Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Librarians discuss e-books on latest 1src podcast

Libraries are in crisis as they wrestle with new book technologies, and the availability of inexpensive books which leads many people to buy rather than borrow. But many librarians are thinking about how they can apply technology effectively.

In the latest 1SRC podcast, Alan Grassia sits down with two librarians in Connecticut, and talks about ebooks and how technology is being used in local libraries.

The direct mp3 download is available here. Show notes here.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd literally been told one day before that Teen Tech Week (referenced on the podcast) coincided with Read an E-book Week! Unfortunately, based on the comments in the podcast, it really doesn't sound like e-books are making much of an impact on many library systems.

It seems to me to be connected to the fact that the general public knows next to nothing about e-books... not about what they are, how you read them, how you get them, or what kind of content there is. And it doesn't sound like the library systems are doing enough to get the word out.

Not that I'm saying it's their fault, you understand. But I do get the impression that they're not particularly motivated or enthusiastic about e-books beyond a very few library staffers.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 03-03-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #3
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I've approached a big French book store in my hometown to see if they'd be willing to set up an ebook sales page(or chapter ) on their web site. I even suggested to set it up...talk about feeling like an alien!!!

Librarians are more open to change than book stores, because if something goes wrong they won't be hit in the wallet. Obvioulsly the ebook is definitely too big a change yet. They, like any current power holder, are absolutely terrorized of it. We have quite a deal to go.

My biggest hurdle is in my own household. I'm not that excentric!!! That is again the way ebooks are still regarded.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Some more interesting thoughts on technology and libraries...
http://tametheweb.com/2007/03/ten_te...rarians_1.html
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:34 AM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
My biggest hurdle is in my own household. I'm not that excentric!!! That is again the way ebooks are still regarded.
Same in my home. My wife, who works in press printing, is constantly advising me to get my books printed, then start travelling from bookstore to bookstore and library to library to sell my books. She's not quite a Luddite, she works with a Mac all day, but when it comes to doing anything entertaining with a computer, she can't imagine it!

It continually surprises me how many people will own MP3 players and carry them around constantly, carry cellphones with them constantly, but will look at you funny when you pull out a PDA and stare at it. And for people who aren't that attached to cellphones and MP3 players... a PDA is a toy. An e-book reader must be like a comic book to them.

Sometimes I believe it stems from (are you ready?...) kids playing on portable game devices. Adults don't seem to perceive the difference... and like comic books, if they perceive no difference, they have no way of knowing the difference in sophistication between Spiderman and Ghost In The Shell. (My wife looks down her nose equally at my entire collection of comics and graphic novels, by the way... to her, it's all kid's stuff!)
Advert
Old 03-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
... they have no way of knowing the difference in sophistication between Spiderman and Ghost In The Shell.
While Ghost In The Shell may not compare favorably to Spiderman, it's still pretty sophisticated, for what it is.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
While Ghost In The Shell may not compare favorably to Spiderman, it's still pretty sophisticated, for what it is.
...what! The movie on a video iPod?

The other day I got stares in the doctor's waiting room. They were three kinds. The 'Psp despise' kind from a parent to a kid . The 'curious' from most people and my favorite, the jealous 'what's that?' from the cell-yapping business folks. At that point is wasn't sure if it was the reader or the lighted box, cause the place wasn't well lit. But it was the reader because when their eyes were caught by the box, they lingered on for a long time, trying to figure out "What the ..."
Old 03-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

I can't wait to see what people do with the OLPC PC when it becomes widely available. Imagine walking into a doctor's office or an auto mechanic's store and finding a few OLPC PCs just in case you haven't brought your own to read from. You pick it up, turn it on, and pick out your favorite blog or news site while you wait. If the e-book industry gets their act together, you should be able to read magazines the business subscribes to presented just as if they were printed. One hundred USD for a convertible notebook-tablet is almost here. Why aren't the publishing houses ready? Newspapers are going to die if they can't fully transfer into truly portable electronics
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchoku
Imagine walking into a doctor's office or an auto mechanic's store and finding a few OLPC PCs just in case you haven't brought your own to read from. You pick it up, turn it on, and pick out your favorite blog or news site while you wait.
Okay, someone needs to get their favorite reader's PR department on the phone. This would be a great idea for promotion, placing 5-10 readers in the waiting room, preloaded with men's and women's magazines (the mags would subsidize the devices).
Old 03-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

In the meantime they still have besotting television. But would it be in their interest to wake their customer's intellects from stupor?