Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast
Gadget Guy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Love my Kobo, but...

There are a few things that are driving me nuts now that I am trying to load my own files onto the device:

1. It adds a bookmark to files that I loaded via ADE or Calibre, but not to the ones I dragged onto the SD card

2. The "I'm Reading" problem - I can not see any of the files I have added to the reader (and opened to see how they looked) in the desktop app, so I can not clean up my "I'm Reading" list

3. Font size issue - it's there on my files, but am hoping the fix that has already been posted works

4. When reading one of my files, if I turn the reader off it does not display the book cover (not a huge issue, but would be nice)

Nothing that would make me want to return the device as I am sure many of the issues will be resolved as time goes on, but if anyone has any thoughts on how to solve some (all) these issues, I would appreciate it!

GG
Gadget Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
Margok
Margok began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Guy View Post
There are a few things that are driving me nuts now that I am trying to load my own files onto the device:

2. The "I'm Reading" problem - I can not see any of the files I have added to the reader (and opened to see how they looked) in the desktop app, so I can not clean up my "I'm Reading" list

GG
Yes!! I totally agree, someone has to post some pictures explaining how to delete books from the I'm reading list. None of the FAQs make sense to me. -_-
And I've got no "i'm reading list" on my desktop app

So I'll just stick around and wait with you, maybe someone would have an answer.

I really hope they would fix these things up as soon as possible, 'cause I definetely looooove the way kobo feels in my hands and I don't want to return it. -_-
Margok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
DoreyR
DoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litterDoreyR doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, iPad 3g, iPhone 3GS, Pandigital (Black, Kobo)
I'm struggling with book management also. I'd really like the desktop app library to match the Reader library. Hopefully some day
DoreyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast

Update to one of the issues

Quote:
4. When reading one of my files, if I turn the reader off it does not display the book cover (not a huge issue, but would be nice)
When I got home tonight, I checked my battery, and my reader showed that it was nearly drained. I pulled my SD card out of the reader, and all of a sudden the cover art for my current book showed when the device was powered off (first time this feature worked for a book I loaded via Calibre/ADE).

Not sure if they are connected, but was glad to see it work. Now to figure out if my battery is no good, or if it just needs to be calibrated.

GG
Old 05-07-2010, 01:32 AM   #5
mfpreach
Enthusiast
mfpreach began at the beginning.

Device: prs-300
Quote:

1. It adds a bookmark to files that I loaded via ADE or Calibre, but not to the ones I dragged onto the SD card

3. Font size issue - it's there on my files, but am hoping the fix that has already been posted works

Nothing that would make me want to return the device as I am sure many of the issues will be resolved as time goes on, but if anyone has any thoughts on how to solve some (all) these issues, I would appreciate it!

GG

3. Open up the ebpub in winrar or winzip (and epub is actually a zipped up file) and delete the stylesheet.css inside it. THat will fix your font size problem.

4. That would be cool I agree.
mfpreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #6
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast

Cover Art Display

Well,

It seems the cover art is not related to the SD card - it seems if I power off the device from the page I am currently reading, it will NOT display the cover art. But...

If I go back to the I'm Reading list, it will display the cover art of the book I have highlighted.

As for the font size, I have yet to try the fix since I normally read with the smallest font size anyway, but given the success of others, I suspect it will work for me too. I just hope the Kobo team fixes it (along with the "I'm Reading" issue) with a firmware update (and soon!).

GG
Old 05-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The cover art thing is because of how the epub is setup. I found I had that issue when there was a cover set on my book but it was not the first page of the book. Here is what you can do.

Open the epub in Calibre and set the metadata, then reconvert the ePub to ePub this will apply the meta data to the epub directly and put the cover on the first page of the epub. Then everything will work correctly.

Regarding the deleting of the stylesheet, I know this works but for everyone that doesn't understand this file does not only control the font size it also applies all other styles so you have to understand that by deleting that file you are removing ALL but the basic formatting from the book. This works fine for most books but might be a little excessive for others.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #8
Gadget Guy
Enthusiast

Interesting inforamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
The cover art thing is because of how the epub is setup. I found I had that issue when there was a cover set on my book but it was not the first page of the book. Here is what you can do.

Open the epub in Calibre and set the metadata, then reconvert the ePub to ePub this will apply the meta data to the epub directly and put the cover on the first page of the epub. Then everything will work correctly.
Thanks - the file does have the cover as the 1st page of the book, and I had applied the metadata to the file before I converted to epub. However, I will try coverting an epub to epub (think I was going from rtf to epub initially) to see if that helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turt99 View Post
Regarding the deleting of the stylesheet, I know this works but for everyone that doesn't understand this file does not only control the font size it also applies all other styles so you have to understand that by deleting that file you are removing ALL but the basic formatting from the book. This works fine for most books but might be a little excessive for others.
Interesting - I did not realize this. I guess I will only try this if I find a book I need to increase the font, or wait until a firmware fixes this issue (assuming it can).

GG
Old 05-07-2010, 12:00 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It only takes a few extra minutes to edit the stylesheet in Notepad. I delete any references to font-size, leaving the rest of the formatting intact. So far, it's worked for every stylesheet I've edited.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfpreach View Post
3. Open up the ebpub in winrar or winzip (and epub is actually a zipped up file) and delete the stylesheet.css inside it. THat will fix your font size problem.

4. That would be cool I agree.
Certainly removing the stylesheet is a work around. Kobo needs to fix the problem. There are side effects from removing the stylesheet like all formatting is gone!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote