Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Nada y Nadie
Enthusiast
Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I have not given this book a star rating as there isn't an option for a negative

Next time you get a one star review, take heart. This one is so bad you almost gotta love it.

Here is where she vents to her heart's content. Remember, this extreme reaction is from reading 22 pages.
http://www.barpurple.net/2011/04/loo...ther-anon.html

And this quote, "I have not given this book a star rating as there isn't an option for a negative," is to be found here:
http://www.librarything.com/work/10723719/reviews

By the way, read the next review down, a 5-star. No accounting for tastes.
Nada y Nadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Well, when one of the first things I see in someone's review is "I'll give any book ago" I do have to wonder about their qualifications. They clearly think that "ago" means the same thing as "a go" ... and that's just the first of many abuses of the English language. Before you point out the mote in your neighbor's eye....

Of course, I haven't read the book. It's not my thing. Maybe you do claim that dialysis is unnecessary and painful, or think that a theory is the same thing as a hypothesis. It's fairly hard for me to imagine someone I "know" (that is, a fellow MR member) thinking (or writing) that way, though. I'm more inclined to believe that someone who doesn't know what "ago" means couldn't understand anything more complicated that "See Spot run."
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
The first review in your second url is apparently from the same person as writes the blog in the first url.

As for the second review, the person's use of the English language makes me immediately suspicious of the value of the review. What, for example, is a "cultural lense", which is not an accidental misspelling, as it occurs twice.

Sounds like a book to avoid.
James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
That's the trouble with giving books away, especially books with limited appeal. You attract too many people from outside your target audience.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
The first blog/review does raise some question marks for me.
Ok. the "ago" could be typo and a spell checker wouldn't pick it up since "ago" actually is a real word. So I won't make to much of that.
What does bug me more is references made to mum and nan in a way that makes me feel that this is a rather young person. Good or bad? Don't know, just feels a bit immature in some parts.
However, the "factual" issues raised seem very valid to me. The "one culture" thing and the dialysis issues does make you wonder, if indeed the reviewer/poster has picked them up right.
I must admit I rather enjoyed reading the blog, and apart from for the mum and nan thing (I have problems with supposedly adult persons referring "my mum/dad/nan..." in general, so not just in this blog) I would have said she did some good writing. And not necessarily bad for the book, because it kind of made me curious to see whether I would agree with her or not, and maybe read the book for that reason.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Greenkeeper
Connoisseur
Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greenkeeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, you know what they say, all publicity is good publicity.
Greenkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
Nada y Nadie
Enthusiast
Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
I obviously thank barpurple for reviewing not only on LibraryThing (where she got a free copy) but also on her own personal blog.

Mainly, I know how bad many authors feel when they get a critical review, so I posted this so they can remember it could be worse:

Authors, if you think your 1-star review is bad, take heart. You could get a reviewer who wants to give negative stars!
Nada y Nadie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad review