Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
puddleduck
puddleduck began at the beginning.

Device: acer iconia w700
Acer Iconia W700_windows 8 - help

I love the way I can read my books with Calibre, but I am getting very frustrated with my library (I have about 4000 books currently). I use my Iconia W700 touch screen on windows 8 and find I cannot scroll through the books, the titles all turn blue, (as if I am selecting them) but I find the arrows at the side too small for my fingers to go through my books. Have I missed something in my set up and just being thick, or is it not compatible with my touch screen. I hope this hasn't been asked before and I hope someone can understand my problem and tell me the answer. Thank you
puddleduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleduck View Post
I love the way I can read my books with Calibre, but I am getting very frustrated with my library (I have about 4000 books currently). I use my Iconia W700 touch screen on windows 8 and find I cannot scroll through the books, the titles all turn blue, (as if I am selecting them) but I find the arrows at the side too small for my fingers to go through my books. Have I missed something in my set up and just being thick, or is it not compatible with my touch screen. I hope this hasn't been asked before and I hope someone can understand my problem and tell me the answer. Thank you
Preferences:Look and Feel: Select a bigger font size for 'Interface font'

This will result in less per screenfull

Also consider the Grid View for cover only browsing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
puddleduck

Thank you, I have tried the larger font. But even in grid mode I am not able to flick the books up the pages to see the different books, like when I am surfing, they just stay where they are, if that makes sense. And charging the font size made it easier to read but didn't enlarge the navigation arrows. Is calibre touch compatible?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I am assuming that the problem is that the scroll bar on the right of the screen (together with its up and down arrows) is too narrow and your finger overlaps the list of books. Ignore me if I have misunderstood .

If so, it is a common problem with traditional desktop type applications on small touchscreens. I don't know of a way to widen it in Calibre (but I am no expert with Calibre) and can only suggest moving all the inhabited columns in the display of books to the left by narrowing them up so that you end up with white space between the right-most column and the scroll bar.

I cannot test this myself, but you may also find that if you have the User Interface Style in Preferences>Look and Feel set to Calibre Style then you may get a better result if you change it to System default. Also, if your screen responds to a pointer then perhaps that could be used (but inconvenient).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #5
puddleduck

Yes, it would appear I will have to use a pointer! Seems a shame. So is the interface not designed to move up and down the screen by touch like the internet does presumably it doesn't do it on the androids either. Maybe I am missing a plug in that will make the books scroll with finger touch in the library. I realise these things are not easy to developed, but I would have thought there was a market for it and not just me.
Advert
Old 10-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleduck View Post
Yes, it would appear I will have to use a pointer! Seems a shame. So is the interface not designed to move up and down the screen by touch like the internet does presumably it doesn't do it on the androids either.
Calibre does not run on Android devices.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
try using a two finger swipe as per this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=touch

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
try using a two finger swipe as per this thread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=touch
Good find.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
In case needed to know; the two fingers have to be spread apart with a gap between them (so not side by side touching each other). If it worked it should also work for horizontal scrolling too.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote