Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
I would pay. That errors make me mad, mainly because I try to show people the credibility of e-reading world. (I gave a Paperwhite to a friend, watching nearly to garantee she does not pick up non-revised e-books and dismantle a new world.)
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #17
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Would you pay extra, and if so how much, for an ebook that had some form of error-free guarantee?.
No, I wouldn't.

But if a publisher/author routinely makes mistakes and they don't seem interested in improving or correcting them, then I'll just avoid them in the future and they'll lose my sale.

I don't think I should have to pay extra for someone to care about their own work, or what they present to the public.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'll add what already has been said. Why should I pay extra for a publisher to do what he should already be doing. Nope.

I don't notice a lot of errors, but I just finished a Liaden Chapbook with a number of jarring errors in it. So it's definitely at real thing.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
No way would I pay more for ebook publishers to do what they should be doing anyway.

I honestly don't see why there are often more errors in ebooks at all. Why aren't the publishers using the same source text for both ebooks and printed books?
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Absolutely not. Frankly, if the book uses the word "their" in place of "there" (not uncommon) I think I should get my money back.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I will revise my opinion slightly (Post 2)

OCR or other errors do not bother me unduly unless really really common in a particular book.

But as with hamburgers, or furniture etc. I will tend to do business with a company providing a quality product at a good price.

If I know that company A makes good furniture and Company B, the chair legs tend to come off, well we know where I will shop.

But if there is only a slight quality difference and Company B's chairs are half of the price of company A's chairs, I will be seduced by the price difference.

So far I have only come across intolerable errors in PD books, which were free and was able to replace them with better OCR'd and formatted ones for the same price

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #22
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
If a book has a few errors I'll ignore it, mistakes happen. If it's riddled with them, I'd expect a full refund and ideally for the book to be withdrawn from the retailer until fixed or a nice warning sign added to say this book is filled with errors.

I wouldn't pay more for what should be included in the existing ebook price.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #23
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I haven't seen so many errors that I've gotten angry or frustrated. And, given the number of errors I just found in a new hardcover, I don't believe the problem is confined to ebooks.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
the other question is... Why can't eBooks be well formatted? Most are not something I would want my name on either as author, publisher, or creator of the eBook.
For the same reason that a lot of early HTML wasn't well formatted: the standard is mostly meant for logical formatting (headers, body, etc.) while publishers are more concerned about physical formatting. This leads them to abuse the standards, which works well for some software but not other software.

As per the original question: no, I won't pay more for a well edited ebook. On the other hand, I would probably pay less for a sloppily edited ebook. Within reason, of course. In other words, don't expect me to pay paperback (never mind hardcover!) prices for a lower quality ebook.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #25
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Nope, I wouldn't pay more. They should be putting out an error-free product in the first place.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #26
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd say they're losing right around $0. Otherwise, you wouldn't be seeing the errors.
This may be (overly) pedantic, but I'd say they think they're losing around $0. Whether or not they're right, I don't know, but it's certainly possible that they're wrong.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 AM   #27
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Resonse to the opening question:
What you are asking is "would you accept a rise in price" wrapped in euphemisms.
The usual way is
%_amount for $_service or $_product.

Look at your idea from a POV of another trades:
Imagine a constructor telling you: "Hey, you pay me a premium and I won't f*ck your home up."
That's noting else than saying: "The price for getting the stuff you want is old price plus premium." This simplified means new price becomes base price because no one (sanity assumed) specifically asks "Give me $_stuff but the crappy one please."
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #28
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
So, would I have to pay more money for them to make well their job? I don't think so.
That !

E-books aren't that cheap. If they where costing 2 or 3 $, it would be a different matter.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 06-11-2013 at 04:22 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #29
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Would you pay more for a car that doesn't leak oil or expect it to work properly in the first place?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #30
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Would you pay more for a car that doesn't leak oil or expect it to work properly in the first place?
Both
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote