Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
ruibittencourt
ruibittencourt began at the beginning.

Device: None
Security.

Hello, I'm a brazilian publisher and I want to know if there is some format that I can publish e-books and it could not be copied. Can you help me please? Thanks.
ruibittencourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruibittencourt View Post
Hello, I'm a brazilian publisher and I want to know if there is some format that I can publish e-books and it could not be copied. Can you help me please? Thanks.
Your in trouble now. Most of us are fighting to have publishers REMOVE DRM because it doesn't lock anything except paying customers from the ability to use what they paid for.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Hello, I'm a brazilian publisher and I want to know if there is some format that I can publish e-books and it could not be copied.
No.

Quote:
Can you help me please? Thanks.
You are asking impossible, by definition: You can't protect your content from a legitimate user who has full physical access to the book.
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Invisible ink
Stone carving
Imaginary books
Self-destructing paper
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Seriously, you will sell more books if you offer them in an open format, like ePub, than if you put restrictions all over them that excludes readers of specific formats. I think I speak for many of us who are loyal customers of online ebooksellers when I tell you that ease of access is what keeps us coming back for more.

On the other hand, I purchased a larger, more expensive book set from a seller who will remain nameless. I paid for the books, but they disappeared from my computer after about 3 weeks. I have never bought another book from them and discourage others from using them also.

So which would you rather do - take a chance on an open format to create loyal customers who return again and again, or restrict sales and alienate customers?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
ruibittencourt

I understand you... But think that brazilian publishing market is very different of USA and Europe. Here, if a publisher want to SURVIVE, it has to take care of your content. For example, my bussiness. We publish Law books and we already have a virtual library that works in Flash. You can copy the book, but it's a little hard. But now, if you have the file in .pdf or something like this, it's impossible to controle the number of copies users can do and this way, I can't pay the copyrights for the authors...
Old 03-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
ruibittencourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
...So which would you rather do - take a chance on an open format to create loyal customers who return again and again, or restrict sales and alienate customers?
It's what I want to listen! What you e-readers want?
We are planning to start in this market, but is it economically viable?
I need to pay my structure of 50 employees and the copyright for the author.
And of course, I want a little gain.

Thank you DixieGal for the opinion.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It's what I want to listen! What you e-readers want?
We are planning to start in this market, but is it economically viable?
I need to pay my structure of 50 employees and the copyright for the author.
And of course, I want a little gain.
We are so happy you want to listen to your customers. Your customers want easy to buy and use ebooks in popular format (ePub, LIT, Mobipocket, LRF) that cost less than printed books.

Yes, you can make money. There are others doing it. See Baen, Fable Publishing, Steven Jordan, etc.

Although, I'm guess the ebook market in Brazil might not be too large yet. But, you go to start somewhere.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi ruibittencourt, welcome to the forum. we are always really happy to see publishers coming to discuss epublishing with us.

we recently had some discussions about precisely this topic with two other publishers, one in spain and one in israel.

please take a look at these two threads for some information that might help you :

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37272
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37933
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
ruibittencourt

pilotbob and zelda_pinwheel, thanks a lot!
I'm happy to discuss it with people that really use e-book devices!
Really it just begining in Brazil. But we of Juruá believe in digital formats as the future and we want to be in the front line!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:31 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!

There are several Mobile Read members who speak Portuguese as their first language. Maybe you could start a topic with Portuguese in the title to help them find you and chat about specific concerns related to the language and available content, booksellers, etc.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
pilotbob and zelda_pinwheel, thanks a lot!
I'm happy to discuss it with people that really use e-book devices!
Really it just begining in Brazil. But we of Juruá believe in digital formats as the future and we want to be in the front line!!!
that is great news, congratulations to you and i wish you great success ! in France as well ebooks are just starting and the biggest frustration is lack of content and incompatible formats. It's very important to support the new industry standard format, epub (you can read the first page of this thread for some information about why epub is important, and you can get plenty of technical information and help in the epub forum and in our wiki) for this reason.

DRM should be avoided, even if you have to convince your boss / authors, because it really is ineffective at stopping file copying for someone who really wants to do it, but it causes a lot of trouble for honest customers, and a bad experience with drm will make them not want to come back to the publisher responsible for it. dixiegal mentioned having a bad experience with drm and i also have had trouble like that (i described my problems in those other threads i gave you links for). in fact many people say that drm problems actually encourage piracy, because people are fed up with paying for books only to lose access to them because of drm problems !

i think you will find that there is a percentage of people who do not want to pay for books, and they will never buy them and instead try to find free copies online. but the majority of readers understand that it is important to support authors and publishers and if you provide books at a reasonable price which are easy to find and easy to use (drm-free), you will be able to build a faithful reader base.

it's much more constructive to focus on your legitimate customers and provide a good experience for them, to encourage them to come back, than to worry about pirates and try to stop them (because it can't be done, but in the process the legitimate customers suffer a lot of problems and inconvenience).
Old 03-03-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!

I also think you are smart to bring this technology to Brazil. Brazil has a reputation for being modern and wealthy, and I would imagine you could do well.

They don't call them Brazillionaires for nothing! $$$$$
Old 03-03-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
ruibittencourt

Ok, DixieGal. I'll do this!
Another thing about open formats.
Our authors are afraid that people can modify their text and that it could bring troubles.
What do you think about this?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Ok, DixieGal. I'll do this!
Another thing about open formats.
Our authors are afraid that people can modify their text and that it could bring troubles.
What do you think about this?
i think, if someone is really determined to modify a text, you cannot stop them. so it's a waste of time, energy and money to worry about that. instead you should concentrate on making the best possible buying and reading experience for your customers.

Tags
drm, publisher, publishing