Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2007, 12:23 AM   #1
ns66
Connoisseur
ns66 doesn't litterns66 doesn't litter

Device: sony reader
Is there java lib to create simple LRF?

I am looking for java class/package/lib for the LRF creation, only the last step is needed (since I don't know the LRF format), I only need to convert txt to LRF, with table of content link, no pic, no special layout necessary

is there suck open source or code available?
or if not, is there document of LRF format available? I mean there are programs out there that can do it...

thanks a lot
ns66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:33 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there's python libraries: libprs500
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
ns66
Connoisseur

i don't know python

i am curious, how that python library is written, by reverse engineering? there got to be specs available?
Old 07-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

google is your friend
Old 07-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
ns66
Connoisseur

why your site libprs500.kovidgoyal.net always got a warning about untrusted security certificate
Advert
Old 07-26-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

because I dont want to pay a certificate authority.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:29 PM   #7
ns66
Connoisseur

i had my own domain before, the isp should take care of that as i recall never ran into that problem
Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https
Old 07-26-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
beowulf573
Addict
beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.beowulf573 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
because I dont want to pay a certificate authority.
FYI, there's always CAcert, however the user does have to import the root certificate.
beowulf573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

thanks.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #11
CoryDog
CoryDog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader PRS-500
LRF/LRS Java Lib

I don't have anything this moment, but this weekend I did start writing an LRS/LRF round tripping tool in Scala which compiles to JVM byte code and works seamlessly with Java.
i.e., All you'll see is a jar file with an API.

(BTW if you currently code in Java. Stop, start coding in Scala. )

Right now its not much more then the first "throw away" so I can get a feel for the LRF format. I think I got a handle on it, including the rather silly implementation of BlockSpace.

Attached is a zip which contains the Wizard of Oz original LRS from PRSLabs.com, and one I generated a couple of hours ago by decompiling Sony's LRF file . (When the code compiled, its all over the place now.) I attached my decompile log file.

I'm making steady progress thanks to the pre-work many have done in figuring out the LRF format. Thank you guys.

I also included a couple of key Scala source files for the interested.

OK, now for the real reason I'm posting. I'm loath to create yet another Source Forge project, yet, now that I'm going from POC to real stuff I'd like to get everything under source control. Does anyone who has a current Sony Reader software project in SF or Google code, etc... willing to share their SVN repository? I would not be checking in anything unrelated to my Sony Reader software and its GPL3.

I'm not writing yet a another format converter, but instead its a BBeB object model with LRF and LRS writers, and LRF, LRS readers with more reader / writers coming. The target is something more like BD.

[Note I removed attachement. Now need to waste space on pre-alpha code. First release in a month.]

Thanks,

Ray

Last edited by CoryDog; 07-30-2007 at 03:16 PM.
CoryDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Umm there already exists a library that represents LRS/F files with an object model. It's called pylrs was originally developed by Falstaff and is maintained by me as a part of libprs500. It's in python.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:14 PM   #13
ns66
Connoisseur

i don't understand why new languages keep coming out, just a waste of time imho. from the early c, c++, to java, can do pretty much anything and it's very mature now, new language might have some benefit at the cost of others, but there's really nothing big to gain anyway, time spent to learn/adapt to a new language can be well spent developing real apps

anyway i think lots of ppl will benefit if there's a java writer available to wrap the lrf detail inside. thanks and looking forward to it
Old 07-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you know how to program picking up a new language should be trivial. Duplicating effort endlessly is a total waste of time.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:50 AM   #15
ns66
Connoisseur

the many languages existed means lots of time wasted duplicating work and porting/learning