Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
richard37
richard37 began at the beginning.

Device: none
New reader for Mac (and Windows, Linux)

I wasn't happy with any of the existing readers available for the Mac, so last week I wrote my own. It also runs on Windows and Linux. It currently reads TXT, HTML and LIT.

You can download it here if you would like to test it: http://www.fantastic.me.uk/ebook.html
richard37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What features does it have that other readers dont have? And I suggest using lit2oeb from calibre instead of clit to explode LIT files.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
richard37
richard37 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What features does it have that other readers dont have?
1. Working on Mac OS X
2. Producing pages that look nice

Sounds simple, and it is, but I couldn't find any other reader that could do both of those two. It also gives the user more control over the layout than most readers.

Quote:
And I suggest using lit2oeb from calibre instead of clit to explode LIT files.
I thought of that, but Calibre is 50 megabytes, compared to about 100k for clit.
richard37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard37 View Post
1. Working on Mac OS X
2. Producing pages that look nice

Sounds simple, and it is, but I couldn't find any other reader that could do both of those two. It also gives the user more control over the layout than most readers.

I thought of that, but Calibre is 50 megabytes, compared to about 100k for clit.
Define nice
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard37 View Post
You can just use that one .py file. You don't need all of calibre.

You did know that calibre has a built in reader also?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Does calibre work on a mac?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #7
SeaWolf
Connoisseur
SeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileReadSeaWolf has read every ebook posted at MobileRead

Device: Kindle Paperwhite WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yes, there's a version of Calibre for Windows, Mac and Linux.
SeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:14 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post

http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download_osx

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Don't give up on this!

I'm dying for a good ePub/XHTML reader that doesn't require half the universe in dependencies!

Off to check it out right now!

m a r

EDIT: Damn, Java...
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote