Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: When I buy a new ereader device I expect to get updates...
never - it should work when I buy it and have all the features I need 6 6.12%
for ever - they should keep on fixing bugs and providing new features 18 18.37%
for a limited time - eventually I'll have to buy a new model 26 26.53%
bugs fixes for ever, new features for a limited time 43 43.88%
other 5 5.10%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
I'd prefer for them to be tested before release so they don't need bug fixes.
Not possible for any non-trivial system.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Not possible for any non-trivial system.
To be fair I know. I'm a programmer by trade.

You can test the programs a lot more than seems to happen nowadays though, everyone seems to be in such a rush to produce an update, any update, that testing seems to go completely out the window.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
To be fair I know. I'm a programmer by trade.

You can test the programs a lot more than seems to happen nowadays though, everyone seems to be in such a rush to produce an update, any update, that testing seems to go completely out the window.
Yes, there is probably a better middle ground they could strike, but we know that the more extensive the testing , the more cost is added into the product and the longer it takes to bring it to market. Customers seem to dislike those things more than they dislike needing bug fixes later.

And, especially with a device like an ereader, which has to connect to such a variety of other equipment and deal with data from so many uncontrolled sources, it's not possible to test every permutation and fringe case, even if they could all be predicted.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I hope for the best and expect the worst.

I expect the company will fold, or drop support entirely the moment I purchase, so I try to buy stuff that already does what it's supposed to do, and I buy from places with a good return policy, in case my 'expectations' prove near literally true.
+1. Really not a good idea to buy a product based on the promise of future updates.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote