Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
cavgirl
cavgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Streak/Android Tablet
Help with FBReader!

Hi,

Apologies if this is the wrong place, but this query doesn't seem to fit anywhere else!

I've been using FBReader for Windows for years now with no difficulties, but over the past couple of days have experienced a number of problems:

-.txt files began to corrupt when opened with the latest version of FBR (0.12.10 on W7), but there was nothing intrinsically wrong with the files as they opened perfectly in Word/Wordpad/Notepad. One file even turned into Chinese, despite language settings being in English! I tried reinstalling and even doing a system restore - no luck. I then tried an old version of FBR that I have kicking around - 0.8.17 and it works perfectly (including the file above that misbehaved) apart from crashing on exit. I mean, it closes perfectly, but then Windows produces an appcrash log. Possibly this is the fault of Windows 7, but it's still irritating.

So.... does anyone know how to either:
(a) Remove all traces of config settings for the latest version of FBR so that I can reinstall it and get it working without it auto-detecting the old settings? (This after I checked the box to remove config files AND ran CCleaner to eliminate any rogue resgistry entries that might possibly be cluttering things up).

(b) Cure the crash? Two solutions suggest themselves, and I'll try them right now. One is to suppress all appcrash messages altogether, but that seems a little stupid. The other is to tell 0.8.17 that it's actually running on XP, since it always worked flawlessly there. Bah. However, I'm sure I tried that last before with no luck - it was why I upgraded, despite preferring aspects of the old version.
cavgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavgirl View Post
-.txt files began to corrupt when opened with the latest version of FBR (0.12.10 on W7), but there was nothing intrinsically wrong with the files as they opened perfectly in Word/Wordpad/Notepad. One file even turned into Chinese, despite language settings being in English!
Did you try turning off "Automatically Detect Language and Encoding" under Options -> Language? In general, TXT files are hard to deal with because they come with no metadata. If all your TXT files are from one source you will be better off specifying the default language and encoding. If they come from multiple sources, using Calibre (say) to convert them to ePub may be your best bet - although time consuming.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
cavgirl
cavgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Streak/Android Tablet
It may have been playing with that setting that screwed everything up! I was trying to fix random dropped quotation marks and ....! Source-wise, they're all my own - copied from the internet into Wordpad/Notepad and saved there. The files work perfectly in 0.8. Bizarre.

I've had problems using Calibre to convert to epub. More success with FB2 which I'm doing, but then I need the external plugin to launch FBR since I hate the built in reader in Calibre, so it's easier all round to stick to .txt. Having said that, when I download fic from FFN via FLAG, I'm starting to use the epub option there, so eventually the balance will shift. Also, FBR on android doesn't support .txt, so ...!
cavgirl is offline   Reply With Quote