Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #16
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
The low latency, accuracy, and "feel" of the Remarkable are apparently very helpful for artists. Even just making the "sketches" that I need to make for my work, having an accurate display is really helpful, and I'm not at all an artist.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #17
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many!
I own a reMarkable 1 and a reMarkable 2, the latter I got as a pre-order last year, the first was a refurbished item from the company direct.

I'm not overjoyed by the move to a subscription model, however it should be noted that only customers who buy a device after 12th October have to pay the subscription, at least for now. Existing users who bought devices before that date get the Connect subscription for free.

How long the company can keep doing that is anyone's guess. However, for the time being, loyal customers are not being penalised. Just as well really as it would probably be illegal in many countries.

If/when the free subscription plan changes, then there will be real controversy. I hope that, before that day arrives, reMarkable take the sensible step of making it more user friendly to sync and backup their devices via USB, or wi-fi without having to use their cloud service. If they do that, existing customers will not be so upset if the Connect service moves to paid for everyone.

On the screen latency and writing/drawing feel, the reMarkable is still the best device out there. While ePub handling has improved with the last couple of firmware updates, this is still primarily a note-taking device and it still excels at that function, bar none.

I own Boox devices too, and while they are much improved, they are not quite as good for note-taking as reMarkable. Boox have their own strengths, including excellent reader app and the flexibility of the Android ecosystem.

My ideal device would combine the excellent note-taking and ease of use of reMarkable, with the flexibility and versatility of Boox. Sadly it does not yet exist...
Crowriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:49 PM   #18
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowriver View Post
I hope that, before that day arrives, reMarkable take the sensible step of making it more user friendly to sync and backup their devices via USB, or wi-fi without having to use their cloud service. If they do that, existing customers will not be so upset if the Connect service moves to paid for everyone.
you can already upload and download files with a usb connection to your computer.
with a usb cable already connected between your computer and the remarkable, go to

Settings > Storage > turn on USB web interface.

it will show you an IP address.

open up a browser on the connected computer and enter the ip address.

to upload a doc, you can just drag and drop from your computer.

there is no backup option, but you can download all docs on the remarkable to your computer. unfortunately, this is a manual process and you can only download one file at a time.

another option is the freeware application rM2 Template Helper at https://www.freeremarkabletools.com. it allows for more options that you may want.

Last edited by rem736; 11-09-2021 at 06:18 PM.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:08 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermighty View Post
I would probably buy a 7.8" version for reading epubs.
I would not buy any Remarkable for reading ePub. From what I've read, ePub gets converted to PDF. Worthless if this is true.

Besides, you can get a Kobo Sage at 8" to read ePub. costs less and needs no subscription.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #20
Crowriver
Groupie
Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowriver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
you can already upload and download files with a usb connection to your computer.
with a usb cable already connected between your computer and the remarkable, go to

Settings > Storage > turn on USB web interface.

it will show you an IP address.

open up a browser on the connected computer and enter the ip address.

to upload a doc, you can just drag and drop from your computer.

there is no backup option, but you can download all docs on the remarkable to your computer. unfortunately, this is a manual process and you can only download one file at a time.

another option is the freeware application rM2 Template Helper at https://www.freeremarkabletools.com. it allows for more options that you may want.
Yes, I was aware of the USB web interface, and have used it. However it's not brilliant (or wasn't - maybe they improved it with recent updates, but I suspect not).

Currently I've no real need to use USB. If I did I'd look to Remarkable Connection Utility for more functionality than the built-in web interface provides.

I am still hopeful that rM will improve their own offering in this area before inevitably migrating grandfathered users onto a paid Connect plan.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #21
Crowriver
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would not buy any Remarkable for reading ePub. From what I've read, ePub gets converted to PDF. Worthless if this is true.

Besides, you can get a Kobo Sage at 8" to read ePub. costs less and needs no subscription.
I too see no point in an 8" reMarkable when Kobo offers a cheaper alternative. I do think the reMarkable supports ePub format natively, it's just their reader software is (still) not great, though a bit better than it was a year ago.