Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
Where to buy EPUB ebooks with PayPal outside Kobo?

I'm getting paid via PayPay for a freelance assignment, and I'd like to use some off the credit for ebooks. Does anyone have any recommendations where to go to do this? I'd rather not lock myself into another Kindle-style platform like Kobo, and EPUB is my preferred format - far prefer non-DRM though. And I'd like a large choice of mainstream titles, not just small press/indy/self-published. My genre preferences are dark fiction, fantasy, SF and literature, but not exclusively. Thanks!
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Buying epubs from Kobo doesn't lock you into anything, you can download DRM-free epubs directly, or Adobe DRM epubs via Adobe Digital Editions, just as with most other epub retailers. You don't need a Kobo device or app to read them.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For DRM-free fantasy and SF, try http://www.baenebooks.com. They accept Paypal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
Smashwords.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
StephenDrivick
StephenDrivick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Leanpub
StephenDrivick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
I'd rather not lock myself into another Kindle-style platform like Kobo, and EPUB is my preferred format - far prefer non-DRM though.
Smashwords
But I don't understand the "Kindle-style platform" idea. An epub is an epub whether it comes from the Kobo store, the Sony store or Smashwords, isn't it? I can read ebooks bought from Kobo on my Sony just fine.
If this is about DRM other stores have them, that really depends on the publisher (mostly).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Diesel E-Books. (If they happen not to be geographically restriced despite what the promo e-mails say...)
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
I'm getting paid via PayPay for a freelance assignment, and I'd like to use some off the credit for ebooks. Does anyone have any recommendations where to go to do this? I'd rather not lock myself into another Kindle-style platform like Kobo, and EPUB is my preferred format - far prefer non-DRM though. And I'd like a large choice of mainstream titles, not just small press/indy/self-published. My genre preferences are dark fiction, fantasy, SF and literature, but not exclusively. Thanks!

You're not locked into anything, if you let calibre and Alf be your friend.

Of course, if you don't want any friends, then I would avoid Kobo and every ebook store that sells DRM'd ebooks. If you prefer to purchase DRM-free ebooks, then calibre alone can be a great friend, indeed.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
You do know Kobo carries Smashwords titles and they are couponable -- right? Unless you are high on principles that next 80%-off (even 25%) coupon will suck you back in. There is no escape!
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
BillSmithBooks
Padawan Learner
BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BillSmithBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: www.OutlawGalaxy.com, Foothills of NY's Adirondack mountains
Device: My PC...using Puppy Linux (FBReader, Calibre, Kindle Cloud Reader,
In addition to Smashwords, Kobo (look for Epub DRM Free in the product description on the lower right) and Baen, many smaller sci-fi publishers sell Epubs as non-DRM'd direct downloads. Some of my recommendations:

Weightlessbooks.com

DriveThruFiction.com

RobotTradingCompany.com

Solaris books

DragonMount.com (site of Brandon Sanderson, has all of the Tor DRM-free books)

Blacklibrary.com (Games Workshop's house vendor, Warhammer and Warhammer 40K)

BookViewCafe.com

ClosedCircle.com

Look for Diane Duane's site

Paizo publishing sells its Pathfinder novels and short stories as DRM-free -- reminiscent of D&D-style epic fantasy

Jack Vance's official site

ReAnimus press (many classic sci-fi authors)

WildSide press

I'm sure I've overlooked a bunch of good small presses, too.
BillSmithBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #11
glnnjnsn
Enthusiast
glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glnnjnsn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
If the previous suggestions don't provide enough options for you, another alternative would be to fold the portion of your PayPal funds you want to spend into a more widely accepted medium such as a debit card.
glnnjnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
You have received some great suggestions - but it seems to me you've already locked your choices in to some extent simply because you want a large selection of mainstream titles.

Cheers.
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
I like weightlessbooks.com quite a bit. They also offer subscriptions for various Indie magazines.

No DRM and no geographical restrictions there.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Since you mention wanting access to mainstream books (I assume this means stuff from the Big 6?) then the only options I'm aware of besides Kobo (which you aren't "locked" in to) are Diesel eBooks and OmniLit.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
EBooks.com too. At least, I've gotten some stuff there that I consider mainstream. They are more expensive than Kobo, however.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote