Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
redrock
redrock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Where are the Kindle Paperwhite screensavers stored?

I just got a Kindle Paperwhite and I have not yet registered it with Amazon. In a way I would prefer never to do so because I put all books via calibre onto the Kindle. But it looks I need to have it registered in order for being able to organize my books in collections.

I am worried that once I register the Kindle all the beautiful screensavers that are now on the Kindle will get replaced with ads. Correct? Therefore I would like to save them onto my computer, disable wireless after registration, delete all ads from the Kindle and put the original screensavers on it again.

However, I don't find these screensavers on the Kindle. I have it connected to a Mac with OS X 10.8.2 and I made all invisible files visible. I therefore can see the complete file system on the Kindle (or don't I?) - and I don't find any screensavers.

Where are the screensavers? What to I do or think wrong?

My Kindle came with firmware version 5.3.0 - is there any reason to update to 5.3.1?

What is good about jailbreaking a Kindle?

Thanks!

Last edited by redrock; 12-08-2012 at 06:54 PM.
redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Jailbreaking will never get rid of the ads. If you don't like them, the one and only way to get rid of them is to pay the small fee to Amazon. And no, of course you cannot see the complete file system on your Kindle simply by connecting over USB. You won't get any help on how to remove the ads any other way. And you are correct - collections only work once the device is registered.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
redrock
redrock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Ok, thanks. What happens to the original screensavers once I register the Kindle? Are they gone and replaced by ads? If so, can I go back to them by resetting the Kindle?
redrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock View Post
Ok, thanks. What happens to the original screensavers once I register the Kindle? Are they gone and replaced by ads? If so, can I go back to them by resetting the Kindle?
I believe they do not get deleted. If you pay to have ads removed you get your screensaver back. Not sure if deregistering works, but it should. You will loose access to your collections though until you register again.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
Inasmuch as the Kindle screen does not need to be "saved" from energy use or from burn-in when it is not in use, is there not a more appropriate term for this group of images?
Besides, ever since toasters started to fly, "screensavers" always move.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrock View Post
I just got a Kindle Paperwhite and I have not yet registered it with Amazon. In a way I would prefer never to do so because I put all books via calibre onto the Kindle. But it looks I need to have it registered in order for being able to organize my books in collections.
Officially, yes. Unofficially, no - if you jailbreak it and use Collections Manager.

Quote:
I am worried that once I register the Kindle all the beautiful screensavers that are now on the Kindle will get replaced with ads. Correct? Therefore I would like to save them onto my computer, disable wireless after registration, delete all ads from the Kindle and put the original screensavers on it again.
Only if you bought the SO version. Even then, you can disable the ads by paying Amazon 20(?) dollars.

Quote:
However, I don't find these screensavers on the Kindle. I have it connected to a Mac with OS X 10.8.2 and I made all invisible files visible. I therefore can see the complete file system on the Kindle (or don't I?) - and I don't find any screensavers.

Where are the screensavers? What to I do or think wrong?
You won't find them, because you're only seeing a very small part of the filesystem. To get access to all the files, you'll need to jailbreak it and access the device through USB network. The (non-SO) screensavers are located at /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/, as far as I can tell.

Quote:
My Kindle came with firmware version 5.3.0 - is there any reason to update to 5.3.1?

What is good about jailbreaking a Kindle?
About the update, it's personal preference, but I guess that in the long run, you'll be better off with 5.3.1. Concerning jailbreaking, see above.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
Inasmuch as the Kindle screen does not need to be "saved" from energy use or from burn-in when it is not in use, is there not a more appropriate term for this group of images?
Besides, ever since toasters started to fly, "screensavers" always move.
"Sleep screens". But even Amazon calls them screensavers
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
axelPW2
axelPW2 began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You won't find them, because you're only seeing a very small part of the filesystem. To get access to all the files, you'll need to jailbreak it and access the device through USB network. The (non-SO) screensavers are located at /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/, as far as I can tell.
Indeed the screensavers are located at /usr/share/blanket/screensaver/ as I can see them via KUAL and Kindle Explorer. Unfortunately I cannot access that location on my pc with Windows Explorer as I would like to copy them for visualization on my pc. Any hint on how to do that, please? Thank you!
axelPW2 is offline   Reply With Quote