Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2010 MobileRead Book Club Vote
The Machine Stops by E. M. Forster 32 24.43%
Anathem by Neal Stephenson 28 21.37%
Under the Dome by Stephen King 29 22.14%
Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan 20 15.27%
A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge 15 11.45%
Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom by Cory Doctorow 7 5.34%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I decided I wanted it, and gave it an unreported third nomination.
Unreported is still unofficial. It needs to be nominated in the thread for the nominations.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-02-2010 at 11:48 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #17
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canterbury Tail View Post
F
I voted for Fire Upon the Deep. Very similar to Anathem in many ways actually, requires a good amount of thought as you go through it to figure it out, but I felt it was better than Anathem in the end. Both good books though.
Really? I'll have to look up Fire Upon The Deep then.
I'm about to re-read Anathem for the third time!

Last edited by m-reader; 01-03-2010 at 02:12 AM.
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 AM   #18
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Under the Dome is not available in Australia, unless you buy a pbook, and I don't read pbooks for pleasure.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:51 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I really didn't expect to see the Steven King lagging behind....
Trouble is, it's blooming expensive. The cheapest I've been able to find it is £13 (about $20) at Waterstones. If you know of a cheaper source that's available to non-US buyers, please do let us know!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:11 AM   #20
heeler
heeler began at the beginning.

Device: any and all!
A Fire Upon The Deep...
Wonderfully written piece of work, a terrific piece of imagination, and brilliant characterizations... You will not be disappointed.

Heeler.
heeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Deleted by OP

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-03-2010 at 08:08 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #22
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Trouble is, it's blooming expensive. The cheapest I've been able to find it is £13 (about $20) at Waterstones. If you know of a cheaper source that's available to non-US buyers, please do let us know!
Understandable.

I'll probably read it in any case at some point.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:08 AM   #23
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because of the extra book in the poll that doesn't belong, this poll is unofficial and all results invalid.
Not as far as I'm concerned. Nate explained it and was kind enough to put the poll in place.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #24
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I really didn't expect to see the Steven King lagging behind....
Steven who?
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:29 PM   #25
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I have an audible account and downloaded and started listening to Under the Dome. I really dont believe I can even finish it....which is quite rare for me. I read before I bought it that the violence was lighter in this book, and focused more on the story line. Ok, that was Wrong. It is a weakness of mine that I cant tolerate watching or reading about that level of violence. So just a warning for any others that might be "wussy" like me. lol.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #26
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
I have an audible account and downloaded and started listening to Under the Dome. I really dont believe I can even finish it....which is quite rare for me. I read before I bought it that the violence was lighter in this book, and focused more on the story line. Ok, that was Wrong. It is a weakness of mine that I cant tolerate watching or reading about that level of violence. So just a warning for any others that might be "wussy" like me. lol.
Thank you for that!

Old 01-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #27
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjfarrell View Post
Thank you, if that's the case I might not enjoy reading it. I'm pretty squeamish.
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 AM   #28
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
I put my vote in for SK I would like to discuss it even if is doesnt win, we could start another thresd right?
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 AM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
I put my vote in for SK I would like to discuss it even if is doesnt win, we could start another thresd right?
There is actually another thread going or proposed to discuss it already.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:32 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billjr13 View Post
Why start another thread when there's one here?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote