Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #1
velvetsun
velvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle PW2 + Fire + Keyboard, Kobo Aura HD, Nook Glo + HD,
Arrow Help for a Kobo Newbie

Hi everyone,

New here and to the world of Kobo. I have had problems getting answers from the Kobo website, so i thought i would see if anyone here could answer a question for me.

I just received my Aura HD yesterday, and i am noticing that it runs VERY slowly. For a while it was stuck syncing for over an hour (i don't have THAT many books to slow it down). Also, the page turns are very sluggish as well.

Is this just how the device is? Or are there any steps i can take to try and rectify the problems?

I have a Kindle and a Nook, so i am no stranger to eReaders.

velvetsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
velvetsun--
What you're experiencing with your Kobo Aura HD is not at all normal. I have both an Aura HD and a Kindle PW2--and don't notice a difference in how each of them operates. When I tested the page turns on each of them side by side, the Kindle seemed to be just a hair faster--but not something I would notice if they weren't right next to each other.

You might try a basic reset of your Aura HD to see if that helps. If not you might want to go a step further and do a full factory reset--but be warned if you do this, you'll lose everything on your Kobo and have to re-register the device to your account.

Here's a link to Kobo's website that discusses the basic and factory resets:

http://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/artic...r-kobo-ereader

Good luck!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
velvetsun
velvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy bluevelvetsun can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Thanks for the response.

I tried the basic reset and it seems to have helped a bit with the page turn delay...but i had the same problem attempting to sync.

I REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of doing a factory reset. This whole Kobo experience has NOT been a pleasant one for me up to this point LOL. Which sucks because i had been planning on buying one for a long time, and had heard such good things about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
velvetsun--
What you're experiencing with your Kobo Aura HD is not at all normal. I have both an Aura HD and a Kindle PW2--and don't notice a difference in how each of them operates. When I tested the page turns on each of them side by side, the Kindle seemed to be just a hair faster--but not something I would notice if they weren't right next to each other.

You might try a basic reset of your Aura HD to see if that helps. If not you might want to go a step further and do a full factory reset--but be warned if you do this, you'll lose everything on your Kobo and have to re-register the device to your account.

Here's a link to Kobo's website that discusses the basic and factory resets:

http://www.kobo.com/help/en-US/artic...r-kobo-ereader

Good luck!
Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Honestly, I think the factory reset is the next step. Can I ask what hassle you're trying to avoid? If you've got all your books set up through Kobo, they'll sync, and it will just take time (set and forget time, not your time).

If you've got your books set up through Calibre, just make sure you've tagged the ones you want on the device (connect, look at the books on the device, and give them a tag of your choice), and it's pretty trivial to put them back on, again, just taking a little time (not your time, Calibre's time).

If you've organised your shelves on your device and nowhere else, with sideloaded epubs - get thee to the pinned post on organising your shelves with Calibre. This takes time to set up, but it's worth it.

If it's losing annotations and page last read, use KoboUtilities to save them to Calibre.

I suspect it will save you hassle in the long run, rather than avoiding it - and if you contact Kobo Help, they're going to suggest it anyhow.

Last edited by meeera; 09-07-2014 at 09:35 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:06 AM   #5
velvetsun

I performed the factory reset and now the device is completely unresponsive.
Just spent the last half hour on the phone with Kobo customer support and now i just have to wait for them to get around to sending me a replacement (I have already submitted the pictures of the device and copy of my receipt they requested).
Old 09-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
velvetsun--I hope you get your replacement Aura HD shortly and that it works better for you than the one you now have! Sounds like you definitely got a bum unit the first time around.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
velvetsun

Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
velvetsun--I hope you get your replacement Aura HD shortly and that it works better for you than the one you now have! Sounds like you definitely got a bum unit the first time around.
Nothing has been settled as of now. They keep emailing me and telling me to go through all the same steps i have been through over and over (factory resets etc), so i feel like i am running around in circles. I probably should have just stuck with my Kindle. LOL
Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetsun View Post
Nothing has been settled as of now. They keep emailing me and telling me to go through all the same steps i have been through over and over (factory resets etc), so i feel like i am running around in circles. I probably should have just stuck with my Kindle. LOL

Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote