Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 12-04-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
kindlefireHD
kindlefireHD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Wrong characters on a MOBI file

Hello,
I just got Kindle Fire HD and I'm trying to transfer a MOBI book that I downloaded. The problem is that I have some weird characters like ’ and –. I can see them both on Calibre and on Kindle, so I guess something is messed up with the MOBI file. Is there a way to fix it? Thanks!
kindlefireHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Moving to Kindle forum where it belongs.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sounds like the character encoding for the source material was declared wrong before it was fed to a mobi converter.

You'd have to unpack the mobi and experiment with some different encodings until those characters displayed properly, then change any encoding statements in the documents to match and reconvert. EditPad Lite allows you to display text as if it were encoded differently. I've found it invaluable for finding/changing encodings in this manner.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 AM   #4
kindlefireHD
kindlefireHD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Sounds like the character encoding for the source material was declared wrong before it was fed to a mobi converter.

You'd have to unpack the mobi and experiment with some different encodings until those characters displayed properly, then change any encoding statements in the documents to match and reconvert. EditPad Lite allows you to display text as if it were encoded differently. I've found it invaluable for finding/changing encodings in this manner.
Thank you for your help. I downloaded the KindleUnpack plugin directly from Calibre, and it created a folder containing:
mobi7 folder (containing an html, ncx and opf files, and Images folder)
mobi8 folder (containing epub and mimetype files and META-INF and OEBPS folders)
kindlegensrc.zip

How can I change the encoding and repack it to mobi? For example I can see that the html file also contains these weird characters.

Thank you for your help!
kindlefireHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlefireHD View Post
How can I change the encoding and repack it to mobi? For example I can see that the html file also contains these weird characters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer
EditPad Lite allows you to display text as if it were encoded differently. I've found it invaluable for finding/changing encodings in this manner.
As for rebuilding the mobi ... kindlegen or calibre.

Calibre will also let you choose (override) the character encoding of the source when converting to mobi. Once you find what the encoding is supposed to be (using the unpacked source, and something similar to EditPad Lite), you could just use calibre to do a mobi to mobi (or azw3) conversion of the original, and specify the correct encoding (under the "Look & Feel" section of the conversion dialog) to use.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-06-2013 at 09:00 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote