Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
skydive
Addict
skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.skydive knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Pocketbook 902 Ver 2.1.3, Virgin Nook STR & Rooted Nook Color CM7
Same here! I also tried facebook page, but it will exit to the last book I was reading. ON the gmail, works ok!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellobob View Post
I updated earlier today. The touchscreen response is definitely much, much better!

I tried to access some email on my gmail account the other day and failed ... just couldn't get back to my inbox. Tried it just now (just for a test) with the update and it works like a charm. The onscreen keyboard also gives me (fat fingers) much fewer mis-types.

A worthwhile download!
skydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM   #17
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Pissed about the lack of setting to control page refresh. This is the single largest problem with the STR for me and it's surprising that this update is based on "user feedback" but the refresh issue is still not addressed. The issue is exacerbated by my love and use of serif fonts.

If they don't fix it by the time the Kindle touch comes out I'm jumping ship.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #18
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Pissed about the lack of setting to control page refresh. This is the single largest problem with the STR for me and it's surprising that this update is based on "user feedback" but the refresh issue is still not addressed. The issue is exacerbated by my love and use of serif fonts.

If they don't fix it by the time the Kindle touch comes out I'm jumping ship.
Which problem(s) would this solve for you? What font and text size do you want to use that is not to your liking?

I may be wrong, but I don't think page refresh frequency is related to font quality (if a font looks crappy, it looks just as crappy after a full page refresh as it does 5 pages later without one). It might solve problems with ghosting or suit someone's preferences around frequency of e-ink 'flash'—neither of which I experience as problems myself.

I do find that text at smallest sizes does not look great (some fonts are better than others). If one could load custom fonts on somehow (as Kobo Touch allows), that could go a long way to addressing this. Alternatively if there were a 'saturation' adjustment that made for a higher ratio of black-to-grey pixels (like Sony), that would help.

Anyway, they ignored my feedback about wanting multi-level TOC support so I also found the update underwhelming.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #19
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Anyway, they ignored my feedback about wanting multi-level TOC support so I also found the update underwhelming.
This is the feature I'd like to have.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #20
markkenzy
Enthusiast
markkenzy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch, Kindle Fire
I don't find any different for this update..., but I think they do a good job enhancing the touch screen. No fail swipe to turn page anymore
markkenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 AM   #21
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Refreshing does clean up the text. By the time you get to the 5th page (with serif fonts its easier to see) you get lots of jaggies and ghosting from previous words and your letters look too faint.

I manually refresh every page (double tap "N" button) and notice the difference -- especially when in direct sunlight.

And I do use alternate fonts. If you edit your epub file you can embed whatever font you want!
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #22
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Did you guys automatically get the update when you turned on wifi or did you have to download it manually. Have had the Nook's wifi turned on for 6 or 7 hours and nothing yet.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:37 AM   #23
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Did you guys automatically get the update when you turned on wifi or did you have to download it manually. Have had the Nook's wifi turned on for 6 or 7 hours and nothing yet.

Carol
It's not a hassle to manually update if you want to download it from here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/c....asp?PID=35681
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 AM   #24
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
It's not a hassle to manually update if you want to download it from here:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/c....asp?PID=35681
Thanks Tim. I did download the update and instructions. I was just wondering if the majority got it automatically or had to do it manually.

Thanks for the link.

Carol
Old 08-12-2011, 02:52 AM   #25
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Thanks Tim. I did download the update and instructions. I was just wondering if the majority got it automatically or had to do it manually.

Thanks for the link.

Carol
It does it automatically, usualiy. I read that B&N Are pushing the update sorted by serial number. Just leave it on with wifi on and all of sudden you will find it on your Nook. I ieft it on for a couple of days and voilà, I returned home and the updated Nook was waiting for me. I have read that it needs to be rebooted, but I actually did not see it, it did all without me being present.
If you are in a hurry, you can do it manually.
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:05 AM   #26
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
I seldom have WiFi on (on the Touch or the earlier Classic), so any time there's an update, I do it manually. With this current update, I did turn WiFi on and waited about 10 minutes and nothing happened, so I turned it off and did it manually.

With my Color Nook, since WiFi is almost always on (for surfing, email, etc), I just let it do it itself.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #27
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brudigia View Post
It does it automatically, usualiy. I read that B&N Are pushing the update sorted by serial number. Just leave it on with wifi on and all of sudden you will find it on your Nook. I ieft it on for a couple of days and voilà, I returned home and the updated Nook was waiting for me. I have read that it needs to be rebooted, but I actually did not see it, it did all without me being present.
If you are in a hurry, you can do it manually.
Thanks. How do you reboot it. Just turn it off and back on?

Carol
Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #28
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I seldom have WiFi on (on the Touch or the earlier Classic), so any time there's an update, I do it manually. With this current update, I did turn WiFi on and waited about 10 minutes and nothing happened, so I turned it off and did it manually.

With my Color Nook, since WiFi is almost always on (for surfing, email, etc), I just let it do it itself.
We usually don't keep it on either, but he left it on so it would update.

Carol
Old 08-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #29
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Refreshing does clean up the text. By the time you get to the 5th page (with serif fonts its easier to see) you get lots of jaggies and ghosting from previous words and your letters look too faint.

I manually refresh every page (double tap "N" button) and notice the difference -- especially when in direct sunlight.

And I do use alternate fonts. If you edit your epub file you can embed whatever font you want!
There may be some individual variation from one Nook to another on this. I really don't see any of this on my Nook.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:38 AM   #30
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Thanks. How do you reboot it. Just turn it off and back on?

Carol
You do not have to reboot it. The nook STR will download the update in the background if WiFi is on. Then, when it is not used, it will apply the update and reboot itself, so you will most likely not notice, unless you are looking at it when it happens to restart itself (it will show a splash screen telling you that it is applying the update).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote