Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3gb (3g)
how to VNC viewer

Hi guys

i hope its the right place to post that:

background:
I suffer from a eye strain issue and iam not able read and work on PC screens. So I cant do my prefered job as a math phd candidate, cause i would need to write LaTex. If anybody has a idea what i could do, i try everything to finally practice my profession.

solution? hawhills VNC viewer...

Due to my eye problem, i cant do an extensive research on how to manage the vnc viewer to work (kind of recursive problem )... so i have a few questions.

I just need to clone the screen. No real secondary monitor is needed:
Whats the easier way to go:

1) Win or Ubuntu? (i would prefer ubuntu, but I am an end user )
2) K3 or K4(black)?

Fortunately, theres a noob howto - thanks to wildcolor -
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=13
but its for kindle4 silver.. Is that a problem?

Did I get the big picture of the process?? -
1) jailbreak. Now...launchpad? hawhill wrote it, but in the noob-howto is nothing about it.
2) install USbNetwork.
modify on kindle a file to connect to the desktop-pc. he wrotes
"(this kindle ip is very important. the 244 is for us K4. Yes, our K4 ends with 244.)" .. but is the ip the same for me? what does the USBnetwork-programm for me? I Actually dont access through USb to my kindle...
"ted. Go to menu-> search -> keyboard and type in ;debugOn then the 'virtual enter' key NOT THE DONE key. then also type in ~usbNetwork with enter and ;debugOff with enter" ???

3) connect through putty to the kindle and started the copied vncplayer....
he navigates to "mnt/us/kindlevncviewer" ... Is it because of copying the whole file to that directory? Or there is an install process of the vncviewer.

I hope that few questions let me head to the right direction to manage it to run.
thanks for any help, marco

Last edited by fonzie4msg; 03-20-2013 at 10:04 AM.
fonzie4msg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
bits and bats of extra info please

I see you don't have a device yet... right? EDIT:.... oh... or perhaps you already have a 4

DEVICE: The k4 would have a inverted color set. so is possibly/probably not the right choice.. also you would need to run some extra code to manage the screen refresh which would extra pain/effort

I would choose: k3 (or dx for extra luxury, it would have slow screen refresh but meh more screen real-estate, it [the dx] also may need the extra refresh code I would have to check it has been a while...)

Personally I would: Just install the KUAL prerequisites bundle and KUAL itself.

IIRC there is an extension already (which needs a bit of config but meh it's doable even for an end user) EDIT: ah yeah HERE

Ubuntu is fine - (I use Ubuntu Mint so it would be much like my setup)

EXAMPLE: I use my k3 to monitor when I should get out of the bath by VNC'ing into my machine and watching the build's roll by.

CAVEAT: moving around on the screen is currently a bit of a PITA... no complete solution exists yet that I know of...
k3: You would be restricted to an 800x600 resolution. or 600x800
It may not work EXACTLY as you imagine it might. but input is supported and configurable

EXTRA TRICKINESS: The k4 does have an (extremely complicated) option of supporting OTG USB devices.. ( a mouse or an external keyboard) but that is still something that is on my TODO pile so I can't help you further there other than indicate it exists and point you to resources. Whether this would be extremely helpful I have no Idea... need more info and honestly I am just mentioning it here for completeness to the answer. EDIT: I note from your other posts around and about that this IS something that you are interested in... so might be worth the effort. But I cant help further with the final implementation. however there are all the modules you might need in the (as yet unreleased)kual-system project. But as I say... Can't guide you through that.

K3 solution ALTERNATIVES: There is a solution to setup the device as an EXTRA screen (IIRC, yeah.. I am sure... I did it once EDIT: okay here just read the whole thread) and that may be an option but extra effort and research/reading/resources will be required.

QUESTION: you say you are looking to "develop" on the device... In LaTex. What GUI do you use for that... or is it a text editor only job. I have no idea.

FINAL THOUGHTS: I would even be happy to quickly mock up a check to see how realistic/good the solution might be (with screenshots) given more info... but I need more info.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by twobob; 03-20-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: links...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur
fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.fonzie4msg can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

the k3 is on its way to me

I need some time to get into KUAL and understand what its for..lot of files .. but as a quick reply, here is my use case:

I need:

1) a shell
2) an editor ... no GUI required
3) the output of my desktop PC in a pdf-reader (i use evince)
so 800x600 seems to be enough
thx!!!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

right then... gimme a minute..

Things typed:

ON PC:
vncpassword (enter 8 digit password)

x11vnc -rfbauth ~/.vnc/passwd -bg -accept "popup" -gone "popup" -rfbport 5900 -gui tray=minimal,iconfont=14x17 -forever -noxdamage -shared &

(I also pictured a few variants of the x11vnc interface)

ON PC: ssh root@kindleIP
(now we are in kindle terminal effectively)

then killall -stop cvm (to stop keystrokes from being swallowed)

then
[root@kindle root]# /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer/kvncviewer.sh -password password PCipaddress

now we are rolling...

the rest is pictured...

I showed also the likely kindle TERMINAL output (the eink update messages in the shell)

And the PC side... then the kindle side...

You could convert this to scripts... or whatever...

CONCLUSION:

mainly worked. keystrokes and special symbol might be a PITA in the beginning until you get a config.LUA you like... I never bothered playing with that but feel with a little determination this could be a complete solution.

