Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #76
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Leir: If you resized them 'live', without restarting the device (which is the right thing to do btw, my "turning it off and on" comment was a dubiously appropriate IT Crowd quote ^^) right away, that's probably what triggered the issue, yes .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #77
Leir
Enthusiast
Leir began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@NiJuLe Uh just to confirm things I did not resize them "live", i added the screensavers when they were 767x1024 and they worked fine. Problem started only when I adjusted the screen to landscape mode.

Resizing the images now, will let you know if it still happens.
Leir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 02:03 PM   #78
Leir
Enthusiast

Still happens. Resized images to fit the kindle paperwhite, set to landscape, put to sleep, custom screensavers does not show up, gets buggy, and screensaver becomes the last page i've read.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #79
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Leir: That's what I meant by 'live'. As soon as you touch the content of the screensavers folder, you *have* to do a full restart right away for the changes to be picked up (and to avoid weird stuff like this happening ^^).
Old 11-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #80
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@Leir: That's what I meant by 'live'. As soon as you touch the content of the screensavers folder, you *have* to do a full restart right away for the changes to be picked up (and to avoid weird stuff like this happening ^^).
ohh... by that do you mean do a restart for hold down the power button for 20 secs?
Advert
Old 11-02-2012, 02:14 PM   #81
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: Nope, a proper restart via the Setting menu.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #82
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
@Leir: Nope, a proper restart via the Setting menu.
Uh oh. Restarted the device, rebooted it, screensavers not coming back up again after i attempted the landscape endeavour...
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #83
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: Still can't reproduce it, so I suspect wonky file sizes/format as the root cause...
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM   #84
Leir
Enthusiast

Quote:
@Leir: Still can't reproduce it, so I suspect wonky file sizes/format as the root cause...
My images are all in png format and are 758 x 1024 resolution
Nvm then, will try again in the morning, thanks for all the help!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #85
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: I've added a few more safety checks in the next version, hopefully it'll help .
Old 11-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #86
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Code:
   121102:234435 system: I linkss:kh_msg::trying to extract cover for B003M68YKM . . .
   121102:234436 system: I linkss:kh_msg::trying to convert /mnt/us/linkss/cover_cache/cover_raw_B003M68YKM.jpeg . . .
   121102:234440 system: I linkss:kh_msg::using B003M68YKM cover as active screensaver
Holy shitballs it works.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #87
Leir
Enthusiast

Edit: silly question
Old 11-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #88
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: Yep, not released yet ^^. (And, no, cf. the first post. You'll be able to just run the new install package without uninstalling anything).
Old 11-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #89
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Leir: The only way I can reproduce this is if one of the files in the rotation is broken/in the wrong format. It seems to screw up for good (even if the next file is okay) until the next reboot/framework restart.

So, yeah, how many custom screensavers do you have? And check that they're all proper PNG files. (A jpg renamed as a .png is a good way to trigger this kind of thing, for example ).
Old 11-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #90
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Here comes v0.2.N!

With it comes the 'cover' feature I hinted at, which I'm quite happy with . It will use the cover of the last (mobi/KF8) book you opened as the current screensaver!

There's also another new small mode, 'last', which will simply take the last thing on screen, and add a small overlay making it clear that the device is asleep.

Check the first post for more details, but, basically:

* To enable the cover mode:
Make sure you've installed the latest version of both Python & the ScreenSavers hack, then drop a blank cover file in the linkss folder, and restart your Kindle.

* To enable the last thing on screen mode:
Make sure you've installed the latest version of the ScreenSavers hack, then drop a blank last file in the linkss folder, and restart your Kindle.

Of course, you can still use your own custom images, as usual . (A few safety checks have been tightened, to avoid running with an empty pool of active screensavers).

The autoreboot feature is also enabled by default.

(A small note for people who might already have stuff in the /mnt/us/python folder (@twobob? ^^): the Python installer will kill & replace this folder, so, back your stuff up ).

A few things to note on the 'cover' mode: extracting & converting the cover takes a noticeable amount of time (~10s), and in addition to that, it's done at a very low priority to avoid impacting the responsiveness of the UI.
To avoid ruining the battery every time a book is opened, the converted covers are kept around, but after a while, they may take a noticeable amount of space. Keep that in mind (especially on the PaperWhite).
So, yeah, try to avoid opening & closing books like crazy when in cover mode .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-03-2012 at 03:54 PM.

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch