Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Windows 7 x64 and Sony eBook Library

I realize it is very early days for Windows 7 at this point, but I decided to install the x64 version as a VM on my MacBook Pro. So far, it is running very well - better then Vista. The only problem I have is that the Sony eBook Library doesn't run - if I watch processes, I notice it start and then almost immediately stop. It doesn't throw up any error messages. Anyone else try this yet, with better results?
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
I realize it is very early days for Windows 7 at this point, but I decided to install the x64 version as a VM on my MacBook Pro. So far, it is running very well - better then Vista. The only problem I have is that the Sony eBook Library doesn't run - if I watch processes, I notice it start and then almost immediately stop. It doesn't throw up any error messages. Anyone else try this yet, with better results?
Which version of eBook Library are you trying to run?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #3
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2
I have exactly the same issue with windows 7. Software ver: 2.5
Mick4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Mick:
Are you running Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?

Cheers,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The best thing to try is dump x64 Windows 7 and install x32 Windows 7. x64 Windows brings with it a set of baggage you really do not need.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best thing to try is dump x64 Windows 7 and install x32 Windows 7.
He shouldn't have to, since 2.5 handles 64, unless I'm horribly mistaken.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
I had the issue with the 32bit version of 7.
Right click on the ebook Sony program icon and select the menu "Troubleshoot Compatibility".

It will run few tests and ask you if the program run in previous version of windows, indicate Vista and it will open it.

I'm pretty sure it will do also with the 64bit version of 7.
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The best thing to try is dump x64 Windows 7 and install x32 Windows 7. x64 Windows brings with it a set of baggage you really do not need.
I disagree. That is 2003 thinking. 64-Bit XP was a Joke. 64-Bit Vista got a slow start but it is pretty mainstream these days. Check the Best Buy adds, many of the higher end machines ship with 64-Bit. Since Win7 is basically Vista.1 all of the Vista drivers will work just as well in Win7.

Also, if eBook Library works on Vista 64-bit it will work just the same on Win7 64bit.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:45 PM   #9
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
I am afraid you will get problem with VMWare Fusion or Parallel instead.
As known information, USB drivers via Virtual machine may screw up the software communication otherthan x32/x64 coding.
Generally, X64 system can handle most x32 Applicatiions except System application such asAntivirus)
Windows7 beta (kernel 6.1 and will be 7.0 soon) is a real Vista (kernel 6.0)

I confirm the latest sony elib 2.5 work fine on Windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000.0.081212-1400 64Bit Native OS
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #10
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
Right click on the ebook Sony program icon and select the menu "Troubleshoot Compatibility".

It will run few tests and ask you if the program run in previous version of windows, indicate Vista and it will open it.

I'm pretty sure it will do also with the 64bit version of 7.
Thanks for the help! That fixed it. I'll have to wait until next week when I go into the Sony Style store in SF to exchange my 500 for a 505 to verify connectivity, but at least I can browse the store and download books.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 AM   #11
ahintz
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
I am afraid you will get problem with VMWare Fusion or Parallel instead.
As known information, USB drivers via Virtual machine may screw up the software communication otherthan x32/x64 coding.
Generally, X64 system can handle most x32 Applicatiions except System application such asAntivirus)
Windows7 beta (kernel 6.1 and will be 7.0 soon) is a real Vista (kernel 6.0)

I confirm the latest sony elib 2.5 work fine on Windows 7 Beta 1 Build 7000.0.081212-1400 64Bit Native OS
My problem wasn't with USB communication (although I know there can be issues with a VM) - the program wouldn't launch at all until I told it to run under Vista compatibility. If you have been able to get it to launch without using the Troubleshoot Compatibility tool on Windows 7, then perhaps there is something weird with Fusion and Windows 7, although so far the Sony eBook Library software has been the only software I've had any problems with.

In the past, using XP SP3 x86 (32-bit), I haven't had any problems copying books over using the USB cable to my PRS-500. Where the USB issue has cropped up is in updating the firmware of the Reader. For that I've had to use a PC I have lying around. Fortunately, I don't have to do that too often!
Old 01-13-2009, 07:01 AM   #12
Pendergast
Pendergast began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
It worked like a charm!!!!
Great great thanks

Pendergast
Pendergast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #13
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobVA View Post
Mick:
Are you running Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?

Cheers,
Bob
64 bit. I've reluctantly gone back to Vista as none of my DVD drives worked with Win7. I like Win7 a lot and will move to it on its release.
Mick4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:17 AM   #14
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
My only problem with the ebook library and win7 x64 is that, if I sync long enough, that it'll trigger a memory leak in the process. This is pretty annoying when I'd like to sync collections.

Unfortunately, my only respite so far has been to wipe the reader's memory and try again.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
intwtl
intwtl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo H2O Ver2
I also cannot install the reader software 2.5 on Windows 7 32 bit. It at first appears to install then when I try to run the program the activity circle runs but no program.

When I attempt to install it using the troubleshoot compatability mode still no joy.

Anyone found a solution ?
intwtl is offline   Reply With Quote