EDIT: I NOTED THAT SYM+ some KEY does not produce a symbol... just fix that up...

ALT + something did work but left you in an odd location.

Tabbing wasn't immediately obvious how it might work and that would need love.

Delete key didn't seem properly mapped OOTB

Moving the cursor was entirely in-obvious.

These are all setup issues though. perhaps with time they could all be configured in the config.lua. Didn't play around any further...

Alternately you could go down the OTG usb route WITH THE KINDLE 4 and invert the colors PC side to fix the inverted framebuffer colors... either way. in a pinch this would work.

Hope that helps.

CNTRL +C
then
killall -cont cvm

and press HOME on the kindle or...
echo "send 139" > /proc/keypad
echo "send 139" > /proc/keypad

(same thing)

to get the kindle back to normal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_185.png
Views:	456
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	103209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_187.png
Views:	440
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	103210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_189.png
Views:	440
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	103211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_190.png
Views:	452
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	103212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_196.png
Views:	457
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	103213   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_197.png
Views:	413
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	103214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_192.png
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	103215   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_193.png
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	103216   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_194.png
Views:	431
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	103217   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_195.png
Views:	415
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	103218  

Last edited by twobob; 03-20-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: WITH THE KINDLE 4
Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

Thank you!

This whole stuff is done after install kual-prerequisites and kual, isn't it?

So I don't need to connect via USB to configure the kindle, with kual its fone with help of ssh.

Sounds doable . I'll give feedback to you, when the k3 arrives. Have a nice day.
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
twobob

no worries.

The KUAL will allow you to run custom scripts at the touch of a button.

You may need to tweak the existing script(s) to perfectly suit your needs.

The reason I suggested you run through the prerequisites is it will walk you through the jail-breaking links etc... so you are "good to go" on devving up a custom solution.

Enjoy.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Sounds as if twobob got you all set up then. The part that's a bit harder will be to get the desktop to play along nicely. For the scenario outlined, I suggest to set it to 800x600 output via the normal video output and then use x11vnc (on Linux) or a vncserver of your choice on windows.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

Hi

I recently studied the process and a few questions arose:

1) kindlet=KUAL?

2) The process untill installing KUAL seems straigtforward ..copying the right file and install by "updating by ..." . But after that I have to remove the specific .bin-file and copy the next one.. step by step??

3) After KUAL is installed, running it starts a process which reads through a folder to check for all extensions and to place them as buttons? The vnc-extension adds the vncviewer to this read list. At this point I dont know where to put the two files of the extension. Ah
here... /mnt/us/extensions/vncviewer .. where the vncviewer was copied into. allright?

4) you wrote "keystrokes and special symbol might be a PITA in the beginning until you get a config.LUA you like"
I have no idea about that. What does the config.lua.. I just want to clone a picture and not to transfer any "symbols".. That confuses me....

Sorry if this questions are quite stupid, and thanks for any help
Marco

edit: In your main thread about KUAL there is a misleading link: "KindleVNCViewer Issues noted HERE"

Last edited by fonzie4msg; 03-29-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
twobob

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) read the KUAL readme. It took a really long time to type. I'm not typing it all again.
The bit you want is in SUPPORT <--- LIKE READ THIS AT LEAST ONCE

4) You can actually SEND keys to the computer... Yup... from a kindle keyboard.
Only the Kindle 3 will do this. With some love you could actually program from the bath hehehe.

The main issue here will be getting your networking setup right.

Read the Kindle VNC viewer thread for that information.

Good luck.

Have to talk to Hawhill about all that... I know next to zero about LUA other than it is an immensely configurable language.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

hey

thanks for your quick answer. I really read all the stuff and iam very glad you wrote it. (Iam going to sign up at paypal ) but the install process of vncviewer and the kual extension confused me.

I just got it: 1) the viewer itself to /mnt/us/kindlevncviewer
2) the extension to /mnt/us/extensions/kindlvncviewer/

sorry.
I wish you some busy easter bunnies
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
twobob

no problem at all.

If the docs are unclear at all I am happy to update them

Thanks for your help and support. Perhaps some day soon our dream of having all the devices we need to develop effectively will come true.

: )
Old 04-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

omg ....

I started the vncviewer via ssh and it worked. I played around and was happy.
the vnc connection broke down regulary and I had to renew it per dialog window

but...

i wanted to end the vncviewer and hit Shift T A and went into the myterminal thing. Now iam on homescrren and it is frozen.. seems bricked... fuck
Old 04-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
fonzie4msg
Connoisseur

Obviously I have to debrick now.. argh ... (having the full mobileread-experience )

I hope Iam not the first guy to have to do this

But with this regular breakdown with the vnc concetion.. thats strange too
Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #14
twobob

Highly unlikely.

hold to power for 30 seconds to cause a reboot.

We REAAAAALY need to sort your mysterious crap networking out.

Oh yeah. Do me a favour and update your devices list. I keep forgetting what type you have.

See what the reboot brings.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
twobob

debrick? but... why? All you did was fire up the SSH and run the viewer. It's a "nothing" task and the code of hawhills is really very elegant. No crappy calls to "other things" just clean native framebuffer stuff.

you tried the 30's reboot? The things not out of power is it?