Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #346
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You sure are lucky that you will have a place to hide a year from now when even the profitability metrics have turned against Apple. I can hear you now: "sure they only have 25%of the tablet market, but they make 40% of the profits". Both numbers will only decline further over time.

Standing at the beach and shouting won't stop the tide from coming in. And it seems that the new Apple management is only capable of managing a slow decline from the top, not a new push to higher levels.
That is inevitable, unless you know of some existing gadget that would become orders-of-magnitude more popular with a slick interface and a high end treatment. Frankly, I can't think of one....
Old 12-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #347
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I say we bring Jobs' clone out of hiding, that'll show 'em!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #348
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
What makes you think that the revenue from ads is included at all?
I don't know, the data doesn't say, but thanks to another report we know that iOS is also more profitable for developers who choose to monetize their apps with ads.

The iPhone leads the smartphone OS pack with an average eCPM of $2.85. Though it is closely followed by Android devices (at $2.10). The rest of the mobile phone field is significantly behind.

[...]

The iPad in particular gets the highest effective cost per 1,000 impressions (eCPM) of all devices, which is $3.96.

[...]

Apple in Q3 accounted for 37% of all mobile ad impressions on its network, with Samsung (SSNLF.PK) the second-most popular at 24%, and the rest trailing some ways behind, Adfonic says. It will be interesting to see what happens in Q4. In its AdMetrics report, Adfonic notes that Apple increased its lead over Samsung by three percentage points without much impact from the iPhone 5, which only hit the market at the end of the period.

Source.

The facts above show that there is no economic argument in favour of developing for Android over iOS. The only salient argument I can think of from a business point of view is that there are so few high-quality Android apps that a very talented developer has a greater chance of distinguishing him or herself with a polished app on Android than on iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
holymadness, give it up... you're just feeding the Apple haters and providing a nice target for the Android lovers...
It's actually much better now than it was a couple months ago, if you can believe that. Most of the anti-Apple chorus has given up its chanting and only the truly hardcore remain. Even they don't make any real effort at debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Just analyzing the situation as it is, I have no horse in this race --- actually I will get a Nokia Lumia 920 later this month and I just switched from a WebOS/Android tablet to a Surface RT. So I can hardly be called an Android lover. But the Android wave is rolling and Apple is taking steps back, rather than boldly stepping up to the plate and bringing us new things.
Apple has revolutionized the tech sector twice in the last half decade. Its competitors have been impelled to slavishly copy its every move to keep up. No other company has come close to their ability to "bring us new things," in any industry. It is a bit much to expect them to do it every three years for eternity, which does not preclude them from producing the highest-quality devices and platform in the market, or from doing it again someday.

As for your neutrality:

Last edited by holymadness; 12-03-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #349
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
The facts above show that there is no economic argument in favour of developing for Android over iOS.
This is incorrect and a touch disingenuous. You do know this particular discussion is about android vs. Apple, and not Samsung vs. Apple, don't you? You merely listed Apple ad impressions vs. Samsung. Funny you neglected to list the rest of the android numbers. But if you add up Samsung + HTC + LG + Sony + Motorola + Other (which are likely all android) you get 49% for android vs. 37% for Apple. So it would appear that Android is garnering most of the ad impressions. Even if you want to argue that Apple has a higher eCPM, well then probably at best for Apple you have a wash with android in terms of ad revenues.

As for there being no reasons for developers to flock to android, one could argue that till the cows come home, but bottom line is that the android app market is experiencing significantly higher growth rate than iOS. A year ago iOS had 180,000 more apps than android. Today they have the same amount. So, developers are disagreeing with you too. They are choosing Android at a higher rate than iOS. They know where the money and the future is.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #350
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
While I agree that developers are still earning more out of sales through iOS, your logic doesn't necessarily hold true. It would be perfectly possible for the Play Store to earn a quarter of the revenue with the same number of apps if it had only a quarter of the number of paid apps.

Given that we know that ad-supported apps are much more prevalent on Android, it's possible that the disparity in revenue between the two platforms for a particular paid app is closing.
In addition to there possibly being fewer "paid" apps for Android, it needs to be pointed out that the App Annie report is just listing app revenues for the Google store vs. the Apple store. It doesn't include app revenue for Amazon or B&N. Many Android apps are sold at all 3 stores. So, for example, the developer of Angry Birds is not just getting app revenue from the Google store, but also from Amazon and B&N. The report, therefore, is not a complete picture of overall Android app revenue. And one could assume the rapidly closing gap between Android and iOS app revenue is currently even smaller than what's depicted in the App Annie report.

