Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
andsoitgoes
andsoitgoes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
What will happen/I gain if I forced an ePub book to a KePub book?

I'm in the process of trying it, I just don't have access to do so right now, so I thought I'd post here about it.

I remember seeing a reply deep in another thread that I can no longer find here that you may be able to modify the extension of an ePub book to get some/all of the features you could find in an actual Kobo store ebook.

I just have books I've bought elsewhere that I'd like to enjoy some of the reading life features, but I can't justify spending say 30% more or rebuying a book to get them to work.

Thanks in advance,

Nick
andsoitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
I'm in the process of trying it, I just don't have access to do so right now, so I thought I'd post here about it.

I remember seeing a reply deep in another thread that I can no longer find here that you may be able to modify the extension of an ePub book to get some/all of the features you could find in an actual Kobo store ebook.

I just have books I've bought elsewhere that I'd like to enjoy some of the reading life features, but I can't justify spending say 30% more or rebuying a book to get them to work.
I don't know what would happen if you did this, but what reading life features are you missing with an epub? I can't think of any, but maybe it's just that I don't use enough of them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Nick,
Even if you do "kepubify" an epub from elsewhere, it is not going to help you at all.
For things such as Pulse, Bookmark Sync, Highlight and Note Sync, the book *has* to come from Kobo. Side loaded content simply will not work with these features, well, at least not on iOS.
One of the reasons being is that we use a books unique id, and that is generated when the book is added to our system.
Additionally, the epub from somewhere else might not be exactly the same file as Kobo provides. perhaps there is an additional page in there, and this difference in actual content of the file could cause the features to become non-functional.

There would be substantial development required, by at the very least, the iOS team, and possible other teams at Kobo to implement these features for side loaded content.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #4
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
This is not a good idea at all. On some books it will work reasonably well, (though as pointed out, special features that depend on kobo markup and/or sync with kobo server will not be able to work at all.). On some books I've tested that used Multi-level Table of contents, the Kobo would skip entire chapters when turning pages.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
andsoitgoes
andsoitgoes began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
That's very disappointing. I understand the need for the markup to identify the book, and that it could be problematic...

However, and I'll be honest, reading life is one of the main things going for the Kobo ereader app. I can get the same or better from iBooks, Kindle, Nook and often am able to get my books cheaper through them. Reading life is the one thing that could have someone convert over to you completely, the states, graphs and achievements are a huge draw, and being able to join in the conversation based on your book, or make a note, etc that is shareable is something no one else can offer.

I understand the need to be limited to your own purchases from a technical standpoint as well as a marketing standpoint, but even if there were some basic features you could enable for the average reader, it would be huge.

For example, you guys are missing out on creating a huge culture with the Harry Potter books, as they are only available direct. Can you imagine What it could mean for you if that could be integrated in? Those books Are more popular than the bible :P
andsoitgoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert