Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #421
IsabelRinging
IsabelRinging began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hi! I'm currently experiencing a problem authorizing on Goodreads on 2 separate Windows 7 machines (laptop at home and desktop at work). Whenever I try to authorize the plugin w/ Goodreads, the Goodreads home page appears and Calibre isn't listed under authorized apps in my profile. It worked previously on my laptop but after I upgraded Calibre and the plugin recently, Goodreads had a listing for 'unknown app' on my profile. I deleted it to try again with no luck. I installed Calibre and the plugin on my work PC to try with a fresh install but that didn't work either. My work machine is running Windows 7 Professional, SP1. I installed Calibre version 0.8.65 and Goodreads Sync version 1.7.1. I've used IE 8.0.7601.17514 and Chrome 21.0.1180.79. Are there any additional steps I can take to authorize it? Thanks!
IsabelRinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #422
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Isabel - welcome to MobileRead.

I'm afraid any authorization issues you should take up with Goodreads, there isn't anything I can do about it. It does happen that from time to time their authorization service is down or has issues, or it could be a problem with your account. Any time there has been problems with this in the past (if you look back through the thread) it has been resolved by Goodreads at some point. Try their help desk and see how you get on...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #423
IsabelRinging
IsabelRinging began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
OK, thanks for the response!
IsabelRinging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #424
Phoenixfyrs
Phoenixfyrs began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you so much!!! I hope you can also get Meta Data off Goodreads cause it has a LOT of my books listed that aren't listed anywhere else. They even have ISBN# and ASIN# available
Phoenixfyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #425
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@phoenixfyrs - welcome to MobileRead.

There is a separate plugin here which you can use for getting metadata from Goodreads. That will retrieve ISBN, it isn't possible to retrieve ASIN though.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #426
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
hi,
thanks for the great plugin first of all.
i think i found a bug reg. read-date. although I am only pushing data from calibre to goodreads, the sync results in the plugin filling out the read-date (using current date) for records where read-date is undefined. result is that undefined dissapears as a value, and the current date is filled in all those records. doesn't look like intended behavior.
thanks!
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:56 AM   #427
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
paper book integration

First of all, thank you for the wonderful plugin!
I have a question: there are many books in my Goodreads library that are only available to me in paper form (either because I borrowed a physical copy from the library, or beacuase I read them before switching to an ebook reader, and so on).
Every time I try and syng from Goodreads I do get an error as there are no books in Calibre for it (as I do not have an electronic version): would it be possible to mark htem as "paper book" or similar in Calibre (e.g. by creating an extra column and having as syn action "pbook" or something similar)?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #428
kiwidude

@miquele - I will have to take a look at some point to see what the actual response from Goodreads contains. On the surface it does indeed sound like a bug.

@paola - you can create empty books in that Goodreads Sync dialog for any that you don't have matches for. Then just add a tag or custom column if you want to identify them that way. There are various ways people do it - some create a special dummy text file that has a .PAPER extension so it shows up as a format. I just use a short tag. Or you could use a custom column, up to you. Once you have those book records created in calibre you can sync goodreads against calibre as you would for any other book type.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #429
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@paola - you can create empty books in that Goodreads Sync dialog for any that you don't have matches for. Then just add a tag or custom column if you want to identify them that way. There are various ways people do it - some create a special dummy text file that has a .PAPER extension so it shows up as a format. I just use a short tag. Or you could use a custom column, up to you. Once you have those book records created in calibre you can sync goodreads against calibre as you would for any other book type.
great, many thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 AM   #430
hakan42
Zealot
hakan42 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Classic rooted; Galaxy S IV with Aldiko, other older devices
I'm thinking of ways to have backups of the data I contribute to goodreads. One way would be to fetch the metadata xml for each book and keep that around somewhere.

Given that your plugin already does all the heavy lifting of authentication and fetching of the file, could you please just store the data in the book directory, like the metadata.opf file?
hakan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #431
kiwidude

@hakan42 - sorry but I just don't see this as a "generally useful" feature to have to maintain. And you can't just go storing random files in the books directory as has been discussed elsewhere in the forums, they have to be added as a "format" of some kind.

Just use the feature Goodreads has built into it of Import/Export - you can download all your books as a CSV file including your review comments.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #432
hakan42
Zealot
hakan42 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Classic rooted; Galaxy S IV with Aldiko, other older devices
Yes, I understand that this is a somewhat specific request. I'll try to come up with something I can maintain myself. Just my laziness because you have already solved the part with oauth

The other thing is, the file you download from goodreads with your list of books does not seem to contain all the information about the books in the list, so I was thinking about caching the response you get...
hakan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #433
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Hi,
Is it possible to change the way how editing sync actions works. For example I have all values set, but I want to change the column to witch the value is set (from 'tags' to '#character' for example, but the value is the same 'Actor'). When I choose another column, the value disappears- you need to write it again. Is it possible to make it so it remains?

Also would love to be able to double click on the space there the rules are to add new rules that way. I mean double click on appropriate space to open the rules window instead of always choosing the line and when going to the "edit sync options" or using right click.

Also after finishing the rule, clicking enter, if you press the arrow down you do not go to the next item in the list but to the other options.

I am just remaking all the sync actions and thought maybe the process could be improved a little.

Thanks in advance.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 AM   #434
drypen
drypen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet54 View Post
Just tried again and this was the error
calibre, version 0.8.48
ERROR: Goodreads Failure: The request contacting Goodreads has failed. Please try again.

URL: http://www.goodreads.com/oauth/request_token/
Response Code: 401
Invalid OAuth Request
Hi,

Sorry if this was already covered. I found a lot of people noting this was happening but didn't find a resolution.

I was also getting this error. I use Google Chrome. I found another user on PTS that had the same problem using Firefox. They set IE as their default browser and was able to connect. I did as well and after 3 days of trying, finally connected!!
drypen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #435
kiwidude

@drypen - thanks for sharing your workaround. While there have been a small number of people post on this thread saying they had an issue, very few have ever posted back about how (or if) they resolved it. In the past the only confirmed solutions that have been posted are where it has been due to issues with Goodreads themselves, such as they didn't have their authentication server back up and running after doing an upgrade. Hence why I always end up suggest contacting them since it is nothing I have any control over.

By setting IE as your default browser, that would mean that when you click on the authenticate button in the plugin it will open the Goodreads page using IE instead. Perhaps Goodreads have broken something on their side that means it only works with IE now or something. Once you have authenticated inside Goodreads, you should be able to set your default browser back to your preference, it is only if you disable authorisation for this plugin from your Goodreads acccount that you would ever need to go through this authentication process again.

So it still sound like something that needs to be sorted out at the Goodreads end to me. Or it may have been coincidental that by the time you tried IE again they got their authentication server back up and running . Only they could say for sure.

Tags
calibre, goodreads