Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #1
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Copy editing

Does anyone copy-edit ebooks, or are the files used in print editions just processed through an epub software translation program without any "supervision"?

A book I'm currently reading -- Ocean Fever: The Damian Foxall Story -- deals with ocean racing and italicizes the names of boats. This works fine in the print edition (I looked at it in a bookstore), where a phrase like "Green Dragon was surfing" is displayed correctly. But in my Kobo edition, it will display as "Green Dragonwas surfing". This can be annoying when boats names appear on almost every page.

Also some characters, such as a hyphen, will display as something like oA. Sorry I don't have a real example of that.

In paper books there is a process that ensures that what appears on the page is what the publisher (or author) wants to appear there. Is there no such process in place for ebooks?

I ask out of ignorance, not just to be argumentative, in the belief that some forum members are knowledgeable about such matters.

Tom K.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Tom

Get in touch with Kobo support. I'm pretty sure that the issues you report here are easily fixed on their end and is related to the markup present within the CSS file in the kepub.

I'm sure that this is / was a known issue and was easily fixable by Kobo. Be sure to include the info on the book in question.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Collins Press may have done a bad job with the coding--it's not unheard of.

I am not so sure Kobo can/will do that sort of thing for a particular book, especially if the issue has to do with problems in the file the publisher sent. Kobo made a mess of a whole slew of books some time back, and even in that instance, they were slow to respond and fix their problem. Part of this was because they had to get new files from the Publishers. They did not have to edit/change the file, they just had to make sure that the DRM addition didn't wreck it.

Is the problem with a Kobo formatted book (kepub), or one you sideloaded as an ePUB? Can you try the other version and see if it is better?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I have "The World According To Clarkson" and every time a name of a magazine was mention it would do that, Mobileis.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Is the problem with a Kobo formatted book (kepub), or one you sideloaded as an ePUB? Can you try the other version and see if it is better?
It's a book that I bought from the Kobo store. I don't know if it is kepub, or where to get a different version to check. I buy all my ebooks from Kobo and have noticed this before, but it was particularly bothersome with this book because there were so many italicized boat names. Though I have noticed before that foreign accents, dashes, or other non-alpha/numeric characters often don't get translated properly.

Tom K.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you download the book via Kobo Desktop and sync it on to your device via USB, or if you sync via WiFi with the Touch, it's in kePub format. When you look at the Library view in the Kobo it will show either KOBO EPUB or EPUB.

KOBO EPUB is what is commonly called kepub.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
I believe the problem of italicized text missing a trailing space was caused by a bug in our processing of some books some time ago, and has since been fixed. I would contact customer care and see if there's an updated version of any of your affected books available, or at least alert them to look into reprocessing them.
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanyouthink View Post
I believe the problem of italicized text missing a trailing space was caused by a bug in our processing of some books some time ago, and has since been fixed. I would contact customer care and see if there's an updated version of any of your affected books available, or at least alert them to look into reprocessing them.
I was quite certain it was an issue that had been resolved. Thanks for chiming in
Old 06-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #9
tkavan
Groupie

Trailing spaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanyouthink View Post
Thanks, I've just done that.