Regardless, it's clear that the Android platform is growing much faster than iOS in terms of sheer number of apps. It's now the platform of choice for most app developers. Seems they have no trouble finding the economic nuggets of gold in that platform.

And excellent point about the ad revenue. As we can see from this report , quarterly ad impressions for Android are greater than for Apple by about 49% to 37%. I would think that this additional revenue is further closing the gap between the two platforms in terms of app revenue. Thanks to HM for finding that report which supports Android.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 AM   #351
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
... there are so few high-quality Android apps ...
Unfortunately (for you, that is), your statement is not true. There may be less tablet-optimized apps on Android, but stating that there are "so few quality apps" on Android is highly inaccurate, to put it mildly.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #352
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Unfortunately (for you, that is), your statement is not true. There may be less tablet-optimized apps on Android, but stating that there are "so few quality apps" on Android is highly inaccurate, to put it mildly.
How many bar locating and ranking apps for one town do you need?

How many user guides to using a Kindle does Amazon have?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 AM   #353
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just can't stand it. I have to say it!

Sigh.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:26 AM   #354
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
How many bar locating and ranking apps for one town do you need?

How many user guides to using a Kindle does Amazon have?
Lots, don't want to miss a good pub

And, to be honest, if you are comparing apps you really shouldn't have brought mapping to the table if you are defending iPple
Old 12-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #355
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
I'm not that visual.
Understood.

Quote:
Windows 7 - Press Winkey, start typing the name of the application you want.
Windows 8 - Press Winkey, start typing the name of the application you want.
KDE - Press Alt-F2, start typing the name of the application you want.

(I think Alt-F2 is the default; it's fully configurable and I long ago changed mine to Alt-Spacebar, but you could just as easily change it to the WinKey.)

Quote:
...the contrast between Windows 8 recognizing all my hardware instantly and automatically, vs. Linux behaving inconsistently....
Aside from occasional video issues, I haven't seen a hardware problem under Linux in at least three years. But everybody's mileage varies.

Quote:
Close enough, that I'm going to declare Win8 the first desktop OS I've seen since the Apple II that is truly a consumer product....
Any OS that has to be installed by the end-user is already too complicated to be called a "consumer product", IMHO. Most folks just use whatever came preinstalled until their machine dies.

I think what keeps me with Linux more than anything else are the software repositories (it's iPad and the app store -- better because everything's free -- easier than dealing with software under Windows) and security (no such thing as a Linux virus). That alone is worth any hardware issues I run into.

Quote:
The word vastly is vastly overused in tech journalism. No need for us amateur pundits to adopt the bad habits of the pros
I bristle at the implication that I need professionals to teach me my bad habits. I'm well-versed in them on my own, thank you very much :-)

Quote:
If you include the method for installing software as part of the user interface
I wouldn't, so I guess we have different definitions here. The UI is what you see onscreen and what defines how you interact with the operating system I/O-wise. Muon and Synaptic (the new and old software library software, respectively) are part of the OS, but not the UI.

Quote:
going to the latest version of Calibre is identical on Win7 and Win8, and different from either on KDE.
Oddly enough, as of the latest version, the Calibre repository stopped working, so all that's available to me through Muon is an older version. For the more recent versions, I actually had to locate, download and manually install it. Almost made me feel as if I was on Windows again. Such a hassle
Old 12-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #356
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Wow, talk about moving the goalposts!

First of all, it wasn't 10 years ago - as recently as 2009, Linux proponents were making big claims (30%+ marketshare) for Linux on netbooks/nettops.
OK, I will admit there are still some calling for the Year of the Linux Desktop. However, I will note that netbooks are not desktops.

I don't see it as an issue of moving goalposts so much as a recognition that the old field's deteriorating, so it's time to move the game to the new ballpark down the street. But à chacun son goût.

Quote:
This has been a miserable failure, and it is not ameliorated by the fact that your toaster or microwave or DVD player or other electronic device uses Linux to run.
Why not? The fact remains that more and more of our computing tasks are moving to mobile devices -- devices where Linux and iOS dominate and where Windows hasn't even made a splash. Tablet sales are eating into the PC market. Apple has become the biggest computer manufacturer on the planet. Microsoft's revenues, which began declining in '09 are down by double digits again this year. Desktops aren't even an interesting market anymore.

