Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2009, 05:40 AM   #16
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
One, there was never a news blip on the top of every page that said the new Sony was out with a link on where to preorder.
About this specific part, I have a feeling that it is a new feature to the forum that wasn't available when the Sony came out.
Or that the feature existed but wasn't used at the time.
Now that Alex has started playing with it, I suspect (and hope too) that it will be used in the future for important news for other devices.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #17
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
Well, I wasn't very eloquent in my original post. To clarify, I was more specifically referring to the news that gets posted on the homepage, not the different forums themselves.

Good point on the fact that the Kindle has been rumored for a long time, and that the 700 wasn't seen by all as an improvement. I also concede that it's probably standing out to me more because, as was mentioned, they are talking about it everywhere and it was an entry on several of the blogs I go through. But...what about the little news icon on the top with the link to preorder the Kindle? I've never seen that with any device before. I still think it's being a little disproportionate.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 06:19 AM   #18
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Well, I wasn't very eloquent in my original post. To clarify, I was more specifically referring to the news that gets posted on the homepage, not the different forums themselves.

Good point on the fact that the Kindle has been rumored for a long time, and that the 700 wasn't seen by all as an improvement. I also concede that it's probably standing out to me more because, as was mentioned, they are talking about it everywhere and it was an entry on several of the blogs I go through. But...what about the little news icon on the top with the link to preorder the Kindle? I've never seen that with any device before. I still think it's being a little disproportionate.
Again: That is a new feature on the forum (so it couldn't be there before.)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 AM   #19
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Interestingly, I never start out on the home page, having bookmarked the Sony 500/505 forum years ago, so I have been completely unaware of any of the news that gets headlines on the main page. I start out in the forum I started in, check out the new book offerings (I still wish there were a link to this same listing from the 700 subforum!) and then go to the 700 subforum since that's my main reading device these days.

So I've been oblivious to all the recent headlines about the kindle2.

But I agree with HarryT's analysis -- if there are people equally upset on either side of a controversy, then the forum has the balance of coverage just right!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #20
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I just wish Amazon would launch in the UK. I'd ditch my 505 in a heartbeat.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Not trying to start anything, just making an observation.
cut

So is it because I am a loyal Sony girl that it seems like there has been more for the Kindle than there was for the 700, or does it seem that way for anyone else too?
I would respectfully point out that there is an abundance of news, coverage, and interest precisely because of postings such as yours.

People [members of MobileRead] are responding because they have something to say. The members here generate the majority of threads.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Is that still so? I genuinely believe that whatever sort of anti-Amazon sentiment there might have been, it has passed. Of course everyone here is free to express his or her own opinion, but I don't see any pattern that would go over expressing one's personal opinion.
So you see the Kindle bashing but feel the anti-Amazon sentiment has lessened? I've been gone from MobileRead for 2 months and felt it immediately.

Go back to this thread (which you also posted in) starting at post #11 and you'll see others see the hatin' too.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #23
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
You think? I would be surprised if Amazon's actions in the e-book business wouldn't also affect us Europeans in some way or the other.
No, I'm with Harry here - The K1's not affected me in the UK & I've heard nothing to suggest that the K2 will... (I did think for a few moments that I might be able to participate in a draw to win one, but disappointingly, the nominally-international forum involved had obviously agreed to restrict entries to exclude it's non-US members...)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #24
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Daffy, with all due respect, I think there is a difference between "hating" and expressing criticism. If you go to Amazon's own forums, you'll discover a lot of recent "hating" (in your terms) towards the new Kindle reader. Or, if you browse the forums of other e-book readers here at Mobileread, you will discover "hating", too, that is, there are always some folks who're unhappy with the status quo of a particular e-book reader.

Sure I also disagree with a lot of what is said or criticized at; but everyone has the right to have an opinion. At this point, speaking of today, I don't see any particular bias for or against the Kindle here at Mobileread.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
No, I'm with Harry here - The K1's not affected me in the UK & I've heard nothing to suggest that the K2 will...
You think Amazon's influence on e-book prices and publishers joining the e-book frenzy will have no effect on the e-book movement in Europe?

Quote:
...but disappointingly, the nominally-international forum involved had obviously agreed to restrict entries to exclude it's non-US members...
The prize of this particular contest is the Kindle, and as much as we regret it, Amazon does not sell the Kindle to customers outside the US.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #26
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Daffy, with all due respect, I think there is a difference between "hating" and expressing criticism. If you go to Amazon's own forums, you'll discover a lot of recent "hating" (in your terms) towards the new Kindle reader. Or, if you browse the forums of other e-book readers here at Mobileread, you will discover "hating", too, that is, there are always some folks who're unhappy with the status quo of a particular e-book reader.

Sure I also disagree with a lot of what is said or criticized at; but everyone has the right to have an opinion. At this point, speaking of today, I don't see any particular bias for or against the Kindle here at Mobileread.
When I say "hatin'" I'm not referring to criticism, it refers to the bashing (nasty digs) that some folks feel the need to make... constantly.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #27
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
When I say "hatin'" I'm not referring to criticism, it refers to the bashing (nasty digs) that some folks feel the need to make... constantly.
daffy, if you see someone constantly bashing here, I would appreciate if you send me a private message so I can have a better understanding why things are the way they are.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
I, for one, would love to buy a Kindle if I only could. All those news about the Kindle make me feel jealous. I just hope the Kindle will be available here soon, too (and not K1)
Given that the K1 is done (like the PRS-500 is done) then I don't think you have to worry about the K1 being released outside the USA. If the Kindle is released outside the USA, I'd expect it to be at least the K2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:56 AM   #29
Gafle
Gafle began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 & Nokia N800
The Kindle is not an interesting device in itself and as e-readers go it is quite limited and poorly designed while still being expensive. Next to a Sony it looks like a cheap toy.

However it is very interesting as a concept - always being connected to a bookstore and news sources - and as such probably represents the future of e-readers. Therefore it deserves the attention it gets. I am pretty sure that all e-readers will follow in the footsteps of the Kindle eventually, so we should all pay attention to it even if we arent in the Kindle camp...
Gafle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #30
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
MR isn't pro- or anti- anything. The threads are generated by the users, as are the opinions expressed in the threads.

Whever there is news to report about any machine, Alex and Bob and the other newshounds post it. Last week, it was all about Germany getting Sony. This week, it is Amazon's K2 with all of Amazon's marketing department fanfare. Next week, who knows what will be the big news?

If you feel something has been falling through the cracks, then make a thread and start a reasonable discussion. It's all driven by the users, not the MR mods, with no real agenda to promote any machine over another. We are all here to promote e-books and e-devices and e-reading in general.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote