Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #16
cjschmidt
Thyme Lord
cjschmidt doesn't littercjschmidt doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
I'm going to disagree...

This is actually a pretty slick move by Amazon. The Author's Guild wanted them to cave and buy them off. Amazon isn't giving them more money - they're handing them the rope the ADA & public opinion will hang them with. Once the mythical AI supercomputer is built that can perfectly understand & read literature (and fit in a 1/3" device) - they can exercise their power. Until then... the first publisher with the balls to flag their content is a greedy company that hates disabled people (at least, that's how it will look).
cjschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:32 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjschmidt View Post
I'm going to disagree...

This is actually a pretty slick move by Amazon. The Author's Guild wanted them to cave and buy them off. Amazon isn't giving them more money - they're handing them the rope the ADA & public opinion will hang them with. Once the mythical AI supercomputer is built that can perfectly understand & read literature (and fit in a 1/3" device) - they can exercise their power. Until then... the first publisher with the balls to flag their content hates disabled people.
From the way the press release is written, I think Amazon is going to flag everything by default.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #18
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astromusic View Post
Ahem.... can you give this clueless person a pointer on how one might go about removing DRM?

I was completely BUMMED out about this news and seething about Author's Guild, but this news cheers me up considerably!
We don't openly discuss it because it encourages the pirates, and they annoy the hell out of me. Hopefully someone will discuss this with you privately.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #19
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm surprised. I thought Amazon had a solid position, both legal and contractual.
I think it's safe to say that they did not have a solid position. Does anyone really think they pulled back on a major marketing coup in order to make rights holders feel "more comfortable"?

I think I just saw a pig fly by, outside my window.

I have to admit, I've pretty much come around to the Guild's position on this--which I initially opposed--not on general copyright grounds, but because of the likely violation of huge numbers of individual publishing contracts, which grant or withhold carefully defined rights. I think Amazon finally realized that they should have talked to people first and found out what they could or could not do without encroaching on contractual rights.

That said, I hope they find a way to work it out satisfactorily, and soon--because I think it could help sell ebooks. But that might be difficult, because many publishers of ebooks might not have the rights themselves.

Quote:
But there is an upside. There is an exception to the DMCA that allows for DRM removal of ebooks that have TTS ability disabled. The K2 jeopardized the exception becuase it had TTS for all ebooks. Now that it doesn't, I can legally remove DRM from my ebooks again.
Cool.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 AM   #20
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
This really doesn't make much sense to me. What about people who need text-to-speech function such as the poorly sighted? On a Mac, you can have almost any text read out to you if needed. Not every book is available in audio format so I think it's good to have this text-to-speech function, especially for those who have sight issues.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 02-28-2009 at 03:31 AM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 AM   #21
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
huh..how does Amazon's text to speech help deaf people?

Quote:
This really doesn't make much sense to me. What about people who need text-to-speech function such as the deaf or heard-of-hearing? On a Mac, you can have almost any text read out to you if needed. Not every book is available in audio format so I think it's good to have this text-to-speech function, especially for deaf people.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:28 AM   #22
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Does anyone really think they pulled back on a major marketing coup in order to make rights holders feel "more comfortable"?
Yes, because the amount of content available on the Kindle (because the rights holders have agreed to it) is more a marketing coup than text to speech.

At least in my opinion.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:30 AM   #23
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
This really doesn't make much sense to me. What about people who need text-to-speech function such as the deaf or heard-of-hearing? On a Mac, you can have almost any text read out to you if needed. Not every book is available in audio format so I think it's good to have this text-to-speech function, especially for deaf people.
No one has ever suggested that this function be denied to people with disabilities. (I think you meant people with sight problems, not hearing problems.) I don't know exactly what is required for blind people to have access to special books, but whatever it is, there's no reason such a permissions system couldn't be used for the Kindle, also. And I agree--the K2 could be a real boon to them.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #24
astromusic
astromusic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
We don't openly discuss it because it encourages the pirates, and they annoy the hell out of me. Hopefully someone will discuss this with you privately.
No quarrels about that. I did not expect anyone to post any piracy information here. I was just looking for clues as to where I would go about finding information to enable TTS. I know that several people bought the K2 with sight issues (not legally blind, but have other issues that prevent them from reading for a long time) and were hoping that they could read a while, listen a while, read a while again... you get the picture. I think this is a wonderful thing for somewhat handicapped people. If you are completely blind you probably can't use it (because you won't be able to navigate menus) but for the partial cases, you can really manage well with TTS capability.
astromusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #25
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Yes, because the amount of content available on the Kindle (because the rights holders have agreed to it) is more a marketing coup than text to speech.
The content available for the Kindle was there before the K2 came along. It's a marketing point, to be sure. But a coup? No. The text to speech is what got the buzz. And undoubtedly cost a lot to develop and implement. I don't believe for an instant that they would have backed away from it if their lawyers hadn't said, "Problem!"

Amazon has demonstrated in the past that they really don't care what the Authors Guild thinks or whether they are offending rights holders. It just sounds a lot better to say, "We want them to feel comfortable."
Old 02-28-2009, 03:31 AM   #26
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
huh..how does Amazon's text to speech help deaf people?
Good point. A slip of the keyboard Meant to say blind or hard of sight.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:39 AM   #27
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
So if a DRMed ebook can't be run through TTS software because of the DRM, you can legally remove it. The really cool part is that it doesn't matter why you want to remove the DRM. If a title is available only in eReader, you can remove the DRM. If it is available in MSReader but has the TTS disabled, you can remove the DRM.
Since the text says "when all existing ebook editions of the work" I believe that selling a DRMed version with TTS enabled (maybe at a very high price) automatically makes DRM removal illegal for all other formats.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:54 AM   #28
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I have experimented with the text to speech feature, not to listen to the book, but instead to use it as an automatic page turner. I turn the sound down low that I can not hear it, turn the speed to fast, and set the Kindle on an easel and can read without pushing any buttons.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:01 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The claim that the DRM disability exemption applies to everybody is highly dubious, and has not been tested in court. If you read the DMCA exemptions, they clearly (IMHO) restrict the right to remove DRM to those people suffering from a disability which requires this. It is not a blanket carte blanche for everybody to remove DRM. Think about it. Why have a law which makes DRM removal illegal, with an exemption which legalises it? Politicians are dumb, but not that dumb.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 04:33 AM   #30
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The claim that the DRM disability exemption applies to everybody is highly dubious, and has not been tested in court. If you read the DMCA exemptions, they clearly (IMHO) restrict the right to remove DRM to those people suffering from a disability which requires this. It is not a blanket carte blanche for everybody to remove DRM. Think about it. Why have a law which makes DRM removal illegal, with an exemption which legalises it? Politicians are dumb, but not that dumb.
I would think that whatever reach the law has, it just shows, once again, how ridiculous DRM is and how it's essentially built upon a house of cards. The mere idea that someone would restrict a piece of data I'd bought farely and squarely is what's dumb about all this.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote