Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #91
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
No, it was not a joke. Amazon in general is considered to have some of the best CS out there. Sounds like the Vine program has their own Rep and I can't comment on that, but don't see what it has to do with their Kindle Support folks.
My experience with the Kindle people have been even worse. Last year I "purchased" all 500 ABNA Kindle excerpts, as an ABNA judge. When the excerpts went unavailable, the 500 excerpts defaulted to identical names and authors and it confused my Kindle 4 PC app such that it crashed every time I tried to access my archived books.

When I called the Kindle support and asked them to "delete all the ABNA 2010 books from my account, or everything purchased on May 24, 2010 - whichever is easiest", I was told that they could not, would not do that for me and the Amazon Rep suspiciously grilled me as to how I "purchased the same book 500 times" like I was some kind of L33T hacker or something. He literally could not understand the situation and he had never heard of the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award, nor could he solve my problem. When I tried to tell him what the ABNA contest was, he didn't believe me.

The only way I could fix the problem was to delete all the ABNA 2010 books from my account manually from the Kindle management page. It took days, and whatever script they use on that page is such a pain for loading times.

Ah well, mileage varies. Probably the CS is fine for regular stuff.

But, then again, my bad experiences with B&N were all for "special circumstances", too, so if we judge a company's CS by the rubric of "how well do they handle the stuff that's written on the company FAQ", then that's a pretty low bar.

Oh, and for the curious, Vine linkage: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Vine

Last edited by anamardoll; 05-12-2011 at 04:32 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #92
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
so sorry about your bad luck. I've never had a problem with the manage my kindle page and I've messed around with it in numerous states and countries. I wouldn't expect or even want anyone else to be managing my subscriptions or books. doesn't even look like you have a kindle fwiw
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #93
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
doesn't even look like you have a kindle fwiw
Does that matter? I have the Kindle 4 PC app. I actually used it long before I ever bought an eReader and it was my experiences with the Kindle CS that caused me to NOT buy one - I didn't like the Kindle account page management and I didn't like how frequently my Kindle 4 PC app crashed.

Granted, this was in the early days - I understand the newer versions of the program are much more stable.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #94
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I know nobody knows for sure, but what's a guess as to the price of an Amazon tablet?
My guess is $299-$349.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #95
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Thanks for the estimates on the price. I'm already contemplating if this is something I could ask my kids to go together and get me for Christmas.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #96
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Does that matter? I have the Kindle 4 PC app. I actually used it long before I ever bought an eReader and it was my experiences with the Kindle CS that caused me to NOT buy one - I didn't like the Kindle account page management and I didn't like how frequently my Kindle 4 PC app crashed.

Granted, this was in the early days - I understand the newer versions of the program are much more stable.
yeah, it does. you've never had a kindle to have an issue with, yet you are ragging on kindle customer service for not managing YOUR personal kindle page wowsers
Old 05-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #97
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
yeah, it does. you've never had a kindle to have an issue with, yet you are ragging on kindle customer service for not managing YOUR personal kindle page wowsers
Wow, fanboi much?

I don't have a Kindle e-Reader. I DO have Kindle books with Amazon and the Kindle 4 PC software on my computer. Whether you like it or not, that DOES make me an Amazon Kindle customer.

I HAVE had a bad experience with Amazon CS in the management of those Kindle books and Kindle software. My issue was NOT with them failing to management my Kindle page for me; my issue was that when they turned off the ABNA 2010 Kindle books that were in my Archive, I could no longer access any of my OTHER Kindle books in my Archive. I tried to work with them to solve the problem by removing the ABNA 2010 books from my account and they (a) couldn't (which is understandable) and (b) were rude to me and uninformed (which is not).

I'm sorry you don't like my CS experience, but the fact that I didn't buy a Kindle e-Reader doesn't invalidate my experience; indeed, it was my experience with the Amazon CS and Kindle 4 PC program that made me decide not to buy a Kindle e-Reader. If their Kindle 4 PC program couldn't access my archived books, how could I be certain a Kindle e-Reader would be able to do any better?

Telling me that I'm not allowed to talk about Amazon CS unless I have your exact version of the Kindle DX is ridiculous.

(If it will make you feel better, I can put KINDLE FOR PC PROGRAM! TIMES TWO! in my profile device list. )

Last edited by anamardoll; 05-13-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:54 PM   #98
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I don't have a Kindle e-Reader. I DO have Kindle books with Amazon and the Kindle 4 PC software on my computer. Whether you like it or not, that DOES make me an Amazon Kindle customer.

--snip--

(If it will make you feel better, I can put KINDLE FOR PC PROGRAM! TIMES TWO! in my profile device list. )
Then I'm a 5x Kindler: Kindle KSO, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iOS, Kindle for PC x2

I'm more Kindled than you are
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #99
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Then I'm a 5x Kindler: Kindle KSO, Kindle for Android, Kindle for iOS, Kindle for PC x2

I'm more Kindled than you are
Can I count Kindle for Android twice since I have it on my smart phone AND my modded Nook Color?

That would make me a Kindle user x3. I have an old desktop around here and a laptop that I could load Kindle on to catch up with you.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:50 PM   #100
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Wow, fanboi much?

I HAVE had a bad experience with Amazon CS in the management of those Kindle books and Kindle software. My issue was NOT with them failing to management my Kindle page for me; my issue was that when they turned off the ABNA 2010 Kindle books that were in my Archive, I could no longer access any of my OTHER Kindle books in my Archive. I tried to work with them to solve the problem by removing the ABNA 2010 books from my account and they (a) couldn't (which is understandable) and (b) were rude to me and uninformed (which is not).

I'm sorry you don't like my CS experience, but the fact that I didn't buy a Kindle e-Reader doesn't invalidate my experience; indeed, it was my experience with the Amazon CS and Kindle 4 PC program that made me decide not to buy a Kindle e-Reader. If their Kindle 4 PC program couldn't access my archived books, how could I be certain a Kindle e-Reader would be able to do any better?

Telling me that I'm not allowed to talk about Amazon CS unless I have your exact version of the Kindle DX is ridiculous.

your entire post tells me that you are the problem as indicated by your incredible lack of attention to detail. here's a little brain exercise; start with DX and see where that takes you
Old 05-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #101
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This post from ReadWriteWeb says Amazon is getting read to introduce several different tablets and a smart phone...and compete on volume/price in the Android market.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...n_the_andr.php
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #102
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Heh,

Steve Bezos:

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I give you the Apad, the Atouch, and the Aphone

Amazon looks like it's going all in on matching Apple mano a mano.
They are putting all the pieces together, and by the Christmas holidays I think it will all be in place.
As for price, I think that Amazon will be competitive with Apple, but that these devices won't be as cheap as people will be proposing.Quality components, quality hardware and quality programming all cost money. We know that you can put out a crap tablet that you have to hack to get any use out of it-there's been a gazillion of those. Amazon isn't going to compromise on quality and UX, so we'll see Amazon undercut Apple, but not by much.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #103
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
As for price, I think that Amazon will be competitive with Apple, but that these devices won't be as cheap as people will be proposing.Quality components, quality hardware and quality programming all cost money.
That would be a mistake. The $500 tablet market is overcrowded. Where they need to compete is the quality $250 market. B&N needs some competition.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #104
treetotree
Connoisseur
treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.treetotree has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle DXG,prs-350, wife k3
I have a DX, and my wife has K3. They are both great. We are Amazon fans.
That said I am itching for a tablet. Because our Kindles work so well, I am holding out for an Amazon tablet.
Can't wait till Christmass.
treetotree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #105
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That would be a mistake. The $500 tablet market is overcrowded. Where they need to compete is the quality $250 market. B&N needs some competition.
Kind of depends on how closely Amazon wants to mirror Apple . Amazon might want to do an Atouch - a 4" PMP like the Ipod Touch . Samsung is coming out with a 4" PMP based on the Galaxy series this summer. An Amazon branded version of that would fit right in at the $150-250 price point , depending on how much storage it has.

Amazon could then have a 10" "Ipad killer" at the $499 plus category. There is a lot more profit margin in that than the $250 7" category. Plus 10" is a lot better for showcasing Amazon's VOD service offerings.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, color tablets, kindle