Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Progress Indicator for K2 Now Has a Percentage Also!

The User Guide says:
In books, the progress indicator also shows you the overall percentage of the book you have read and a numeric location of where you are reading, so you can easily find a particular passage or reference it to your friends. Locations are the digital answer to page numbers. Changing the text size on Kindle also changes the page numbering, but with locations, you return to the same place every time regardless of the text size.

I still prefer page numbers with text change but I'll take the percentage number; it's way better then the progress bar alone!

Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I hope that port that to K1 firmware. What I'd also like to see is little hash marks along the bar for chapters.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
still goofy I think......I always ask the Mrs how many "dots" she has left to read, now I'll have to ask how much "percent" does she have to read
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Oasis 2 (2017)
It may be "goofy", but there's really no other way to do it when you have variable size text.

The software could conceivably spit out a page number, but it really wouldn't mean much. It would prolly make a few people more comfortable having the word "page" present, but apart from that it wouldn't accomplish much. Your page 43 could be in a completely different spot from your wife's page 43.

Personally I think the new progress bar is a big improvement.
nelamvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I definitely like this feature. and Nelamvr6 is right about the page number..it's fairly meaningless with variable text.
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Does the Kindle not tell you what page you are on out of so many pages? Like 13 out of 876?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #7
nelamvr6
Zealot
nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nelamvr6 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Does the Kindle not tell you what page you are on out of so many pages? Like 13 out of 876?
The K1 lists "locations", so if you were to pick up someone else's Kindle you could find your spot by going to a location.

But of course, with the new "sync" feature you could go right to where you left off if both kindles were associated with the same account...

And now the K2 has a percent read indication.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
shima
読みすぎる
shima began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I like the percentage much better compared to the dots. Hopefully they'll upgrade the firmware in Kindle 1 to do that in the future... in the meanwhile I'll save for a Kindle 2.
shima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #9
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Nope it doesn't, only the Sony does it like that!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I was like, "Why do you need a progress bar?" That explains it.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
But sadly the page number does not correspond to a place in the book so if you change font sizes, it changes, too.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
nelamvr6
Zealot

Well, I guess you could come up with quite a few different schemes to let you know where you are in the book you're reading. I imagine that no matter what scheme your e-reader uses you would eventually get accustomed to it.

I was OK with the dots, but I'm glad to see that the guys at Amazon came up with an improvement...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #13
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
the percentage display is nice. however, when I read at night, let's say, I often flip through the pages of an actual book to see how many til the current chapter is finished. would like that feature on the k2 --pages to next chapter, based on current font size, etc...
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post
Well, I guess you could come up with quite a few different schemes to let you know where you are in the book you're reading.
I still hate the lack of information in the Cybook (it does not show the total length of the book). I think the K2 method looks optimal for MobiPocket books. You get the total length so you can calibrate your estimate of how long a book takes to read, you get percentage you have read so you can pace your reading if you need to finish before a specific day and you get a font independent reference if you need it. And you have a numerical value for the percentage so if you as me like to say that you should read 50 pages before doing something else you can do that now but use for example read 5% instead.

If I was not waiting for the txtr reader I would have been tempted to try to but a K2.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
But sadly the page number does not correspond to a place in the book so if you change font sizes, it changes, too.
I haven't had much of a problem with this. I usually zoom in right when I start a book.