Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
bcollier
bcollier began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
(another) FIX: New York Times Missing Articles

If you downloaded today's New York Times, Calibre edition, you were missing 2 excellent articles, one from the front page and one from the business section.

Goldman Excludes U.S. Investors From Facebook
DealBook: From Defending to Policing Wall Street

That is because they link to the DealBook blog rather than the standard format. These articles are included in the paid Kindle edition (as are the posts from the BITS blog).

I've made a handful of updates so that Dealbook articles are now included, and formatted exactly like the standard paper (that part took a little doing).
Attached Files
File Type: zip nytimes_sub.zip (8.1 KB, 241 views)
bcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Please switch the recipe back to utf-8 encoding.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
bcollier

UTF-8 Encoded

I'm not 100% sure I understand the encoding thing, but I think this is coded in UTF-8.

For some reason code won't run if I have it UTF encoded (I'm using Idle, Windows) but the UTF works if I copy and paste it into Calibre. If it is not UTF encoded sometimes it gives me a problem in Calibre.

Off Topic:
Just curious, saw your web page, you currently work full time on e-book related things, is that how you make your living? Are you able to make a profit on Calibre yet?

(I study open source development for my PhD)
Attached Files
File Type: zip nytimes_sub_utf.zip (8.1 KB, 210 views)
Old 01-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did the utf-8 conversion for you in trunk, I suggest using the recipe from trunk (it has your changes merged).

Yes, I work full time on calibre, I make enough from donations to allow me to do that.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
bcollier

Another update, please check Bazaar and let me know if it went through.

Good to hear your able to make money of Calibre, it's quite honestly the most innovative open source project I've come across. There is nothing in the close-source market able to do what Calibre does.

I made another change today, and committed the change through bazaar. I'm not 100% sure I did it right since I'm using a Windows-based Bazaar explorer and things aren't quite the same as the guide.

The change was similar to yesterday's change, anything on the Today's Paper page that linked to one of the NYT blogs (Gadgetwise, Media Decoder, etc.) was not being downloaded. I fixed that, and made several modifications to make sure the blogs looked good on the e-readers. I also made an update for pulling summaries from the blog format (including my update for Dealbook yesterday).
Advert
Old 01-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #6
bcollier

Actually first I did commit, then later I had an error message, so after I sent the message above I tried merge. I hope merge doesn't mess anything up.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What branch did you commit to?

If you did

bzr branch

and then bzr commit

on you computer then the changes will still be on your computer. To make them publically available you have to register a branch https://code.launchpad.net/calibre

and push to it from your computer.

Alternatively use bzr send -o patch.txt

and attach patch.txt here.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
bcollier

I think I committed / merged with the launchpad project. lp:calibre. Is there an easy way for me to see what code is in the launchpad project?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You cannot merge to lp:calibre, only I can do that. When you create a bazaar branch of lp:calibre your branch is a duplicate that from then on diverges.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
bcaulf
bcaulf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
bcollier, just wanted to thank you for your work on perfecting the NYT recipe. It is my most important recipe and as you say, there is a big difference between a recipe that is almost right and one that always is perfect, never missing an article.
bcaulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
bcollier

Thanks bcaulf! Glad someone else out there is enjoying the NYT recipe =) If you ever run across something incorrect or missing (e.g. lately stray text from interactive features has been making it's way into the articles, just fixed that) let me know. I don't always notice especially if something is missing.

Kovid, I just submitted a fix (via bazaar) for an issue with stray text, do you wait to push out recipe changes until a new version, or does that happen automatically once you approve the change?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's automatic