Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
wadea912
wadea912 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
What is this part? Where can I get it?

My Sony Reader PRS-650 is acting up, the Options and Zoom buttons stopped working and eventually it got worse and none of the manual buttons were operating. Being myself I took it apart to fix it/figure out the problem.

Where can I find this part online? Any specific product information?

This is what is damaged, it is the volume button, its split in half and I don't know exactly how that happened, if I unplug this part all the manual keys return but I obviously can't transfer anything by USB or charge it which isn't much help.

Here is a picture of the internals if anyone is curious.

Any advice, I would rather not pay Sony a bunch of money to fix it if I can find a store selling this part online for a couple bucks.

Last edited by wadea912; 03-31-2011 at 06:56 PM.
wadea912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
wadea912
wadea912 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Hello http://iphix.ca/, I hope you got my e-mail and you are currently reading this thread.
wadea912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Best bet is to do a search for a suitable rocker switch but it won't be easy and then you have to remove and replace... it looks to be a multi-layer circuit board, have you ever removed and replaced anything on a multi-layer circuit board... at best it's difficult, at worst you wreck the board... you could also consider checking the broken unit and seeing if you could simply solder it closed which would stop the volume control working but may restore general functionality to the board... I would also ask Sony the cost of them repairing it, it may not be as bad as you expect... good luck.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The part is FPC (JACK) board, part no is A-1786-109-A.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #5
Provincial
Provincial is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thanks for this thread. My PRS-650 seems to have the same affliction. Fortunately it is under warranty.

Thanks for the research and great photos!

Last edited by Provincial; 04-10-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Provincial is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
broken button, options, prs-650, sony, zoom