Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
MacZap
MacZap began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Cybook, Palm T|X, iPod Touch
Bebook dead - multiple beep

Hi all,

my Bebook has a problem. When I connect the USB cable to charge the battery, the red LED lighton, then the Bebook plays 5 very fast beeps, and shuts off, totally dead.
If I remove the battery, the Bebook boots normally.

It sems a battery problem, but even change the battery with another (not new) battery, the problem still remain.

Some suggestions?

What it means the 5 fast beep at boot?

thanks

MZ
MacZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
Kleki
Connoisseur
Kleki doesn't litterKleki doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (+ an old Hanlin V3)
I have the same problem sometimes. Here's what to do:

1) Take out the battery
2) Boot with USB cable plugged in
3) Replace the battery (cable still plugged in)
4) Wait 10 minutes

Now you should be able to boot without cable again. If not, wait longer in step 4) or try booting with both battery and cable in place.

A similar solution is described on the jinke web site.

While I always get the book working again it is very annoying when this happens out of reach of my laptop. This is really what keeps me from recommending the Hanlin V3.

hth
Kleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
SDRebel
Addict
SDRebel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: astak pro
I have the astak pocket pro (hanlin v5?) and mine is completely dead with four beeps, any idea what could solve it? astak wants me to send it back. Right now i connected it to power without the battery on and still won't boot. I've already tried all the normal stuff.
SDRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 AM   #4
MacZap
MacZap began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, Cybook, Palm T|X, iPod Touch
Thanks Kleki,

I got the same solution withouth understanding the process.

About the 4 beeps (instead of 5) I never see this problem. Maybe some suggestion is in the Jinke site. Kleki, can you post a link to the Jinke page with this suggestions?

Thanks

MZ
MacZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:22 AM   #5
Kleki
Connoisseur
Kleki doesn't litterKleki doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (+ an old Hanlin V3)
The solution for the not booting problem is described in the Jinke FAQ, # 5. But I do not see anything related to SDRebel's problem there.
Kleki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRebel View Post
I have the astak pocket pro (hanlin v5?) and mine is completely dead with four beeps, any idea what could solve it? astak wants me to send it back. Right now i connected it to power without the battery on and still won't boot. I've already tried all the normal stuff.
Try to search astak website for the manual. Else, they probably have a mail / phone contact. And they should be able to tell you what the beeps means.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Try to search astak website for the manual. Else, they probably have a mail / phone contact. And they should be able to tell you what the beeps means.
I called them but they couldn't tell me what 4 beeps meant, they just told me to send it back
Old 09-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
4 beeps typically means that the battery has run down completely. Generally recharging the battery will restore operation. It is not recommended to run without a battery installed and it may not even work, I haven't tried it personally.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
4 beeps typically means that the battery has run down completely. Generally recharging the battery will restore operation. It is not recommended to run without a battery installed and it may not even work, I haven't tried it personally.
I charged it overnight twice with no luck.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I charged it overnight twice with no luck.
As I have told you before in other of the many forums you have posted this problem in that your battery seems to not take a charge or the charger or charging circuit is likely bad.

Dale
Old 09-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
As I have told you before in other of the many forums you have posted this problem in that your battery seems to not take a charge or the charger or charging circuit is likely bad.

Dale
it would make sense except for the following two reasons:
1. Someone else reported the reader working without a battery connected
2. Even if the battery were dead it should still show in the screen that it is charging

you indeed seem to be stalking me and getting rather aggressive as time passes
Old 09-18-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
it would make sense except for the following two reasons:
1. Someone else reported the reader working without a battery connected
2. Even if the battery were dead it should still show in the screen that it is charging

you indeed seem to be stalking me and getting rather aggressive as time passes
Sorry if you think I am stalking. I was just getting frustrated that every thread seems to be another post of the same subject. Perhaps some others have reported but yours seems to dominate.

Dale
Old 09-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
A4-
Connoisseur
A4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheeseA4- can extract oil from cheese

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
In a nutshell that is likely to be your problem. It might even be a loose cable/contact.
Li-Ion batteries have a safety cut-off at around 20-25% (zero % reported by device) if it goes below that it has a chance of exploding when being charged. So when a Li-Ion battery get's drained to much, charging it is (for consumers) impossible. For more detailed information about batteries and the best way to treat them see: http://batteryuniversity.com

My advice, just RMA it (as suggested by Astak) and pick up a pbook for a few days
A4- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #14
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Sorry if you think I am stalking. I was just getting frustrated that every thread seems to be another post of the same subject. Perhaps some others have reported but yours seems to dominate.

Dale
yes, I do get repetitive with things that frustrate me as much, sorry
Old 09-18-2009, 09:56 PM   #15
SDRebel
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4- View Post
In a nutshell that is likely to be your problem. It might even be a loose cable/contact.
Li-Ion batteries have a safety cut-off at around 20-25% (zero % reported by device) if it goes below that it has a chance of exploding when being charged. So when a Li-Ion battery get's drained to much, charging it is (for consumers) impossible. For more detailed information about batteries and the best way to treat them see: http://batteryuniversity.com

My advice, just RMA it (as suggested by Astak) and pick up a pbook for a few days
RMAed it is! I actually sent it out yesterday.

Tags
battery, bebook, beeps, problem