Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #91
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figan View Post
4. [Optional, but needed for a good filename on the KT it seems] Import .mobi into Calibre and adjust metadata.
you can use the Java Mobi Metadata Editor to edit metadata quickly.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #92
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Device: Kindle 3 (Keyboard)
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post
Then I should move all files into one folder to use KCC. It will be cool, if KCC can read files in subfolders (or can download from these sites like Mangle).
subfolders handling is planned for a future version, I don't want to add automatic download though, because I'd like to keep it as simple as possible (downloading will mean adding a bunch of sources, keeping them updated and a number of other issues that don't belong to a comic converter). If there's someone that want to get Mangle's download code and create a standalone manga downloader it would be nice, by the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post
Also I tried KF8 manga on Kindle Keyboard with latest firmware. KF8 works good, but big mobi-manga-files are invisible on Kindle (~400 Mb). Such files work fine on Kindle Touch. Can you say why?
mmm... on my K3 it shows correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figan
Are steps one and three already combined in some way that I'm missing by any chance?
not for now, unless you're using the MacOS droplet that wraps the entire process into an AppleScript.
I'm building a cross-platform GUI that will wrap all the steps in a - I hope - easier and more transparent interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figan
Also, in the KT using Cover View, all of the resulting mobi files have the 'Personal' banner. Is there a step to ensure that the KT doesn't present them like this? I've scanned the KindleGen docs and searched these forums to no avail. Any tinkering with Calibre destroys PanelView and adds margins.
the "Personal" banner is applied to documents that do not have an ASIN recognized by Amazon. Calibre can add a fictitious one, but I've yet to discover how it does. Planned for future version.
ciromattia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #93
ciromattia
KCC Co-author
ciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role modelciromattia is a good role model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figan View Post
4. [Optional, but needed for a good filename on the KT it seems] Import .mobi into Calibre and adjust metadata.
if you tell me which are the filename issues I can work on adding them... you already can specify title with -t option.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #94
Figan
Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciromattia View Post

not for now, unless you're using the MacOS droplet that wraps the entire process into an AppleScript.
I'm building a cross-platform GUI that will wrap all the steps in a - I hope - easier and more transparent interface.
That would be fantastic. It's good to know I'm doing things the right way - I'm on Windows.

Quote:
the "Personal" banner is applied to documents that do not have an ASIN recognized by Amazon. Calibre can add a fictitious one, but I've yet to discover how it does. Planned for future version.
Also, that would be a great addition.

As for the filename issues, they are probably going to be solved with this -t switch that I didn't spot first time around. I will give this a go first and report back.

Thanks for all this work. I was marvelling today at how good comics can look on the KT screen - it's so crisp and large with the optimisation and cropping (I assume that's playing a part) that I'm barely using panel view even though it's there!

Now we just need a program that calculates the number of letters in "swashbuckler". This is becoming a daily source of mathematical shame for me...
Figan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #95
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Update to 1.50!
Now with more subfolder handling!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #96
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
This doesn't work with cbz's right? you have to convert to mobi? is there any plan to have this work with cbz's?
centhena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #97
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Quote:
Originally Posted by centhena View Post
This doesn't work with cbz's right? you have to convert to mobi? is there any plan to have this work with cbz's?
what do you mean?
If the question is "Will Paperwhite/Touch ever support CBZ?" I assume the correct answer is "No, it's not going to.", although I am not Amazon
Anyway, KCC is able to convert CBZ, CBR, RAR, ZIP, PDF and image folders into Kindle Paperwhite/Touch/NT/Keyboard-readable MOBIs with Panel View - on the K3 they work even better than CBZ (you do not have to press F to go fullscreen, and you will not have some drawing glitches switching device sleep/unsleep).
Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #98
Figan
Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Figan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
if you tell me which are the filename issues I can work on adding them... you already can specify title with -t option.
The -t option did work, thank you.

Quote:
I used the Java Mobi Metadata Editor, as advised by Thomass, to add in an ASIN, but this didn't cure the problem. It's a minor niggle in the grand scheme of things though, eh?

Thanks very much for 1.50, I'll take a gander tonight.

For people who, like I, didn't bookmark the location of this wonder, it can be found here:
https://github.com/ciromattia/kcc/
Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 AM   #99
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Here you are, first version with a bare metal GUI!
You can download the builded app from https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16806101/Ki...er_osx_2.1.zip

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated
Old 01-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #100
Figan

Great news! Being pretty ignorant about Python (I hope to change that soon), it looks like the zip is compiled for OSX only, not windows. Is that right?

I'm still working away happily on the cmd line version anyway.

Thanks again.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 AM   #101
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

Yep, I have no win machine by hand at the moment, I'm going to build and upload a win version this evening when I'm back home (in about 5 hours )
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #102
Figan

Great! I've got a big batch to do before a long journey in a few days so I've got plenty of guinea pigs to chuck at it!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #103
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

2.3 is out, ePub lives!

Sorry for the delay but I found building redistributable python apps in Windows is a pain in the *** ;(
In the meantime, though, I went further, so now KCC build ePub2.0-valid files, then you can choose to give them to kindlegen or to stay with them alone (e.g. if you own a Kobo :P )

The GUI should make all the dirty work on your behalf, providing you have kindlegen.exe in your PATH (e.g. you can copy it to c:\Windows\).

Feedback appreciated!

Last edited by ciromattia; 01-29-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #104
ciromattia
KCC Co-author

New release, fixes adding folders from GUI and uses temporary directory as workbench (thus reducing a lot to mess up with your files )

As always:
OS X: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16806101/Ki...er_osx_2.4.zip
Win64: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16806101/Ki...-amd64_2.4.zip
Old 02-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #105
imakai
imakai began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot! I am expectiong more updated one. It cannot work in case of zip with Korean file name.
Quote:
New release, fixes adding folders from GUI and uses temporary directory as workbench (thus reducing a lot to mess up with your files )

As always:
OS X: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16806101/Ki...er_osx_2.4.zip
Win64: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/16806101/Ki...-amd64_2.4.zip
imakai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comics, k5 tools, kindle tools, manga, paperwhite