Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 AM   #1
Captain Skurvy
Captain Skurvy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle File Names

Hi

I have purchased a Kindle DX mainly because the iPad is first gen and has issues, B&N's Nook and Sony don't sell outside the US unless you buy 3rd party from eBay and end up with no support of access . . . so Kindle it was as Amazon at least sells to and supports Australian buyers.

This means i am at present converting my current stock of epub and pbd (eReader) books over to Mobi . . .

I have issues with the Kindle but I will leave that for another post . . .

My question is the about the kindle file names. I tried their "support" but all the said was no to altering them and thanks for the feed back on almost anything else i asked about . . .

I use a Mac . . . and i have the Mac Kindle reader along with Stanza, eReader and the excellent Calibre . . . and have been using them for some time . . . my eye sight not being the best i can't read my beloved books any more so it's audio and Read at the computer and now on the Kindle.

I have found the Kindle files on my Mac but they consist of coded file names with no book info e.g. B000JQU1VS_EBOK.azw .

When i plug in the Kindle I see book names with a code at the end . . . e.g. book name-B000JQU1VS_EBOK.azw

God only knows why the difference . . . I was going to transfer direct via USB but with just code names it was not an option as some were already preloaded.
Amazon support's answer - thanks for the feed back.

Anyway i painstakingly downloaded them one at a time to my Kindle over the 3G link . . . When I asked if you can queue books for download all i got back was no . . . a lack on the Kindle

When I look at the book titles in Calibre some of them are slightly different from what they show on the kindle ??? e.g. Banished-book title on Kindle on Calibre just book title

My main question is can I change the file names in the documents folder when the kindle is linked via USB and not cause any issues

I assume i will need to alter all files associated with that title and leave the coded part of the name intact . . .

I was hoping to do it via Calibre but seeing different titles has made me err on the side of caution . . .

What i hope to do is add series and book number e.g. for say lord of the rings the first book I would add LOTR B1.

As some series have up to 20 plus books in them I don't understand why the titles don't have this or why readers on either computers or mobile devices don't have these field like Calibre . . .

If i change the file name will it effect sync etc . . .i guess if know one knows i will have to try it myself . . .

I would be grateful for any input

Captain Skurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #2
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
Short answer - Yes, you can change the file names. I download everything to my computer and transfer via USB so I rename all my books before transferring to my Kindles. I use: LastName, FirstName - Title.azw. This has worked so far with no problems and allows me to keep my backup files on the PC organized.

I don't use Whispernet nor do I Sync my Kindles so I don't know how this would affect that.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 02:22 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Even if you tweak the metadata in calibre to fix inconsistent titles/atohors, it won't 'break' sync/popular highlights. So no issues there either .

However, if you're out of Whispernet range, and you don't switch the filename of the notes file (.mbp) to match the new filename of your book, you'll lose your notes/last page read for that book (if you have any).

That may also force the Kindle to reindex the book.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-14-2010 at 02:25 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cailbre, file names, kindle, mac