Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
libprs500 News feeds Crash Reader

I converted three news feeds: New York Times, USA Today, and NASA. The fonts on all three are extremely small. When I change the font size the PRS-500 will clear screen then reboot. A few times it will change the font but go clear screen and crash a few pages later. This has happen on all three feeds so its not just related to one of them.

A few extra information, I have the feeds on internal memory and I have 30 megs free storage. Also I have libprs500 v0.4.43

Anyone else experience this??

Last edited by vinniet; 03-27-2008 at 07:34 PM.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's basically a symptom of the reader not being able to handle the advanced features in the new feed fetching code. Hopefully, SONY will fix this in a firmware update. In the meantime, try 0.4.45 (it has bigger fonts for a few feeds)
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would it not be best to use the command line and just set the base font to a larger size so it can stay at small and no need to change the font size?

And if anyone reading this has the problem and doesn't know how to use the command line, google is your friend for searching for web sites to go to to learn how.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm going to bump up the default base font size to 12pt in the next release
Old 03-27-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm going to bump up the default base font size to 12pt in the next release
12 is a bit large. Can you make it 11pt instead?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No I like 12.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I suppose if I want to use any the the profiles, I can always do it via the command line and the base font switch and choose my own size.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:11 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah, I think it's better to err on the side of having a smallest font that's a little too large rather than one that's a little too small
Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #9
vinniet
Connoisseur

Hello ... I downloaded the very newest version of libprs500 and it is still causing crashing. Now I the font is not small, but while the feed is being formated (spinning arrows) it sometimes crash the reader. If it does not crash the reader then the next feed or book will crash it.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Vinnie
Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #10
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
It happens to me all the time if I transfer books using libprs500. As Kovid explained, new feeds are too advanced for reader (they are great for reading/navigating).

I use a command line to create feeds (have a script that automatically runs twice a day), then use Sony software for transferring feeds to the reader. In that case reader doesn't crash.

David
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #11
vinniet
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavtian View Post
It happens to me all the time if I transfer books using libprs500. As Kovid explained, new feeds are too advanced for reader (they are great for reading/navigating).

I use a command line to create feeds (have a script that automatically runs twice a day), then use Sony software for transferring feeds to the reader. In that case reader doesn't crash.

David
Do you mind sharing that script. I would like to do the same thing.

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #12
queen13
queen13 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Never transfer news to PRS reader.
It has some kind of malfunction with news feed.
(Some is working fine, some others are crashing reader)

Then only thing you can do is RESET!!!
queen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #13
vinniet
Connoisseur

This all worked fine a few versions ago, no problem. Even with the new version I never have to do a reset, it always did it on its own.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:54 PM   #14
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by queen13 View Post
Never transfer news to PRS reader.
It has some kind of malfunction with news feed.
(Some is working fine, some others are crashing reader)
Then only thing you can do is RESET!!!
If you transfer through Sony software, it does all the necessary formatting/preprocessing, then reader opens it fine, no crash.

Quote:
This all worked fine a few versions ago, no problem. Even with the new version I never have to do a reset, it always did it on its own.
Kovid keeps improving his software. New version of feeds is much better to read/navigate on the reader. But it's too much preprocessing for limited processor of reader. Just transfer through Sony.

If you don't like or don't want the new version of feeds, you can always use the "web2lrf" instead of "feeds2lrf".

About my script. It's a simple text file, called "GetNews.bat" with lines like this:

cd C:\Temp
feeds2lrf "The New York Times" --username=XXX --password=XXX
feeds2lrf CNN
feeds2lrf mynews.py
etc., etc.

I have WinXP, so I have scheduled a periodic task to run this bat file 6am. It only takes me few minutes to open Sony software and transfer news feeds to the reader. No crashes, all feeds (some of them are over 1,000 pages) open very quickly.

I can't say enough "thanks" to Kovid for making reader a better device. I had a small donation and participated in getting the community-sponsored prs505, have buy more drinks for him soon.
ddavtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:01 PM   #15
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
I get the crash when openning some feeds on my 505 as well. Are you saying that it will NOT crash if you save the feed and add it to the library rather than sending it directly to the 505? If so, I wouldn't mind that extra step if needed.
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libprs500