Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #31
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Actually I don't think it is that different. If we take (at current exchange rate of $AUD=$0.97US) then;

$179.99US = $185.33AUD

Now there is an import tariff/duty, which would be either 5% or 10%, so working off 10% that is $18.53. So total now is $203.86AUD. Add 10% GST and we're up to $224.25AUD. So $229 is there about right.

BUT!!! and this is a big BUT, those prices are based off retail price for Sony in the US. Sony would not import those units at their retail price. I think overall we are paying a little extra in comparison but not too much.

I had a discussion with Ectaco (unsuccessful) about the Jetbook and Australian prices. I could buy a Jetbook from Ectaco in the US and have it shipped at the high $45US price to Aus cheaper than I could buy it direct from Ectaco here in Aus (and showed the price difference taking into consideration GST and customs duties).

Now my argument is that the price in the US includes free local delivery, so this price is built into the selling price of the unit (and this was a while ago when the Aussie dollar wasn't as strong). By me buying from the US, that built in price is not needed to be expensed because I have paid the total sum for international shipping, hence a little extra $$$$ for Ectaco.

As the world is a global market now, sellers need to price geographically their goods for sale at comparable prices. Saying the world is global yet charging different amounts depends on country is defeating the purpose of a global market. Now don't get me started on the $650AUD Bebook Neo........
The 2nd JBL I purchased for my wife came to AU$115 including delivery. That is a considerable savings on the RRP of the JPL here.

Agree with you with the BeBook Neo and the Irex prices....Two years back when I looked at an ereader, I believed at the time it was a luxury item to own. In otherwords forget it.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #32
4-eyes
Enthusiast
4-eyes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
My previously described Sony PRS-500 and PRS-600 might provide a clue The PRS-950 is coming out soon.. I will evaluate it when it comes out then decide what I'm doing in the future.

I personally came to the conclusion that Amazon liseuses do not represent a bargain - you're tied in with them until the end of Time.
At least with a Sony Reader I have EPUB and can buy books from any old publisher rather than send all my moola to Amazon..
If you are willing to do a bit of technical messing about (and I would guess that many reading these forums are, and do) then the Kindle is no more restrictive than any other platform.

I use Sony eBookreaders myself but the books I read on them have been purchased in a variety of non-Sony-compatible formats (including Amazon Kindle) and then converted to be Sony readable in ePub format. You can use almost exactly the same process for the Kindle.
4-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #33
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
I think its worse for us in the Eurozone. Usually US prices are 1:1 with the EU prices.

I paid 256 USD for a 3G Kindle 3. which is €185 compared to $189 in the US.
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote