Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
jomaweb
Connoisseur
jomaweb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
updated metadata=updated file?

Hi all

Another issue I don't understand about how Calibre is managing my files. When I update som metadata...is the eBook itself (the file) modified in any way?

So, if I delete the database and re-scan my eBooks Folder again will I avoid those annoying "unknow - unknow" directories? or is there another way to manage this issue?

thanks in advance
jomaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
This came up on page 2 below of my thread "Experienced Users". My understanding is that when you update metadata, it is only stored in Calibre's database unless/until you "convert" your files. When you "convert" then the updated metadata can be written into the "new" file. Then you can "Save to Disk" your files. Then when you rescan/readd your books the metadata would come from the book files so in theory all the folder names, etc. would be correct.

But, I am a VERY new user of Calibre and this is what I think I understand based on the posts in the thread below.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 03:05 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Simply changing the metadata in Calibre does not affect any file.

As mentioned earlier if you do a conversion then it is inserted into the output file. This is why one might do a conversion where the input and output formats are the same.

The Metadata will also be put into a book that is added to your eReader by "Send to Device"
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Clariity needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post

The Metadata will also be put into a book that is added to your eReader by "Send to Device"

It is not crystal clear: Does this affect the original in the Library or only the copy sent to the Device?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #5
jomaweb
Connoisseur

Yeah. That's the problem. I got a complete mess. Unknow folders, unknow books. I need something like MediaMonkey feature "auto-organize", that allow to write back the data from the metadata to the file itself and then re-organize the folders according to it.

I'm afraid Calibre is useless to this.
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

It is not crystal clear: Does this affect the original in the Library or only the copy sent to the Device?
It affects the copy written to the device. The library copy is left alone. To affect library copies you need to do a conversion.

Having said that, if you change items like the Author name or Book Title, then Calibre will automatically do the relevant renaming of folders and files inside your Calibre library. That function is independent of changing the data INSIDE the files.

Last edited by itimpi; 01-27-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It affects the copy written to the device. The library copy is left alone. To affect library copies you need to do a conversion.

Having said that, if you change items like the Author name or Book Title, then Calibre will automatically do the relevant renaming of folders and files inside your Calibre library. That function is independent of changing the data INSIDE the files.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #8
jomaweb
Connoisseur

Quote:
So, i don't need to move or send the file to write back the new data. The folder and the file is renamed accordingly to the updated data.

is that what you mean?
Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
itimpi
Wizard

Yes the renaming on the hard disk inside the calibre library area is automatic.

However if you now sent the file to the reader using the "save to disc" option rather than "send to device" although the filname might be correct the embedded metadata will still be wrong. Since most readers display the author/title from the embedded metadata rather than the filename you would see some oddities. This would not occur if you use "Send to Device" as as part of that transfer the embedded metadata is updated.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 PM   #10
Malcolm
Enthusiast
Malcolm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K4PC, Kindle 2, Droid Eris
Metadata updates of books on reader

Just a newby question: When I update the Authors name, the Title and then create the Library all the wonderful new Metadata gives me the outstanding view discussed. However when I select the newly updated book in calibre and click on "Send to Device" I get a copy with all the old bad title and author stuff (a technical term of course).

What I understood from from your post was that the new "Stuff" should now be on my Kindle. Was I wrong or did I do it wrong?
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you're original book was in PRC format, you may have to convert it to MOBI format for the new metadata to show up on the Kindle.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
Malcolm
Enthusiast

Thanks. Since it was an Public Domain Book It probably needs conversion.

So is conversion a recommended practice? Into Mobi or Epub?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 PM   #13
itimpi
Wizard

Can the Kindle handle Epub? I thought it needed mobi?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Malcolm
Enthusiast

@itimpi:

Sorry you're right. The Kindle does not do Epub. So question is should I convert as a rule in order to get Book with updated Metadata into my Kindle?