I simply propose that the significant question is no longer, "How many desktops does Linux run?" but "How much of the world's consumer computing does it handle?" Given the market trends of the past five years, I'd rather be Apple than Microsoft. And I'd rather be Linux than Windows.

Last edited by Nathanael; 12-04-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #357
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I don't know, the data doesn't say, but thanks to another report we know that iOS is also more profitable for developers who choose to monetize their apps with ads.

The iPhone leads the smartphone OS pack with an average eCPM of $2.85. Though it is closely followed by Android devices (at $2.10). The rest of the mobile phone field is significantly behind.

[...]

The iPad in particular gets the highest effective cost per 1,000 impressions (eCPM) of all devices, which is $3.96.

[...]

Apple in Q3 accounted for 37% of all mobile ad impressions on its network, with Samsung (SSNLF.PK) the second-most popular at 24%, and the rest trailing some ways behind, Adfonic says. It will be interesting to see what happens in Q4. In its AdMetrics report, Adfonic notes that Apple increased its lead over Samsung by three percentage points without much impact from the iPhone 5, which only hit the market at the end of the period.

Source.

The facts above show that there is no economic argument in favour of developing for Android over iOS. The only salient argument I can think of from a business point of view is that there are so few high-quality Android apps that a very talented developer has a greater chance of distinguishing him or herself with a polished app on Android than on iOS.
So what does the eCPM show? It is (the how much the publisher earns per click)*(number of clicks)/(number of visitors)*1000.

For some reason I can't see the Adfonic's report from Q3, but in I can see the one from Q2, and if you look at the distribution based on platform (since you are trying to make the point of iOS vs Android it doesn't make sense to look at numbers by manufacturers) Android got more ad impressions 46% vs 34%. Even if the 3% increase that iOS got in Q3 came from Android and not the other platforms, it is still 43% vs 37%, so Android is still in ahead.

Last edited by Sil_liS; 12-04-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #358
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Latest Report:

Quote:
Android "Clear Leader" In Smartphone Race Says Report
0Comments | Larry Seltzer, BYTE | December 05, 2012 08:50 AM

Category: Smartphones

An analysis of the mobile phone market by analyst firm International Data Corporation's (IDC) (http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?contai...2#.UL9c0neM4xO) shows Android the "clear leader" in the smartphone mobile operating system race with 68.3% of the market in 2012. The iPhone is a distant second at 18.8% with all other operating systems below 5%. Growth of the overall mobile phone market, including non-smart "feature phones," is up a measly 1.4% in 2012.indicating that all the growth is in smartphones.

IDC also projects market share in 2016, when it expects Android to remain the dominant player, but with share dropping to 63.8%. The forecast shows Android as holding dominance because it is the easiest to sell to the great mass of customers, while iPhones have become a premium, high-priced option that "...will make it cost prohibitive for some users within many emerging markets." If Apple wants to grow this share, IDC says they will need to consider lower-priced models. IDC projects iOS market share nearly unchanged in 2016 at 19.1%.

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/...race/240143823

IDC Press Release Link: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?contai...2#.UL9c0neM4xO
Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #359
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Latest Report:

Android "Clear Leader" In Smartphone Race Says Report
0Comments | Larry Seltzer, BYTE | December 05, 2012 08:50 AM

Category: Smartphones

An analysis of the mobile phone market by analyst firm International Data Corporation's (IDC) (http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?contai...2#.UL9c0neM4xO) shows Android the "clear leader" in the smartphone mobile operating system race with 68.3% of the market in 2012. The iPhone is a distant second at 18.8% with all other operating systems below 5%. Growth of the overall mobile phone market, including non-smart "feature phones," is up a measly 1.4% in 2012.indicating that all the growth is in smartphones.

IDC also projects market share in 2016, when it expects Android to remain the dominant player, but with share dropping to 63.8%. The forecast shows Android as holding dominance because it is the easiest to sell to the great mass of customers, while iPhones have become a premium, high-priced option that "...will make it cost prohibitive for some users within many emerging markets." If Apple wants to grow this share, IDC says they will need to consider lower-priced models. IDC projects iOS market share nearly unchanged in 2016 at 19.1%.

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/...race/240143823

IDC Press Release Link: http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?contai...2#.UL9c0neM4xO
I am sure that the "usual suspects" will show up to tell us how that is untrue and all poppycock
Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #360
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I am sure that the "usual suspects" will show up to tell us how that is untrue and all poppycock
There is no spoon...
Closed Thread