Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3/Fire; BB Z10; enTourage eDGe/Pocket eDGe; iPad4/iPod touch 5
Question "Enhanced Content" Went Missing After Update To iOS 5.1 & New Kindle App(?)

I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue. I have the Kindle version of the Jackie Kennedy conversations with Arthur Schlesinger (Jacqueline Kennedy [Kindle Edition With Audio/Video]), with "enhanced" audio and video content. Prior to yesterday, it worked fine on my iPod Touch and iPad 1. Last night (after downloading the new Kindle app), the links to the video content on the iPad (running iOS 5.01) were replaced by the following statement: "There is video content at this location that is not currently supported for your device..." The audio links are highlighted, but not active, and don't have the usual triangular "Play" button. I called Kindle support, and was eventually advised to update the iPad to iOS 5.1, as they'd had several reports from customers about similar problems. Because of the time it takes for my iPad sync and updates, I decided to wait until the morning to try it. However, I did update the Kindle app on the iPod touch (already running 5.1) and, lo and behold, the content disappeared from that version also, leading me to believe that it's not solely a software version issue.

So, after that lengthy run-up, I'm wondering if anyone here has had the same experience, either with this title or others with "enhanced" material. I'll touch base with Amazon again, probably on Monday, but I've had bad luck at times with getting inconsistent information, depending on what support rep I get, so I thought I'd try the always helpful community here in parallel. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

[EDIT - I've just discovered the same problem on two other "enhanced" titles.]

Last edited by Batman Jr.; 03-17-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Batman Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I'm seeing the same thing (same versions of everything, same book even). I have removed it and am attempting to re-download but have some really crappy wifi where I'm at right now so will probably have to try again tomorrow. I must say I don't find Amazon's implementation of enhanced ebooks very useable. No way to pause/resume audio, which in this case takes the better part of an hour for each segment. And now this...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious
Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.Batman Jr. knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm seeing the same thing (same versions of everything, same book even). I have removed it and am attempting to re-download but have some really crappy wifi where I'm at right now so will probably have to try again tomorrow. I must say I don't find Amazon's implementation of enhanced ebooks very useable. No way to pause/resume audio, which in this case takes the better part of an hour for each segment. And now this...
Thanks for the confirmation, tomsem. I did call Amazon Monday and, after three transfers, was told that it is a "known issue," and they're working on a solution. The battery on both my iPod and iPad are recharging right now, so I'll give the redownload idea a shot tomorrow and post back with results.

I have to agree with you on the audio issue, particularly on the iPod. I've been enjoying reading the transcripts of the Jackie Kennedy book while listening to the audio, but any missed dialogue usually causes the need to start over from square one, since there's no 30-second rewind. Oh well, I guess if this is the worst thing that happens this week it'll be a good week...
Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Batman Jr.
Unstoppably Curious

Okay, Amazon just put out an update that seems to have restored the audio/videol functionality.