Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #1
rdean30
rdean30 began at the beginning.

Device: Xoom II
Support for Folders

I think that Calibre supports tag labelling, but what about 'folders'. Such as importing a subdirectories of ebooks. Or creating directory folders in Calibre, to sort your books in. I like keeping my books divided in to subject by folders.
rdean30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdean30 View Post
I think that Calibre supports tag labelling, but what about 'folders'. Such as importing a subdirectories of ebooks. Or creating directory folders in Calibre, to sort your books in. I like keeping my books divided in to subject by folders.
You can add books many different ways, try the right click options.

Either Calibre manages ALL internal folders or you don't want Calibre

Calibre uses Tags to flag subjects. You can have N tags and still only 1 copy of the book.
Read the sticky at the top of Library management.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
... and no, calibre can't read the subfolders and use them to assign tags to the books. Calibre can only read and store information in the filenames, not in the paths.

One way to handle this could be to make a copy of all the books using a batch file, and adding the "subject" of the book to the title/filename of the book. You would have to make the batch file yourself, perhaps from a file listing you import to LibreOffice Calc, and then export to a text file.

Exactly how to do this depends on your OS, the directory structure and the current naming standard of the books. It can get messy.

Perhaps: author - title - subject.format

Then when the books are added to calibre you can read the subject of the book from the filename, along with title and author, and use this to create a hierarchical view of the calibre library, ordered by subject.

Also see this part of the Really Fine Manual: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/sub_groups.html

Last edited by Adoby; 03-02-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
folder, import, sorting