Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #31
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
But I think that's largely true of their consumer computers, too - Dell didn't run into problems because the computers weren't reliable; they ran into problems because their computers were perfectly functional low end laptops: somewhat clunky, somewhat heavy, with and indifferent (but functional) keyboard and a low end (but functional) monitor.
So you are saying that Dell's problem is that their computers are too reliable and don't need replacing? Or that even the low-end range of their computers was reliable enough to not need to upgrade to more expensive? I really doubt that the profit margin is any different on their low end and high end models.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #32
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
So you are saying that Dell's problem is that their computers are too reliable and don't need replacing? Or that even the low-end range of their computers was reliable enough to not need to upgrade to more expensive? I really doubt that the profit margin is any different on their low end and high end models.
I don't think reliability hurt them; I was just pointing out that lack of reliability was not their problem.

And, yeah, I think that there is much less profit at the low end. Even if the margin is the same (and I'm not sure that it is), you will make more *profit* on an expensive machine as opposed to a low end machine. This would be similar to the problem that netbook makers had - they sold a lot of machines but made very little profit in doing so because there's just not much left when you're selling a product so cheaply.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #33
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Another happy Dell user here. We've currently got two desktop PCs and a laptop, two of which are pretty old & slow in computer terms, but they seem pretty bomb proof. My desktop is the most recent addition, at less than 2 years old.

I foolishly tried a different PC after a recommendation from a friend, but had nothing but problems with it, so returned to Dell and all is fine again!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #34
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Dell Inc's largest independent shareholder, Southeastern Asset Management Inc, has told the computer maker that a $24.4 billion buyout bid undervalues it, adding to a chorus of investor dissatisfaction with the landmark deal to take it private, two sources close to the situation said.
Not smooth sailing for Mr. Dell. Southeastern wants $24/share, far more than the $13 and change Mr Dell is offering.

Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #35
Dubstepper
Dubstepper began at the beginning.

Device: Fire, K3 3G
Bought a Dell way back. Don't remember if it was good or not. Now I just build my own tower.
Dubstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert