Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Poiboi
Poiboi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Reading Comics in Kobo Vox after CBR conversion to EPUB

Would anyone know the best way to convert CBR or CBZ Comics to EPUB that will be readable in Kobo Vox? Using Calibre by the way. The conversions I have done only allow me to struggle to read the dialogue as the comic does not fill the screen on Kobo Vox and it also doesn't allow the zoom option to compensate for this. I could read them online but it defeats the point of having a mobile tablet option!

So if anyone has had better luck in using the settings in Calibre to allow a better reading of comics that have been converted, I would appreciate it.Thanks
Poiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Honestly, why not use perfect viewer...what you propose just seems like an enormous waste of time...unless you just really adore the kobo reader app! :P
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
valar84
valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.valar84 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox + Wifi
I would suggest trying to find an app that can read CBR or CBZ files directly. Apparently, Droid Comic Viewer is a good one, and it's free. I found links to it on the net in one minute.

Otherwise, with the Vox connected to a computer in storage mode, just unzip the files (CBR and CBZ files are basically zip files), each into a different folder that you can then put directly on your Kobo Vox's internal or external memory. Then, you just open your "Gallery" app that allows you to view images on your Vox, the device should detect automatically the new files and show them to you, organized by folder.

Then you simply open one of the images and swipe your way along the comic, with fluid zooming. The only problem is that it doesn't "remember" where you were if you leave and come back, but if these are 30-40-page comics, that shouldn't be a problem. That's what I would do... in fact that's what I did with a certain webcomic I had backed up.

Last edited by valar84; 02-10-2012 at 01:59 PM.
valar84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
mrmatt469
mrmatt469 began at the beginning.

Device: LookBook Shift 3
I have a LookBook Shift 3 and I am also having trouble. The screen is 7" and you might have the same issues that I am. Also using Calibre to convert my CBR & CBZ comics into epub (I can only use epub & pdf files). The pdf will fit the screen, but the text can't be read. When I convert them to epub, they are cutting off on the left and right.

I've tried the settings of different ereaders when loading, some enlarge it where I can only see 1/4 of the page.

The only thing that I found to work is to Tweak the book (after converting it to epub), when the jpg files comes up, there are white gaps on the left & right with the page in the middle. Edit in Paint by moving the image to the left & slide the right margin to the end of the comic. It's an easy process, however, if I had only a few, I would do it, but with 800+ Star Wars comics, that would take a very long time.

Has anyone found a fix for this problem?
mrmatt469 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, kobo vox, updates, vox