Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #31
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
There's no fee with Paypal. But it depends on how the "transfer" is done. If I go to my bank's website and send $100 to Paypal, I will be charged a fee. Same as if I send $100 to you or Walmart, etc.
What do you mean "it depends on how the transfer is done"? Does your bank charge to pay bills electronically? What are the different ways to do the transfers? At any of the 3 banks that I use, I can set someone up as a payee and send them money either as a one time payment or as an automatic payment. I can also set up a transfer from one bank to another. Neither of these actions generate any fees. The only thing that would generate a fee would be if I set up the transfer as a wire.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #32
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What do you mean "it depends on how the transfer is done"? Does your bank charge to pay bills electronically? What are the different ways to do the transfers? At any of the 3 banks that I use, I can set someone up as a payee and send them money either as a one time payment or as an automatic payment. I can also set up a transfer from one bank to another. Neither of these actions generate any fees. The only thing that would generate a fee would be if I set up the transfer as a wire.

Shari
My bank only allows all that transferring if they have an account with them. Just need their email address. My "bank" is a credit union so it may not be as full-service.

Bill pay is done by a third party so that you don't need their account info.

US banks have Visa/MC debit cards instead of all this transferring.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #33
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
My bank only allows all that transferring if they have an account with them. Just need their email address. My "bank" is a credit union so it may not be as full-service.

Bill pay is done by a third party so that you don't need their account info.

US banks have Visa/MC debit cards instead of all this transferring.
Hmm...I am in the US, and I have 3 different Visa debit cards from 2 different banks. I can also do transfers between banks with no charge, and online bill pay with no charge. The difference must be because you are using a credit union, I guess?

Shari
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #34
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Hmm...I am in the US, and I have 3 different Visa debit cards from 2 different banks. I can also do transfers between banks with no charge, and online bill pay with no charge. The difference must be because you are using a credit union, I guess?

Shari
I've used credit unions for years, and found them to have lower fees than regular banks. I can do free transfers and bill pay, etc.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #35
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Shari
If I wanted to send you money, you would have to provide me your bank's routing and checking account number. I would then do a wire transfer which would cost me at least $10.

Alternatively, I could give you my routing and checking account number and you then pull the funds from my account. That would cost me nothing. But I would never give my account info to anyone for security reasons.

Bill Pay is done through a third party so that neither sender and receiver have each others account info. Paypal works the same way. Only they have your bank info instead of each and every retailer or recipient. It's a bit safer.
Advert
Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #36
shalym
Wizard

You do know that if you write me a check I will have your bank account number and routing info, right? Those things are not secret.

Shari
Old 06-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #37
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
You do know that if you write me a check I will have your bank account number and routing info, right? Those things are not secret.

Shari
Yes, but I control the amount and access.

For you to pull money from my account I have to give you authorization. Then you have full access to my account. And a dishonest person could do damage.

Added: When I say "anyone" I mean a private individual.

Last edited by Fbone; 06-13-2013 at 07:49 PM.