Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #91
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctol View Post
I agree in the main that they are science fiction fantasy but to my mind they do contain some space opera elements. I was lucky enough to hear Carter speak at a convention many years ago and he emphatically listed these as a homage to both space opera and ERB.
I remember that Lin Carter did admit that he was a homage writer, going back as far as the Lancer Conan paperbacks.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #92
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
I agree in the main that they are science fiction fantasy but to my mind they do contain some space opera elements. I was lucky enough to hear Carter speak at a convention many years ago and he emphatically listed these as a homage to both space opera and ERB.
I knew Lin back when. He was a nice guy, and did good work as the editor of Ballantine's Adult Fantasy series, spawned in the wake of the success of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. I have a far bit of his stuff in old PB editions.

Lin got classed as a hack, turning out wordage to order. This is not a knock: he was a competent wordsmith who could meet deadlines and turn in copy to editorial specifications. But most of his work was derivative, and I suspect he'll be remembered for his editing more than his writing.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #93
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
I have nothing against sf-fantasy; loved the Darkover books though I didn't particularly think of them as space opera.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #94
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I've heard that "space opera" of the Darkover & Pern sort is usually called "planetary romance".

Since you're willing to do sf-fantasy, Steven Brust's excellent Vlad Taltos series kind of just barely qualifies, since the Jenoine are technically some sort of space aliens and all the humans apparently live on some sort of post-apocalyptic planet along with some other technical space aliens. Though it really is mostly presented in a Lankhmar-ish fantasy city kind of way, with swords and magic and assassins and obstructionist bureaucracy.

But there are plenty of strong female major characters, as one of the technically alien species has no gender barriers for personal/professional achievements the way that most pseudo-medievalish fantasy societies (not to mention in-the-future-we-will-have-amazing-technology-but-no-advances-in-treating-people-equally sf societies) do.

And they're really entertaining books, though they may be insufficiently sfnal to be what you're currently looking for.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #95
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
I've heard that "space opera" of the Darkover & Pern sort is usually called "planetary romance".

Yes, definitely.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 10:30 AM   #96
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm still making my way through Huff's Valor series now, so of course I'm more into spaceships and battling aliens right now than I am into empathetic dragons, but that could really change at any moment
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #97
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Am really suprised that no one has mentioned John W. Campbell's Arcot, Morey, and Wade novels. They are as follows:

The Black Star Passes
Islands Of Space
Invaders From The Infinite
The Ultimate Weapon
As previously mentioned, The Ultimate Weapon is not an AMW novel, but is a space opera.

Other space operas from John W. Campbell include his AARN MUNRO series: The Mightiest Machine and The Incredible Planet.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:28 AM   #98
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The Lensman books hold up far better for me than the Skylark series. Skylark's hero, Richard Seaton, is a little too squeaky clean, and a guy who can destroy an entire sentient alien race (even if they are loathsome Chlorine breathers who want to destroy humanity) without batting an eye or breaking a sweat is a bit much to take.
Somewhere between the Lensman and the Skylark books is Smith's Subspace Explorers.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #99
nyrath
Addict

Bill Baldwin's Helmsman Saga (The Helmsman et al) is a rollicking space opera. It is written very cinematic, almost like a Star Wars movie.

On the other hand, Bill Baldwin has come under scrutiny over the resemblance between his books and books by other authors.

They are still pretty good space operas.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:41 AM   #100
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Somewhere between the Lensman and the Skylark books is Smith's Subspace Explorers.
Hmmmm. Yes. And The Vortex Blaster is set in the Lensman universe, but not part of the Lensman sequence.

Another stand-alone space opera from Smith is The Galaxy Primes.
______
Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #101
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I have nothing against sf-fantasy; loved the Darkover books though I didn't particularly think of them as space opera.
I don't either. They're part of the class of books that sits in the nebulous gray area between SF and fantasy, and could be classed as either.

They have fantasy tropes, like talismans and magic, but they're set on a world humanity got to by starship, and it's pretty clear the "magic" is technology we don't fully understand, and the "gods" and "goddesses" are manifestations of the "Laran" power, but probably not sentient beings as we understand the term.

There is still a Darkover convention held in November of every year.
______
Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #102
Joykins
Wizard

Actually, it is held Thanksgiving weekend every year which is why I've never made it (I wouldn't have to travel far to get there. But we have one major holiday and 2 family birthdays that weekend and it's just too crazy)
Old 02-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #103
fruiter
Connoisseur
fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.fruiter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; WISEreader N526
Space opera! One of my favorite things! I'm going to read this thread later today - thank you in advance for your suggestions, everyone!
fruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #104
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
I've just been writing about this at length :- (including Schmitz) - got through a couple of hundred authors now :-

http://bluetyson.livejournal.com/tag...0space%20opera
Good stuff, and thank you. One nitpick, however: I concur on the quality of Karl Schroeder, but he's not a Macmillan author. Karl is published by Tor Books. Tor is a unit of Holtzbrink, and Macmillan is Holtzbrink's US umbrella, which also includes Farrar, Strauss, and Giroux, Henry Holt, Palgrave Macmillan, Scientific American, St. Martin's Press, and others, but that's a different matter.
______
Dennis
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #105
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Bill Baldwin's Helmsman Saga (The Helmsman et al) is a rollicking space opera. It is written very cinematic, almost like a Star Wars movie.

On the other hand, Bill Baldwin has come under scrutiny over the resemblance between his books and books by other authors.

They are still pretty good space operas.
Bill took a lot of inspiration from historic events as well. The Siege was inspired by The Battle for Stalingrad for instance.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote