Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #16
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
But there is enough memory on iPhone 3GS that predates iPad 1 by many months? Sounds difficult to believe.
If you look at the iPad specs, you'll find that its one generation behind the equivalent phone. iPad 1 has similar specs to iPhone 3G... and that is not supported, nor does it have the grunt to run iOS6.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:24 AM   #17
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
That seems like a very weak excuse. Here is the timeline of the original releases:
  • June 2008 >>> iPhone 3G
  • June 2009 >>> iPhone 3GS
  • April 2010 >>> iPad 1
You can't seriously claim that a device released in April 2010 is to be treated in the same way as a phone released almost 2 years (!) earlier. 2 years is like 2 centuries in the fledgling mobile devices industry.

Last edited by Faterson; 01-13-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky1 View Post
Why? The iPad 1 simply can't handle iOS6. There isn't enough memory when you factor everything in. This isn't anything new from Apple and has been their practice from the start.
256MB RAM in the 3GS which runs iOS6
256MB RAM in the iPad 1 which doesn't.

So the "isn't enough memory" claim doesn't seem to based in reality.

iPad also seem to have a a faster processor than the 3GS.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
256MB RAM in the 3GS which runs iOS6
256MB RAM in the iPad 1 which doesn't.

So the "isn't enough memory" claim doesn't seem to based in reality.

iPad also seem to have a a faster processor than the 3GS.
Isn't it possible that the tablet version of the OS needs more RAM than the phone version? I have no idea, just throwing it out there.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:59 AM   #20
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There was a similar snafu regarding the 4-finger multi-tasking gestures on iPad 1 when iPad 2 was released. Apple claimed there wasn't enough memory on iPad 1 to handle 4-finger gestures. However, most of us got the impression they were mainly trying to promote iPad 2 sales. After severe user backlash, Apple changed their mind and eventually made the 4-finger gestures available on iPad 1 as well.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
All I know is that 3 of my apps—one of which is a favorite—will no longer update because the updates require iOS 6.

But because I especially love the way that one app in particular works on an iPad as opposed to how it operates on an android device, I will be upgrading when the next version of iPad is released.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 AM   #22
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

You're not going to regret it! The Retina screen is incomparable to the "grainy" screen of iPad 1.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Isn't it possible that the tablet version of the OS needs more RAM than the phone version? I have no idea, just throwing it out there.
Possible. But the people making the claims that memory is the reason don't seem to be putting any "possible" or "maybe" qualifiers in their statements, yet they aren't giving any evidence that it is so.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 AM   #24
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

iOS 6 seems like a negligible upgrade to me in terms of features, which is one of the reasons why I'm still on iOS 5 on all my iDevices. (Of course, the Maps etc. etc. fiasco contributed to that, too.) I just can't imagine what might suddenly be so demanding in iOS 6, as opposed to iOS 5, that iPad 1 would be unable to handle it. After all, if there are next to no new features, what would justify the higher demand on hardware?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #25
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes. The larger screen requires more
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #26
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
That seems like a very weak excuse. Here is the timeline of the original releases:
  • June 2008 >>> iPhone 3G
  • June 2009 >>> iPhone 3GS
  • April 2010 >>> iPad 1
You can't seriously claim that a device released in April 2010 is to be treated in the same way as a phone released almost 2 years (!) earlier. 2 years is like 2 centuries in the fledgling mobile devices industry.
I'm not claiming anything. I am stating that for whatever reason, the specs of the current ipads are not the same as the specs for the current iphones and it could be a *reason*. Not an excuse. I'm not excusing Apple's decision to do this kind of thing. The iPods are also not "up to spec"

The same principle is in operation when you look at OSX. Mountain Lion could be installed on my (now sold) 2007 iMac. It could *not* be installed on Macbooks of the same generation.

I was VERY p'd off when Apple released a new iPad only 6 months after the last. My 3 will do for as long as it takes for the mini to go retina... and if it never does, then nor do I.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 01-13-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Yes. The larger screen requires more
It would require more Video RAM, but unless the RAM is shared between CPU and GPU, it shouldn't matter, the screen is the same whether you run 5 or 6, isn't it?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #28
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
The reason why most old Macs don't support Mountain Lion is because of the integration of the newer version of OpenGL. The graphics chips that are used in those Macs have been long gone in terms of upgraded drivers, and rewriting them wasn't worth it as clearly some/majority of us had those 2006 models that were on their last legs anyway. I'd rather them worry about security issues on older systems than writing needless driver updates anyway, IMO. The new feature in ML was mainly iCloud, and I have no problem just using the website on my iMac G4 running Tiger and it's easy enough to get the server information to use with the Calendar, e-mail, and the other apps that support CalDAV.

My theory about the iPad 3 being replaced really quickly (besides to update the port for Lightning) is because of issues with the A5X chip overheating.

The original iPad could have clearly supported most features in iOS 6, but then again like I said in my earlier post, it was missing features that are standard in today's iPad. If you're using the iPad as a reader and a web browser, it's still perfectly fine for that, but if you're using it for recording and processing music, or even editing a picture, there are some APIs that wouldn't work very well with it, especially when it has to deal with the system UI in the background.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #29
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
When the 5th generation iPads and the 2nd generation iPad Mini are introduced, I wonder if they'll be running iOS 7?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #30
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The original iPad could have clearly supported most features in iOS 6, but then again like I said in my earlier post, it was missing features that are standard in today's iPad. If you're using the iPad as a reader and a web browser, it's still perfectly fine for that, but if you're using it for recording and processing music, or even editing a picture, there are some APIs that wouldn't work very well with it, especially when it has to deal with the system UI in the background.
I wish Apple would leave it up to the iPad 1 owner to decide whether they wish to upgrade, despite such multimedia apps not working properly, etc. Like we mentioned earlier, for some of us the main attraction of iOS 6 is the addition of French, German and Spanish dictionaries -- a long-time weakness of iOS that only offered the English dictionary up until iOS 5. I don't need to stress how useful auch dictionaries can be especially when you use your iPad as a reading tool, which iPad 1 can do perfectly fine. It really seems too bad that because of Apple's autocratic decision, iPad 1 owners will be deprived of those 3 new iOS dictionaries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
When the 5th generation iPads and the 2nd generation iPad Mini are introduced, I wonder if they'll be running iOS 7?
I'm 99% certain they will not, if they are introduced in March as usual for new iPads. New versions of iOS typically arrive in the fall. Maybe Apple will skip the March release date and will from now on start releasing new iPads in the fall of each year only, along with new iOS versions.

Tags
ios 6, ipad