus phone for that role. Until then, my Galaxy Player serves me well for its role - a pocket web device with turn-by-turn Google Maps navigation. I really don't care that it'll never get beyond 2.3.whatever.
I recall reading that your iPod was recently upgraded to iOS 6.

Seems to me that you lack the self-awareness to recognize the cognitive dissonance inherent in defending the Android platform while not caring about non-Nexus devices and their problems, which represent >90% of the platform.

Last edited by holymadness; 10-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #364
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
It is what it is - a crippled Android device, but not as crippled as my iPod touch. The market for media players isn't that great and options are severely limited.

As to media players; the next time I'm in the market for one, I'll seriously consider an unlocked Nexus phone for that role. Until then, my Galaxy Player serves me well for its role - a pocket web device with turn-by-turn Google Maps navigation. I really don't care that it'll never get beyond 2.3.whatever.
If only the Nexus 4 had a microSD slot or double the storage for the same price THEN I would join you. Given the size of some apps and games, plus media, 8GB (actual available space is lower) greatly reduces the usefulness of the handset.

As things stand now, I'll buy a 16GB Samsung Galaxy SII new for $299 (no contract T-Mobile) and pay $10 to unlock it.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #365
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I seriously wonder how you expect other companies to make money when they're forced to compete with Google who can sell Nexus devices at cost because they profit from search. I don't see Samsung, HTC, and LG branching out of the hardware business. If there are no more margins on hardware, hardware competitors can't exist.

And don't forget that those low upfront costs come with hidden costs down the road. Uninstallable bloatware on new phones. Locked bootloaders. Spammy advertisements in built-in services. Low R&D budgets. Carrier-locked handsets sold only on contract.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #366
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I seriously wonder how you expect other companies to make money when they're forced to compete with Google who can sell Nexus devices at cost because they profit from search. I don't see Samsung, HTC, and LG branching out of the hardware business. If there are no more margins on hardware, hardware competitors can't exist.
That is one of the reasons why Google gimps the Nexus devices. They'll offer barebones at rock bottom prices and leaves Samsung, HTC, and LG to offer higher priced handsets that include the features that others will want. Makes sense.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #367
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I recall reading that your iPod was recently upgraded to iOS 6.
I did and I've seen no difference between it and iOS 5. So no big deal.

Quote:
Seems to me that you lack the self-awareness to recognize the cognitive dissonance inherent in defending the Android platform while not caring about non-Nexus devices and their problems, which represent >90% of the platform.
...them's sum mighty big words in there.

The only part of the platform I'm interested in is the Nexus part.

But rest assured, I plan to inherent a banana plantation from a rich uncle.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #368
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
That is one of the reasons why Google gimps the Nexus devices. They'll offer barebones at rock bottom prices and leaves Samsung, HTC, and LG to offer higher priced handsets that include the features that others will want. Makes sense.
Gimps? In the other thread the usual suspects couldn't get over how cutting-edge the latest Nexus offerings are.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #369
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
I did and I've seen no difference between it and iOS 5. So no big deal.
So your one media player is running an OS from December 2010. The other was upgraded to the latest OS in September 2012. No big deal.

Quote:
The only part of the platform I'm interested in is the Nexus part.
Good to know.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #370
WillysJeepMan
Guru

Quote:
Gimps? In the other thread the usual suspects couldn't get over how cutting-edge the latest Nexus offerings are.
Yes gimps. There is more to a device than screen size and pixel density.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #371
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
So your one media player is running an OS from December 2010. The other was upgraded to the latest OS in September 2012. No big deal.
Right, no big deal. Why should it be? My iPod with iOS 6 works no better than it did with iOS 5.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #372
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Good to know.
Are you keeping a dossier on monkey?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #373
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Right, no big deal. Why should it be? My iPod with iOS 6 works no better than it did with iOS 5.
iOS 5 was released in October 2011, a year after your Galaxy Player's software. Keep going.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #374
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
iOS 5 was released in October 2011, a year after your Galaxy Player's software. Keep going.
And...
Old 10-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #375
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
And...
I don't know why you're playing dumb. If your iPod were still running iOS 4, released in 2010, as your Galaxy Player is, you'd be crying for blood. Awful Apple, forced obsolescence, blah blah. You can't convince anyone that you truly think there's no difference between a modern OS and an OS released two years ago.

As I said, cognitive dissonance.

Quote:
Are you keeping a dossier on monkey?
No, I just find it interesting to see people defend Android without understanding the Android business model.