Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Password protecting Kobo?

Hi

How do I password protect my Kobo? This seems like a massive neglect by Kobo in my view considering that these things are not books rather they are computers in reality which implicates with various privacy and security issues.
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I don't think there a way to do it, at least I've never heard of one.

That's why I use a Kobo account with a fake name and no credit card or personal information listed, and I don't connect to any website that require a password to be safe. It's bad enough if you lose the reader; worse if they can just log into Kobo without entering any info and be able to order a hundred books and download them.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
exachillus
Banned
exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.exachillus once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I don't think there a way to do it, at least I've never heard of one.

That's why I use a Kobo account with a fake name and no credit card or personal information listed, and I don't connect to any website that require a password to be safe. It's bad enough if you lose the reader; worse if they can just log into Kobo without entering any info and be able to order a hundred books and download them.
Ripplinger
My main worry is that anyone who gets a hold of my Kobo can just see what I have been reading and the content of my library on my Kobo. Mine is a more of a physical worry.

I do not have anything to hide, but this is more of a general worry. For example when cops stop you nowadays, the first thing they want to do is to get a hold of your cell phone. The same can be said for your ereader. Noone should be able to illegaly see what I/others are reading. The ereader is like yor local library. The records about you are not public but if someone can take your Kobo away , they pretty much access your "records". This can be a problematic issue for politically active citizens.

I can see the logic of comparing to reading a book, since anyone can see what you are reading when you actually hold a book. However the issue is not the same with an ereader because the volume of the information is much much different when it is compared to book reading. Again one of these ereaders can hold as many books as your local library or more depending on your additonal memory.

Beside locking down the ereader I am also interested in to see if actually it is possible to encrypt the sd card (internal and external). Ideally this should be possible these are linux devices. I would be more than happy to donate for such cause to be honest.

Last edited by exachillus; 01-10-2014 at 10:14 PM.
exachillus is offline   Reply With Quote